T Nation

German Body Comp for Athletes?

I recently decided to quit competitive olympic weightlifting after 6 years and want to get lean and healthy.

im about 5’11" , 203lbs and around 15-18% bodyfat.

I was looking at the poliquin german body-comp for athletes

it looks hard, but effective. any one tried it or have any opinions or other recommendations for programing?

i eat mostly paleo with a carb up meal once ever 5 days or so.

Charles Trolliquin strikes again.

NHL Star gains 11.5 pounds of PURE muscle in 4 weeks?

Lol

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

Lol[/quote]

first off is says 6 weeks not 4.

and second of all im well aware its pretty much impossible for any not steroid abuser to gain that much lean mass in that time frame. doesn’t mean its for sure not an effective program

Juggernaut method

why’d you quit? got bored with the monotony of it, don’t like competing?? Just wondering :slight_smile:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
why’d you quit? got bored with the monotony of it, don’t like competing?? Just wondering :)[/quote]

Im retiring because #1 I have come to relize and accept that im not a genetic freek and thats what i would need to be to achieve my goals of competing internationally.

#2 its just not fun anymore, i would rather do other things to stay fit.

#3 there are a lot of things that i want to do that i could never do if Weightlifting was number one, like coach football, get ahead in my carrier etc…

#4 i just feel like if i keep going the way im going, ill look back and regret spending so much of my youth in a sport that im just not build or born to do.

do what you want, isnt that the point of quitting said current sport…

There are a lot of options available “to stay fit”, but I like german volume training and my own variants of high volume, fast paced training, using antagonists supersets. The necessary lower weights fit the bill for my old, easily strained joints and the fast pace gives me some fat burning effect. I also agree with your paleo diet. Try it for a while and see what you get.

Im going to give it a shot, like “bignate” said, im gona do what i want, and right now I want to challenge myself with this program. Stick with it for 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

finished my first week of the german body comp for athletes program. so far i really like it, the workouts are less then an hour (after warm-up) but you get a ton of work done in that time, very dense training.

I had my body fat taken on thursday and will do so again in another 4-5 weeks once im done.

I will post the results here.

once i finish i hope to try out the advanced german volume training.

[quote]tork94 wrote:

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:

Lol[/quote]

first off is says 6 weeks not 4.

and second of all im well aware its pretty much impossible for any not steroid abuser to gain that much lean mass in that time frame. doesn’t mean its for sure not an effective program
[/quote]

I know it’s du jour to hate on Poliquin atm, but it isn’t so far-fetched when you consider those results come from off-season athletes on a hypertrophy cycle. A lot of the mass is being regained, so while CP isn’t being completely candid, he isn’t lying, either.

just started week 3 today. workouts still feel really hard, but are getting slightly easier despite being up 10-15lbs on very exercise. so im getting stronger and in better aerboic and anaerobic shape. body weight is the same, but i think i may be a bit leaner (hard to tell for sure after only 2 weeks).

I love all the extra time i have out of the gym going from 15hours/week down to just 4.5

will do for another 3 weeks or so, get my fat% taken again. do one week of light re/pre-hab and will start the advanced german volume training with 2 good buddies.

having fun in the weight room again!

I loved German Volume Training, never made gains like it before or since. Just couldn’t handle being in pain all the time.

hey guys, just got back from my biosignature dude.

I have actually gained 2lbs from the start of the program (5.5 weeks) and have 2 workouts left to finish.

the great thing is that even though i gained weight, ALL of my skinfolds are the lowest they have ever been taken at! I think my triceps are the same skinfold but most others are down significantly.

Will up-date with the actual numbers once he emails them to me.

My strength also increases fairly nicely for a program not focused on pure strength, and my recovery between sets was noticeably improved.

Overall, very happy with my progress and with the program.

I had amazing results from that program. I personally hold Poliquin in high regard - I’ve made fantastic gains from his programs. I did six weeks of the AGBC program last fall and it was amazing. All my lifts went up throughout the program. My starting weight was 286; in three weeks, my weight went up to 293 while I became noticeably leaner. After that, my weight continued to drop for the rest of the program, down to 280. I dropped from a tight size 38 pants to a loose 36, which was awesome. Unfortunately, I gained a lot of that weight back by going back to my previous pepsi-swilling diet and long rest intervals.

I’m planning on running the program again in a couple weeks. Congratulations on your success!

Also, Advanced German Volume Training is awesome. Just follow it the way he lays it out, only repeating a particular movement every other workout. I tried to do it first with the same movement every time, and I just ended up overtrained.

[quote]KingKai25 wrote:
I had amazing results from that program. I personally hold Poliquin in high regard - I’ve made fantastic gains from his programs. I did six weeks of the AGBC program last fall and it was amazing. All my lifts went up throughout the program. My starting weight was 286; in three weeks, my weight went up to 293 while I became noticeably leaner. After that, my weight continued to drop for the rest of the program, down to 280. I dropped from a tight size 38 pants to a loose 36, which was awesome. Unfortunately, I gained a lot of that weight back by going back to my previous pepsi-swilling diet and long rest intervals.

I’m planning on running the program again in a couple weeks. Congratulations on your success!

Also, Advanced German Volume Training is awesome. Just follow it the way he lays it out, only repeating a particular movement every other workout. I tried to do it first with the same movement every time, and I just ended up overtrained.[/quote]

thanks for the advice. Im having a bit of a de-load week next week while i get my first prolotherapy treatment on my patella tendon tears.

but after the de-load im doing the advanced german volume training with 2 friends.

good luck to you

ok, the results are in. And im thrilled.

In 6 weeks i went from 204 and 18.1% bodyfat to 208 and 16.2% bodyfat!

im still not as lean is i would like, but to drop 2% and gain 4lbs is awesome. so that’s gain of 8.4lbs of fat free mass and a loss of 4.4lbs of fat mass if my calculations are correct.

worked my ass off, nearly puking after the workout at least 4 times during the 6 weeks

That’s pretty good results! You mentioned eating paleo style, did you stick with it for the entire 6 weeks? And I din’t see any mention of conditioning work you’d be doing throughout this, what did you end up doing to supplement the strength training?

[quote]jldume wrote:
That’s pretty good results! You mentioned eating paleo style, did you stick with it for the entire 6 weeks? And I din’t see any mention of conditioning work you’d be doing throughout this, what did you end up doing to supplement the strength training?[/quote]

I ate just about 100% paleo except for PWO shakes and BCAA druing the workout.

i have 30g of BCAA with 10g Glutimine during workouts, and the PWO shake was 40g whey, 20g glutamine, 10 glycine and 5 creatine.

I had a Carb-up MEAL after Friday nights session each week, which was kept “clean” (usually lots of meat, veggies with tons of yam or quinoa)

Trust me, the 45 seconds rest, highish reps and long TUT did more then enough as far as conditioning, ie, i was breathing hard, the entire time i was in the gym (usually around 50mins after warm-up).
other then a few walks to get some blood in to my legs the day after the 10/6 squat sessions, i did ZERO conditioning work or cardio besides the actual GBC for Athletes program.

[quote]tork94 wrote:

[quote]jldume wrote:
That’s pretty good results! You mentioned eating paleo style, did you stick with it for the entire 6 weeks? And I din’t see any mention of conditioning work you’d be doing throughout this, what did you end up doing to supplement the strength training?[/quote]

I ate just about 100% paleo except for PWO shakes and BCAA druing the workout.

i have 30g of BCAA with 10g Glutimine during workouts, and the PWO shake was 40g whey, 20g glutamine, 10 glycine and 5 creatine.

I had a Carb-up MEAL after Friday nights session each week, which was kept “clean” (usually lots of meat, veggies with tons of yam or quinoa)

Trust me, the 45 seconds rest, highish reps and long TUT did more then enough as far as conditioning, ie, i was breathing hard, the entire time i was in the gym (usually around 50mins after warm-up).
other then a few walks to get some blood in to my legs the day after the 10/6 squat sessions, i did ZERO conditioning work or cardio besides the actual GBC for Athletes program.[/quote]

Yeah the program itself is supposed to take care of the conditioning work. Each workout was sufficiently hard that I didn’t really need more work afterward.