T Nation

GERD Treatment

My question is for any GIs or physicians who treat GERD.

I am being treated for GERD as that is what my doc believes is causing my asthma.

He put me on a PPI (omeprazole 40mg/day).

It is making me tired, fatigued and weak.

I wanted to try to treat this another way, without meds.

I would always eat right before bed so I’m going to stop that.

I’ve also read that some physicians think GERD is caused from too little stomach acid. Is there any validity to this?

[quote]ANIMAL M0THER wrote:

[/quote]
Okay first off, Why do you believe the medicine is causing this?

I have prescribed this medicine for a long time and have NEVER had this complaint.
GI disturbances, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, etc.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[/quote]
Okay first off, Why do you believe the medicine is causing this?

I have prescribed this medicine for a long time and have NEVER had this complaint.
GI disturbances, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, etc.
[/quote]

Because its the only thing in my life/diet that has changed. Im also feeling a little jittery too.

I’ve never heard of this side effect of a PPI either. Nevertheless…as far as meds go, could ask to be switched to an H2 blocker.

Other things to consider:

–Ask to be checked for H. pylori infection.

If you want to avoid all meds, try these lifestyle mods:

1. No eating before bed (as you mention)
  2. Identify ‘trigger foods,’ and avoid them
  3. Elevate the head of your bed 4-6 inches with blocks, books, etc, or with a foam insert under your mattress.
  4. Sleep on your right side
  5. Avoid tobacco and alcohol
  6. If you’re overweight, lose weight

If all else fails, ask if you’re a good candidate for a Nissen fundoplication or related procedure.

I’m more of a proponent of looking into why you had those issues rather than adding the PPI in. I have read a lot about the possible causes for GERD and that it could actually be caused by insufficient HCl. If you can boost your digestion by adding more HCl you may be able to improve your GERD. There is a digestion thread in the nutrition section where a bunch of us talked about different ways to improve digestion.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
I’ve never heard of this side effect of a PPI either. Nevertheless…as far as meds go, could ask to be switched to an H2 blocker.

3. Elevate the head of your bed 4-6 inches with blocks, books, etc, or with a foam insert under your mattress.

If all else fails, ask if you’re a good candidate for a Nissen fundoplication or related procedure.[/quote]
All of this and ED was a first for me, but that is medicine, so who knows.

I suffer from GERD if I eat pizza or spaghetti, so guess what I dont eat that ever. Maybe twice a year and I have to load up on Zantac hours before I eat.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

If all else fails, ask if you’re a good candidate for a Nissen fundoplication or related procedure.[/quote]

I suffer from GERD if I eat pizza or spaghetti, so guess what I dont eat that ever. Maybe twice a year and I have to load up on Zantac hours before I eat. [/quote]

Pizza and chocolate for me. But since losing a substantial amount of weight, I find I can have these without difficulty IF I don’t overdo it. On those rare occasions when I overeat these items, I take a double-dose of PPI before going to bed, and keep the Tums handy in case I get breakthrough reflux in the middle of the night.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

I suffer from GERD if I eat pizza or spaghetti, so guess what I dont eat that ever. Maybe twice a year and I have to load up on Zantac hours before I eat. [/quote]

Pizza and chocolate for me. But since losing a substantial amount of weight, I find I can have these without difficulty IF I don’t overdo it. On those rare occasions when I overeat these items, I take a double-dose of PPI before going to bed, and keep the Tums handy in case I get breakthrough reflux in the middle of the night.
[/quote]
Same here, I am down to 205 and going for 195 by the end of next week, but in the past waking up in the middle of the night when it feels like I was shot in the gut SUCKS.

Its just easier to avoid the pizza.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]
Same here, I am down to 205 and going for 195 by the end of next week, but in the past waking up in the middle of the night when it feels like I was shot in the gut SUCKS.

Its just easier to avoid the pizza. [/quote]

Do you have abs like the EyeDentist yet? That dude is in shape!

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:

[/quote]

Its just easier to avoid the pizza. [/quote]

Do you have abs like the EyeDentist yet? That dude is in shape!
[/quote]
Lol, as a former 305 pound fat man, I do not believe I could have abs like that unless I was held in prison and starved for 3 years.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Lol, as a former 305 pound fat man, I do not believe I could have abs like that unless I was held in prison and starved for 3 years. [/quote]

:slight_smile:

Labs came back. Vitamin D is a little low and a small amount of blood in urine. Labs are to be repeated.

Labs came back. Vitamin D is a little low and a small amount of blood in urine. Labs are to be repeated.[/quote]
? how old are you, if you dont mind me asking.

Did they do a H Pylori?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Labs came back. Vitamin D is a little low and a small amount of blood in urine. Labs are to be repeated.[/quote]
? how old are you, if you dont mind me asking.

Did they do a H Pylori? [/quote]

im 30. no h pylori test yet.

Im reading about a link between low vitamin D and asthma.

Asthma is what i was originally being treated for. And i work shift work at night. i don’t see the sun much.

Low b12 is another trigger for GERD and PPI’s can cause worse of a deficiency. Not something that triggers asthma but thought it was useful info to throw out regardless.

I suffer from GERD and after years spent taking Omeprazol, and still getting symptoms, I was advised by a doctor to stop taking them and manage the problem.

My problems also flair up when I have a cold which is in a loose way connected to your Asthma. Irritation of the wind pipe and oesophagus brings on GERD and vice versa. The constant irritation from the stomach acid will be adding to your asthma problems. And for what it’s worth, I was also suffering from fatigue (one of the reasons that the doc suggested stopping meds)

One of the main problems I get is a cough when I lie down - but the guys on here a right - manage it. You’ll probably have an idea of the foods and drinks that add to the problem. And most of the things you can do avoid GERD are good for you. Don’t eat late at night, eat little and often, avoid rich sauces, spicy foods, pastas, heavy pizzas etc. It’s a nutrition win tbh!

Another reason I changed the way I dealt with it - and learnt more about it was low mood / mild depression which, it turns out, can be brought on by GERD.

Anyone else had symptoms like these?

Q.

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
Low b12 is another trigger for GERD and PPI’s can cause worse of a deficiency. Not something that triggers asthma but thought it was useful info to throw out regardless. [/quote]
I hate to say this sir, but you have two long time experienced medical professionals who have discussed this in here. I find that in all medical related issues you feel you need to diagnose and treat, what exactly quantifies you as having any knowledge in medicine?
Are you a med student? Do you have ANY medial qualifications? Because you can read a fucking study does not in anyway shape or form qualify you to give medical advice to anyone.

maybe try drinking ginger tea?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
maybe try drinking ginger tea? [/quote]
This can help.

Turmeric tea can help (can be found at asian markets).

A couple dashes of Angostura bitters in water can help.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
I hate to say this sir, but you have two long time experienced medical professionals who have discussed this in here. I find that in all medical related issues you feel you need to diagnose and treat, what exactly quantifies you as having any knowledge in medicine?
Are you a med student? Do you have ANY medial qualifications? Because you can read a fucking study does not in anyway shape or form qualify you to give medical advice to anyone. [/quote]

Ok…? I am just saying a cause of GERD that I mentioned probably not related to OP. Just thought it was good info to look into for anyone that would want to investigate it. It is a cheap test and doesn’t take away from other treatment options. PPI’s can make it worse because again it causes poorer absorption of b12. I learned this studying nutrition it is not exactly very hard info to come across. You’re attitude towards me on the other hand is unwarranted and unnecessary. I am not here offering medical advice or trying to diagnose medical conditions. Just putting useful information on the subject topic I read about in schooling before. I am not attending medical school nor am I a medical student.