Georgia Moon

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

I don’t know what you just said…but I have three jars of SOGM in my closet. [/quote]

How do you drink it? ( Cold, room temp, straight, on the rocks, mixed with coke…)

Do you use for cooking ( I am thinking about using it in a marinade and stews.)

I was surprised at how much I liked it just room temp, straight and also mixed with coke.
The only other whiskey I like to drink is Laphroaig 50% volume, single malt, straight.
[/quote]

Room temperature out of the mason jar. That is how it is made to be drank.[/quote]

Thank you!

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Well, on the being rambling, I had just drunk some of the stuff. And most of the time I’m not known for being extremely concise and to the point anyway. :wink:

And while it’s true I could have written “Bought some 'shine. It was good. Usually I don’t like cheap booze but am totally not a snob like some people that are only pretending not to like cheap stuff. Those are the real snobs,” my main interest really was in why all the hateful bloggings about this particular product.

Does it really taste bad to many?

Or is it a snob objection?

I don’t know, and was asking opinions. In my rambling way.

[/quote]

I get what your saying. There are plenty of cheap bourbons that are tasty. Rebel Yell is damn good.

Moonshine can be drunk many ways. Ice, warm, some people soak it with cherries.

check this out. This old man was sentenced to two years in prison for moon-shining. He killed himself rather than go to jail.

If you get ahold of some real shine…it might donkey kick ya in the dick! Shits stroong!

Knew a guy that made it in his garage. Could set it on fire when he put some in a spoon. Never tried it but was cool to see.

Be careful with the real stuff, if made poorly can result in permanent vision loss. That being said great for campfires, don’t waste it by trying to blow fire out of your mouth. You might burn your eyebrows off (this actually happened to my Dad in college).

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
The purpose of letting alcohol age is twofold:

(1) to remove wood alcohol, formaldehydes, and other nasty organics out of the brew, which do not necessarily impact taste but can be dangerous and/or cause nasty hangovers. (Depending on what you start with, they degrade, react with charcol, have a different vapor point and largely evaporate, or are absorbed into the wood cask.)

and

(2) to impart taste by absorbotion of other impurities and/or modification of the congeners, typically various other organics of chared wood/oil.

Issue No. 1 is probably taken care of by some more careful chemistry and modern food science.

No. 2 is a matter of taste, and, as you note, an optional thing.

As an aside, the “introduced” impurities and/or intentional congeners that give the traditional taste of whiskey, while not dangerous (like, say, wood alcohol taken care of in step one) also cause hangovers, so, assuming No. 1 is taken care of by science, this clear whiskey (which is a lot more like vodka than whiskey) would probably give you less of a hangover.

Indeed, I would opine that such coloress stuff is a “vodka” rather than a “whiskey,” lack of potatoes or not.[/quote]

I, too, thought of it as vodka.

Your post is interesting.

I have access to ethanol 200 proof ( sssh, don’t tell Bill Roberts.).

Can you teach me how to distill that stuff into something that will not dissolve my internal organs?

80 proof isn’t shine.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Be careful with the real stuff, if made poorly can result in permanent vision loss. That being said great for campfires, don’t waste it by trying to blow fire out of your mouth. You might burn your eyebrows off (this actually happened to my Dad in college).[/quote]

Most people who make moonshine these days do it as a rare, illegal art.
Georgia Moon is watered down, un-aged bourbon. Which IMO makes it much more drinkable than the real thing.
Most bourbons cook to about 150 to 160 proof, then get watered down to about 120 proof, barreled and aged to about 140 to 160 proof (I think) through water loss/evaporation, then get diluted back 80 to 100 proof for bottling.

Personally, I am a big fan of Bookers which is just a form of uncut Jim Beam.

[quote]Bambi wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

I don’t know what you just said…but I have three jars of SOGM in my closet. [/quote]

How do you drink it? ( Cold, room temp, straight, on the rocks, mixed with coke…)

Do you use for cooking ( I am thinking about using it in a marinade and stews.)

I was surprised at how much I liked it just room temp, straight and also mixed with coke.
The only other whiskey I like to drink is Laphroaig 50% volume, single malt, straight.
[/quote]

If you like that get whisky (not whiskey that’s Irish stuff) from isle of Islay, straight with ice. Brilliant stuff.[/quote]

No such thing as straight with ice.[/quote]

Sorry I meant straight. Mind wandered. Editing it now

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

Can you teach me how to distill that stuff into something that will not dissolve my internal organs?[/quote]

No, I brew beer, not shine — although we did, indeed, make shine in the Hillel House at MIT – used regular brick charcoal to filter it. It was nasty, gave me a headache, so I stuck to beer we made.

Assuming it is potable, 200 proof (pure ethanol, or everclear) should be ready to drink — although I would mix it with something. It’s basically double-strength vodka. Treat it accordingly.

Most “pure” ethanol is for some sort of industrial use and has a denaturant added to it that makes you puke and/or makes it take like shit. By design, the denaturant has the same/very similar vapor point as ethanol itself, so it’s very difficult to remove outside of a serious chem lab setup.

Note, I have a grand total of 16 credits undergrad organic chem that was required of all engineering students 20+ years ago, so I am sure a chemical engineer could figure some way of doing it that I cannot.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
MIT [/quote]

Moderately Incompetent Trade school?

Boo MIT. Yay booze.

We actually made beer and whiskey at “GIT”. Made some awesome mead.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

Can you teach me how to distill that stuff into something that will not dissolve my internal organs?[/quote]

No, I brew beer, not shine — although we did, indeed, make shine in the Hillel House at MIT – used regular brick charcoal to filter it. It was nasty, gave me a headache, so I stuck to beer we made.

Assuming it is potable, 200 proof (pure ethanol, or everclear) should be ready to drink — although I would mix it with something. It’s basically double-strength vodka. Treat it accordingly.

Most “pure” ethanol is for some sort of industrial use and has a denaturant added to it that makes you puke and/or makes it take like shit. By design, the denaturant has the same/very similar vapor point as ethanol itself, so it’s very difficult to remove outside of a serious chem lab setup.

Note, I have a grand total of 16 credits undergrad organic chem that was required of all engineering students 20+ years ago, so I am sure a chemical engineer could figure some way of doing it that I cannot.[/quote]

…you know, I have been sneaking into his lab and wondering what concoctions can one make here ( sans explosions, of course, of course.).
Maybe I should just continue to encourage him to come up with another MAG-10 Destroyer, The Legend, for you guys…

Wouldn’t it be awesome to produce some sort of Moonshine pro hormone?

Step one: Dissolve the testicles of a Chinese musk deer in a mixture of Diethyl Ether and Hexane at a 2:1 ratio.

Step two: On the rotovap; convert androstenol from the alpha molecule to Beta ( thus making it legal.).

Step three: Send the powder to the NMR.

Step five: Mix it into a stable solution.

Step four: Test on the wife
( he does test things on me so that you, Biotest customer, can be totally safe.).

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

Note, I have a grand total of 16 credits undergrad organic chem that was required of all engineering students 20+ years ago, so I am sure a chemical engineer could figure some way of doing it that I cannot.[/quote]

…you know, I have been sneaking into his lab and wondering what concoctions can one make here ( sans explosions, of course, of course.).
Maybe I should just continue to encourage him to come up with another MAG-10 Destroyer, The Legend, for you guys…

Wouldn’t it be awesome to produce some sort of Moonshine pro hormone?

Step one: Dissolve the testicles of a Chinese musk deer in a mixture of Diethyl Ether and Hexane at a 2:1 ratio.

Step two: On the rotovap; convert androstenol from the alpha molecule to Beta ( thus making it legal.).

Step three: Send the powder to the NMR.

Step five: Mix it into a stable solution.

Step four: Test on the wife
( he does test things on me so that you, Biotest customer, can be totally safe.).

Edit: Oops, I posted from the wrong computer…

Sorry, Lagavulin 16 > Laphroig :slight_smile:

Lagavulin 12 > 16

Caol Ila 18 > Lag 16,12,Laphroig

Hangar One vodka > all other vodka

Hooligans!

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Sorry, Lagavulin 16 > Laphroig :slight_smile:

Lagavulin 12 > 16

Caol Ila 18 > Lag 16,12,Laphroig [/quote]

And don’t forget Cachaca 51.

:slight_smile:

You can actually make moonshine legally, you just can’t sell it without paying the taxes on it, and meeting health code. I used to have a book explaining how to make a still, purportedly so you could modify your car to run on pure ethanol(I was interested, until you get far enough in to find out your MPG sucks on pure eth, plus the cost of a tank would make gas look cheap). It is perfectly legal, but I believe you are limited to how much you can produce. If it appears you are producing more than one could logically consume, then you have legal issues. This is, of course, assuming the ATFE or whomever finds out in the first place.