T Nation

George Leeman as a coach


#1

Has any of you trained with him?He claims to give his clients some amazing results and his progress over the years was incredible too,so I was just curious


#2

He’s the American deadlift record holder atm, and one of the strongest dudes I’ve ever seen. He’s also very open about many things in his life and I enjoy getting to watch the content he provides for us, so I’d say he’s a great choice for a coach lol.


#3

I’m gonna say no because I think online coaching is usually very flawed. I think George is a great guy but most of the info he puts out is anecdotal and is just what works for him, in regards to powerlifting I think you could do better, has he even done a full meet? I think you’d be better off investing elsewhere.


#4

Being a guy with ape genetics doesn’t make you a good coach automatically.


#5

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Being a guy with ape genetics doesn’t make you a good coach automatically.[/quote]

Absolutely right, but I’m sure the OP is somewhat of a novice. That in my eyes makes any training regime invaluable.

I personally would never hire a coach. I’d love to BE coached by George Leeman (as a novice), but it’s not worth the money as any training you do is likely just as good if you get into a pattern of PR’s (which isn’t hard unless you’ve been lifting for 5 years plus.


#6

I don’t plan on hiring a coach either.My training is going great so no real reason to change anything.I was just curious if anyone has trained with him and seen these outstanding results


#7

What kind of coaching are you seeking? Anything specific in mind? There are tons of other great (more proven) coaches who provide online coaching services. Sheiko comes to mind if you’re looking for a powerlifting specific coaching.


#8

[quote]Benanything wrote:
What kind of coaching are you seeking? Anything specific in mind? There are tons of other great (more proven) coaches who provide online coaching services. Sheiko comes to mind if you’re looking for a powerlifting specific coaching.[/quote]

I don’t look for a coach.I just wanted to see if anyone has trained with George and had these amazing results he claims


#9

I hate to say bad things about anyone, but I hired him about 2.5 months ago. Upon hire I gave him my schedule, and my odd injury with my arm which limits when I can and can’t lift a certain muscle. I thought he’d really work with me to figure it out, and really help with my deadlift.

When asking questions before purchase, he was quick to respond.

After purchase, it took about 2 weeks to get a program. The program simply will not work for me, not due to the program itself, but how much volume. I have an hour to lift a day, that’s it, he had me doing hundreds of reps. I couldn’t get past bench, and I had 7 others it’s to do, on Monday.

I reminded him again of my hour limit, his response was to ask me if I can lift at a different time or lift longer. No

His response time is atrocious, taking anywhere from 2 days to a full week t respond. He never responds the same day, ever.

Posting videos for him to review, explain the pain I receive in areas when lifting his way, he just basically ignores it and wants you to lift just like he does.

His programs are great, but you need 2 hours a day to lift. All you need to do is take a normal bodybuilding program, and change the 3x10 to 5x20, and that’s it.

I will say his PROM program is very good, I truly believe in the program to deadlift. It is very stiff at 40 dollars, but it is good.

Now, like someone said above, he is very open about his life. From watching his videos it looks like he has a lot of personal issues happening right now, and they started right around the time of my purchase. The only reason why I haven’t asked for a refund is because of this.

For example, my last correspondence with him was the second week of November. He hasn’t asked about my training, and I’m not emailing him to see how long it takes him to ask about his client.

All in all, I do not recommend him as an online coach. As a person, great guy. As an athlete, impressive as they come. As a coach, pass.


#10

I am a huge leeman fan, followed his logs and progress for years. if you look up online lot of reddit users say all his program are cookie cutter. but if you look up his logs youll see its exactly the way he trains. I know his PROM program Is terrific though and if you look through his bb.com logs you will find him explaining It in perfect detail years before he started selling it.

youll make good progress if you follow his stuff but can you blame him really? it might feel like youre getting ripped off on the custom program part but the mans got his own training, 100s of clients, videos to make, and he probably depends on this as his income for rent, drugs, food, ect. hes a nice guy but I think he may have taken on more clients than he can handle.

if youre looking for someone to be with you all along the way id suggest hiring someone like ben rice


#11

ask reed


#12

[quote]PlutoTheGod wrote:
I am a huge leeman fan, followed his logs and progress for years. if you look up online lot of reddit users say all his program are cookie cutter. but if you look up his logs youll see its exactly the way he trains. I know his PROM program Is terrific though and if you look through his bb.com logs you will find him explaining It in perfect detail years before he started selling it.

youll make good progress if you follow his stuff but can you blame him really? it might feel like youre getting ripped off on the custom program part but the mans got his own training, 100s of clients, videos to make, and he probably depends on this as his income for rent, drugs, food, ect. hes a nice guy but I think he may have taken on more clients than he can handle.

if youre looking for someone to be with you all along the way id suggest hiring someone like ben rice [/quote]

I dunno, if I’m paying for Personal Training, I’d expect some of the Personal part…

Also, if I’m getting personal training, I’d expect the program to be the best program for me, personally, not the best program for my trainer.


#13

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]PlutoTheGod wrote:
I am a huge leeman fan, followed his logs and progress for years. if you look up online lot of reddit users say all his program are cookie cutter. but if you look up his logs youll see its exactly the way he trains. I know his PROM program Is terrific though and if you look through his bb.com logs you will find him explaining It in perfect detail years before he started selling it.

youll make good progress if you follow his stuff but can you blame him really? it might feel like youre getting ripped off on the custom program part but the mans got his own training, 100s of clients, videos to make, and he probably depends on this as his income for rent, drugs, food, ect. hes a nice guy but I think he may have taken on more clients than he can handle.

if youre looking for someone to be with you all along the way id suggest hiring someone like ben rice [/quote]

I dunno, if I’m paying for Personal Training, I’d expect some of the Personal part…

Also, if I’m getting personal training, I’d expect the program to be the best program for me, personally, not the best program for my trainer.[/quote]

Exactly this. The program works great for Leeman as proven by his results, but I asked for a powerlifting program for a specific meet, not a program to help my deadlift only. I’ve felt my squat and bench decrease in the past 2 months, but I don’t know if that is due to sickness or not (had a cold I can’t kick).

$350 dollars is a lot of money to spend for 5 email communications and a canned workout I had to customize with him / myself to make it work with my schedule and injuries.

I am very confident it is due to his personal issues right now. Before his breakup, there was youtube videos constantly, now they simply stopped. He’s crushed, so if you use him, gauge his YouTube channel to find out when he is back at it if you want any sort of responses.

As it is right now, I’ve taken $350 dollars and thrown $325 of it away.


#14

Great guy and very responsive to me. Problem was is that the programming he gives out you better have 2-3 hours on training days to do it. Especially the lower body days. Upwards of 40 something work sets with not exactly light weight. You also better be on gear period flat. Would probably also help to not have a job, a girl friend who will feed you perfectly and you better not miss a minute of sleep. If you can do that then you will grow like a fucking toddler.

Also I did hit a pretty massive squat PR of 700lbs on the platform and managed to pull 655 in the gym which was a 30lbs PR. I noticed a ton of muscle mass added especially to my traps and legs. I am not working with him now as I had to move on as there is no way I could keep up with the volume f training and time with a full time job, personal training on the side, serving papers, seeing my family, and everything else.

However I learned a ton from George and m keeping and incorporating a lot of his higher rep stuff in the offseason. Also I highly enjoyed his PROM Deadlift Program even when cutting the volume in almost half I sa great progress.


#15

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]PlutoTheGod wrote:
I am a huge leeman fan, followed his logs and progress for years. if you look up online lot of reddit users say all his program are cookie cutter. but if you look up his logs youll see its exactly the way he trains. I know his PROM program Is terrific though and if you look through his bb.com logs you will find him explaining It in perfect detail years before he started selling it.

youll make good progress if you follow his stuff but can you blame him really? it might feel like youre getting ripped off on the custom program part but the mans got his own training, 100s of clients, videos to make, and he probably depends on this as his income for rent, drugs, food, ect. hes a nice guy but I think he may have taken on more clients than he can handle.

if youre looking for someone to be with you all along the way id suggest hiring someone like ben rice [/quote]

I dunno, if I’m paying for Personal Training, I’d expect some of the Personal part…

Also, if I’m getting personal training, I’d expect the program to be the best program for me, personally, not the best program for my trainer.[/quote]

Exactly this. The program works great for Leeman as proven by his results, but I asked for a powerlifting program for a specific meet, not a program to help my deadlift only. I’ve felt my squat and bench decrease in the past 2 months, but I don’t know if that is due to sickness or not (had a cold I can’t kick).

$350 dollars is a lot of money to spend for 5 email communications and a canned workout I had to customize with him / myself to make it work with my schedule and injuries.

I am very confident it is due to his personal issues right now. Before his breakup, there was youtube videos constantly, now they simply stopped. He’s crushed, so if you use him, gauge his YouTube channel to find out when he is back at it if you want any sort of responses.

As it is right now, I’ve taken $350 dollars and thrown $325 of it away.[/quote]

Yeah, hes pretty damn depressed and looking at him you can tell hes lost weight. I also message him on fb once a month or so and he always replies, for about 6 weeks he hasn’t even been on. I feel bad for him and can only hope hes working toward 1000lbs harder than ever and not just getting high being depressed. he made his best gains while he was depressed honestly


#16

I truly believe my lack of response / effort is due to his personal issues. Like Reed said, he was quick to respond to him. I’m assuming Reed doesn’t consider 3 days quick to respond, so I can only assume he either doesn’t give a shit about me, or he has personal issues going on.


#17

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:
I truly believe my lack of response / effort is due to his personal issues. Like Reed said, he was quick to respond to him. I’m assuming Reed doesn’t consider 3 days quick to respond, so I can only assume he either doesn’t give a shit about me, or he has personal issues going on.[/quote]

With in 24hours easily usually faster especially if on Facebook. This was before all the stuff happened with Tessa recently


#18

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:
I truly believe my lack of response / effort is due to his personal issues. Like Reed said, he was quick to respond to him. I’m assuming Reed doesn’t consider 3 days quick to respond, so I can only assume he either doesn’t give a shit about me, or he has personal issues going on.[/quote]

With in 24hours easily usually faster especially if on Facebook. This was before all the stuff happened with Tessa recently[/quote]

My communication was only email, no facebook messaging, so that may be part of it. Young kids these days use facebook as a form of communication, it is the new text, I refuse to change my old ways haha.


#19

Letting his strength and coaching aside I’ve read George’s logs 10+ times each and he always was depressed.The past couple months he looked really happy and now seeing him like this is really sad.I really hope he gets better


#20

Isn’t this the guy who trashed Wendler’s and Rippetoe’s programs?

If I was going to hire a coach, it’d be one who was renowned for his clients, not his own results.

Wonder what CT’s coaching costs…