T Nation

George H. W. Bush Dies at 94

“I been reading some posts on the internet like the badass I am and I determined you’s a lil bitch.”

Fucking scary. I’m worried of getting my internet ass kicked.

Apologies for the late reply. I’m encouraged to hear of your heart for service. It’s truly the deepest obligation of citizenship. It’s very cool that you’re going the SWO route while also studying poli sci.

No worries on the lit references. I’m hardly a SME. You certainly have a gift for the field. I’d be happy to pass on anything of interest I come across going forward (iron sharpens iron, after all).

War On the Rocks is a publication I think you’d particularly enjoy. It has a bent toward realism and security studies and has a robust following within the military community. Seems right up your alley.

P.S., do you have grad school ambitions after finishing your B.A.?

This is trite ahistorical isolationism. Contrary to the radical libertarian pipe dream, it’s well within American strategic and economic interests to be keenly involved in world politics. America is a disroportiately powerful state and thus has a disproportionate duty to international society. The post WWII world order America constructed has been nothing short of a golden age. There has never been a more secure or more prosperous period of human history. Pax Americana is predicated upon American economic and military preeminence and the United States hegemonic benevolence.

I don’t really care to address your Rand Paul rantings, but do you honestly believe that US involvement in the Civil War (which was undeniably predicated upon the issue of slavery) and WWII were wars of choice?

Outside of the shit historiography above, there was a strong case for the American use of atomic arms at the end of WWII. The projected Allied and Japanese casualties from an amphibious assault of the Japanese home islands was astronomical. One can make a cogent argument that dropping the bombs saved many American and Japanese lives.

Also, the Soviet Union (not sure who these Russians are you’re referring to) invaded Japanese held Manchuria shortly after the bombs dropped. They were intimately involved in active military operations against the Japanese up to V-J Day. Some analysts even postulate that this was the straw that broke the Japanese back (e.g., Mearsheimer in The Tragedy of Great Power Politics).

Are you sure you were responding to me? I don’t recall engaging with the WW2 aspect of this thread.

I think he misquoted.

I believe so too.

Apologies, that was directed toward Dasein.

No apologies necessary. Was just making sure.

Appreciate the compliments.

Did a brief scan of War on the Rocks, seems to be a good piece. Lot’s of articles on the not so sexy topics, which I find is generally a good indicator that the content actually matters. Will have to keep an eye on that. By all means, if you have any good reads, shoot them my way. Always interested to find new outlets.

I am most certainly going to get my masters, but not right away. Very few Academy guys go to study right after, and it can be a bit of a hindrance on your career. I am ready to hit the fleet for now, and then will pursue a graduate degree during my shore tour. There are a few programs that could have me study at Oxford or Cambridge that I am rather interested in, and I’ve got a spot waiting for me at Georgetown (so long as a certain professor doesn’t retire anyway) in their defense and strategic studies program, which also looks like a good option to me. Then there is another side of me that has always wanted to get a Law Degree. I think which route I go will largely be dictated by if I decide to make a full career out of the Navy, or just do my five. Right now, I am inclined towards career, but not naive enough to think my mind won’t change a half a dozen times on that in the future. Lots of change coming up for me this year, moving out, getting married, heading to my first ship. I can’t say for certain which way I will go, but hey I am young, so I will just keep all my options available and work towards making myself as capable as can be in whichever field I choose to pursue.

Certainly by no means done with my education, but right now it is more important for me to focus on learning the ropes to be a good Officer, rather than pursue more in depth the inner workings of political theory. My take anyway.

WOTR has really grown over the years and is highly impactful in military circles, the intelligence community, and the enclaves of policy oriented academia. They have a great podcast as well (on that topic, War on the Rocks, Horns of a Dilemma, Net Assessment, Bombshell, and Intelligence Matters are some of the better PCs I’ve come across in the field).

Strategy Bridge is another great site.

Oxford and Cambridge are excellent of course (especially if you go the DPhil/Phd given the shortened timeframe of UK degrees), though I’d say if you’re pursuing an MA in Security Studies or a related field, Georgetown takes the cake (George Washington has a similar program that is also top tier).

You could also look at something like a grad cert to inform the direction you’d like to take further study and build your CV/SME. Texas A&M Is a top 25 IR program that offers a 4 course online grad cert that has several concentrations options (it also has the virtue of being a public school and a senior military college with strong ties to the national security establishment).

American University also has an IR MA program that is top 10. They offer an rigorous online MA that is popular with the military community in relevant job classes.

Finally, Princeton has an accelerated full-time poli sci PhD program for military officers. David Petraeus is the most prominent graduate.

Of course, this is all presupposing you want to stay in the poli sci or IR field.

Like I have said, there appears to be no limit for how much war, misery, and bloodshed people are able to rationalize and explain away as “Pax-Americana,” or Manifest Destiny, or whatever other monikers we can dream up.

Youre right that the US certainly has an economic and political interest in international society. Where do we draw the line? Does that justify all of the regime change the US has been involved in since WWII in Latin America and the Middle East? Does that justify giving aid to Israel or planeloads of money to Iran? Why do we even hear politicians or pundits ask about “what Israel thinks” when it comes to US foreign policy?

There are many aspects of foreign and domestic policy that many Americans dont agree with and can essentially do nothing about. It’s not as simple as electing different politicians because the system is rotten to the core. There is too much money invovled in politics. And politicians dont appear to have the interest of people at heart in their decisions.

I am not libertarian and I dont believe in a strict policy of isolationism, but I dont support sending men to die in wars that are not necessary for preserving the union. Of course, someone who knows as much about history as you do should know how many wars the US has been invovled in since its inception. How many were necessary?

I am not going to pretend like 620k men, the almost all of whom were white, dying in order to end slavery, was a good, noble, or glorious deed, that’s not even considering the fact that many people today shit on all the men who died in the Civil War.

What other nations or peoples fought to end slavery? No, I dont believe it was a just or necessary war. I think much more damage was done as a result of the Civil War in terms of the lives lost and destroyed, and the psychological scars that endured until the end of Jim Crow, than would have occured had nature been allowed to take its course.

As always, history conveniently tells us the loser of the war started it (the South), and the winner ended it (the North?) I’ve seen this pattern repeated over and over. I ask you, but moreso others, to forgive me for questioning the legitamacy of a war that resulted in 620k men dead and the South destroyed, in order to free slaves who would have little ability to make use of their skills in a free society. The institution of slavery was already obsolete because capitalism requires consumers (slaves were not able to particpate in the free market) and technology was making it unnecessary to need as many people to do the work as before.

Am I Monday Morning QBing? Yes. That said, I cannot support government tyranny and in my view, the Civil War, as well as the forced end to Jim Crow, were both examples of government tyranny. It is laughable when good American “patriots,” who value their first and second amendments, support government tyranny. It invovles cherrypicking when they think government tyranny is acceptable. What’s to prevent the government from using tyranny against those “good American patriots”?

While you have a point about the post-WWII golden age of peace and prosperity, there are many factors which call it into doubt, and I question how much longer it will last, if it hasnt already ended. While America is out there kicking ass, overthrowing ruthless dictators, we cannot manage our own affairs and look like a laughingstock.

Wages have been stagnating for decades. Public education is a bad joke, and I think it’s meant to be that way. The powers that be dont want people who can think critically. They want people “smart enough to run the machines, too stupid to question anything” (Carlin).

America has been flooded with so many immigrants from Latin America (and elsewhere) that many places in the US are no longer recognizeable as “America.”

Universities have been indoctrination camps for feminism and cultural marxism for decades. The birth rates are stagnating because women want to be like men and have careers. I am really baffled why anyone would want to raise children in the filth that is modern American society.

The US cannot manage its bloated budget, crumbling infrastructure, and the impending collapse of its welfare state. In fact, one of the few hopes I see on the horizon is the collapse of Social Security, and hopefully the rest of the welfare state. Of course, even those most commited to free market principles won’t touch the third rail that is Social Security.

For the people who support welfare, Social Security, multiculturalism, cultural marxism, fempowerment, our bad joke of a public school system, etc. you may think we are progressing. I do not.

Also, Bismark, you obviously had no obligation to reply to me. While I disagree with you politically, I am thankful for your response. You no doubt have a wealth of political and historical knowledge that far exceeds my own. I disagree with your perspective which, to me, mostly validates the official narrative. I think the official narratives should be questioned.

Batshit nuts, dude.

Ending the enslavement of people is now tyranny, fucking wow…

International slave trade was destroyed by the British Empire - the decades long anti slavery campaign launched by abolitionist groups in Great Britain is considered the first successful PR campaign in history.

The abolition of slavery in the British Empire cost the UK 5% of GDP and 40% of yearly treasury income, and that doesn’t include massive expenses when they were playing the world policemen against slavers.

The British Navy constantly and aggressively patrolled the first West African then East African coast for decades, attacking/boarding slaving ships and freeing slaves.

Congolese diamond miners, illegal immigrants picking produce in the US and Bangladeshi sweatshop workers disagree with this statement. There’s still a lot of need for dirt cheap unskilled labor with severe restrictions to freedom of movement.

You mean the ol’ Mexican province of Tejas? They invited gringo immigrants 150 years ago and lo-an-behold it didn’t work out for them.