George Carlin on Religion

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Actually, he said in another one of his monologues that he really liked the Catholic school he attended and he formed his idea about religion despite this good experience.
[/quote]

That does not mean it did not influence his view on organized religion. The man obviously has contempt for the church – and rightly so.

As much shit as I give organized religion it still pales in comparison to the hate I have for organized aggression.

The state can put me in chains but the church cannot make me believe.[/quote]

The Church has never claimed to be able to make people believe.[/quote]

No that’s why they needed the state – and vice verse

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:

LOL. Thou art a paragon of humility. [/quote]

To paraphrase an old quote, he’s a modest man with much to be modest about.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
You are obviously deeply informed in theology & comparative religion.
[/quote]

Quite the contrary. I am actually educated in reality.[/quote]

Ayn Rand would be disappointed in you.[/quote]

That means I’m doing it right.[/quote]

No, you’re not using logic brother. Even Ayn Rand said that she herself could not believe in God, because she could not come to the conclusion logically that God existed.

However, she asked if you were to believe in God, you come to it logically. Even she never berated believers and she was a big time Atheist. She would respect your beliefs if you came to it logically.

Actually, he said in another one of his monologues that he really liked the Catholic school he attended and he formed his idea about religion despite this good experience.
[/quote]

That does not mean it did not influence his view on organized religion. The man obviously has contempt for the church – and rightly so.

As much shit as I give organized religion it still pales in comparison to the hate I have for organized aggression.

The state can put me in chains but the church cannot make me believe.[/quote]

The Church has never claimed to be able to make people believe.[/quote]

No that’s why they needed the state – and vice verse[/quote]

Lol. Um, no. No one except the Holy Ghost can make someone believe. Theological truth. Learn it.

All religions are nothing more than superstitious bullshit.[/quote]

And you know this how?

^Not even logical.

God only comes to you though 1 of 3 ways.

1. imagination

2. literature

3. clergy

There is no way a god can be reasoned.

I don’t give a shit about Ayn Rand.

All religion is superstition.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
…when you’re not worshipping Ron Paul you’re looking up to George Carlin. [/quote]

Maybe he just thought it was funny?
[/quote]

Yeah, like he thinks that Ron Paul is just another politician.

Fantastic - yet another thread proving libertarianism is nothing but a crackpot political philosophy that will never even sniff the mainstream and will remain the exclusive refuge of teenagers mad at their parents and adults who never grew out of being a teenager made at their parents.

But I do know this: organized religion is a bunch of bullshit. [/quote]

Not at all. No more than being a member of a gym is wrong. Or, being a member of a gun club if you like to shoot. It’s a place where those who do believe in God can congregate and worship together. Furthermore, the many Christian churches in the US have fed, clothed and helped in many other ways millions of people.

It’s okay if you don’t want to believe, but don’t fall into the trap of becoming one of those hate filled atheists. Stay open to the possibility that God is real and that the church is part of his plan.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Fantastic - yet another thread proving libertarianism is nothing but a crackpot political philosophy that will never even sniff the mainstream and will remain the exclusive refuge of teenagers mad at their parents and adults who never grew out of being a teenager made at their parents.[/quote]

–Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

LOL

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Not at all. No more than being a member of a gym is wrong. Or, being a member of a gun club if you like to shoot. It’s a place where those who do believe in God can congregate and worship together. Furthermore, the many Christian churches in the US have fed, clothed and helped in many other ways millions of people.

It’s okay if you don’t want to believe, but don’t fall into the trap of becoming one of those hate filled atheists. Stay open to the possibility that God is real and that the church is part of his plan.

[/quote]

Zeb, I am and always will be open to the possibility that God exists. But I just think organized religions have become too much like bureaucracies.

Fantastic - yet another thread proving libertarianism is nothing but a crackpot political philosophy that will never even sniff the mainstream and will remain the exclusive refuge of teenagers mad at their parents and adults who never grew out of being a teenager made at their parents.[/quote]

Wtf? When did this thread become about libertarianism? Do you really have to mention your near psychotic obsession with libertarianism every time you post?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

–Yep, that pretty much sums it up.[/quote]

We, as a species, do not so much progress by convincing our elders of new ideas, but by burying the old ideas with them, one by one.

So, you and TB can make fun of those “adolescents” but what good does it do you?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

–Yep, that pretty much sums it up.[/quote]

We, as a species, do not so much progress by convincing our elders of new ideas, but by burying the old ideas with them, one by one.

So, you and TB can make fun of those “adolescents” but what good does it do you?

[/quote]

What they do not realize is the people my age who are “conservative” think alot like I do. They are swimming upstream, they are fighting something that will come to pass they may delay it but they will not stop it.

Perhaps you could find a sense of humor? I mean listen to it, its funny as hell.

Its funny I never get these statements when I attack liberals but when I attack conservatives you all line up like I have never once been on your side.

[quote]John S. wrote:
…you all line up like I have never once been on your side.[/quote]

Who says you are? I personally don’t consider libertarians allies, at all.

[quote]John S. wrote:

Its funny I never get these statements when I attack liberals but when I attack conservatives you all line up like I have never once been on your side.[/quote]

Heh. You aren’t on my side, junior.

[quote]Dabba wrote:

Wtf? When did this thread become about libertarianism? Do you really have to mention your near psychotic obsession with libertarianism every time you post?[/quote]

The answer is yes, particularly when John S. - who is on his new theme in just about every thread about those damnable “Christian conservatives!!!” - wants to tee up yet another anti-religion thread to make a point.

And, every opportunity I get to bash libertarianism, I shall likely take it. Nothing is hurting the limited government movement in the US like this idiotic left-wing ideology masking as a strain or cousin of “conservatism” and “classical liberalism”, with the fury of a chained panther, I’ll denounce it accordingly.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

Zeb, I am and always will be open to the possibility that God exists. But I just think organized religions have become too much like bureaucracies.[/quote]

And all bureaucracies are bad? Also, how do you run a worldwide religion without a bureaucracy? For that matter as soon as you have even a handful of organized Churches you have a bureaucracy. To have any organization of any type, for any reason there is usually bureaucracy. That perfect utopia that we’d all love to see is only portrayed in Hollywood movies.