Geographic Info

Thanks Cake –

I’ll have to keep all those alliterations in mind. However, since all are aware that attorneys sell their souls to Beelzebub in order to pass the bar exam, I may just go with:

Denver Devil’s Advocate

Or, keeping with my British Commonwealth theme:

Seattle Solicitor

Now, please note that “solicitor” in this context has nothing to do with the type of solicitation that guy Jay was posting about earlier, the kind in which people indulge themselves in various red-light districts around the country.

I like your suggestion for Austin – I’ll keep that in mind if I go there or to Atlanta. The Denver idea would work equally well in Dallas, especially in the summer heat.

I’ll just have to take care not to relocate to somewhere like Rancho Cucomunga (sp?) – that would prove more challenging to match, and I obviously can’t move anywhere that wouldn’t lend itself to alliteration.

Well, I live in Austin. The nightlife here is the best. :slight_smile:

Austin is a great city too! Seems like a great place to go to college and a great place to listen to live, local music.

Karma - don’t forget Seattle is home to two of the most infamous pathological killers. Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway.

I’m not trying to make light of a serious situation, as it looks like the Green River investigation is coming to a head. My heart and thoughts go out to those victims, their family members and friends, as their lives were needlessly terminated by a very distrurbed individual. Peace be with them.

Austin is tough to beat. The cost of living is high for Texas, but you can buy a nice house in Round Rock for $160K.

Aloha:
May I submit Honolulu? I grew up in rural King County outside Seattle, and have fond associations for that great place.

However to counter balance Karma’s vote for four seasons, consider this town where you can hit the trails for cadio 365 days a year. Five years running and never had to call it off for bad weather.

The ocean here is an aqua marine which defies adequate description but never fails to enthrall. It’s temperature ranges from brisk to tepid, always inviting.

The gentle spirit of Aloha while battered is genuine, and amazing to watch in action.

Rock fever can be an issue, as a three hour drive will circumnavigate the island and bring you home.

Seattle Dwellers:

Is Seattle really that cloudy all the time? It looked to me as if its sunny-day total worked out to be just over 1 out of 3 days per year, which, while not great, isn’t horrible either. Of course, I guess if all the sunny days came together, that would also entail a lot of cloudy days in a row – it would depend on the distribution of sunny days throughout the year.

Seriously, how bad is it up there?

Seattle is awesome. I went to UW.

Why would you want to live in Denver…it snows there remember?

I was born in the Seattle area. I’ve lived in Pennsylvania, California, Florida, Hawaii, and Idaho. I live here in the Seattle area now. I used to recommend that everyone live somewhere else because it was getting too crowded here. Now I’ve decided to move on in a few years, not because of the weather or the heavy snow or the lack of game and the overcrowded hunting seasons so much, it’s because of all the people everywhere. So come on over, move in, bring your friends. The rain isn’t that bad, the beer is good, the traffic gets better with every Boeing “business decision” (pronounced fuck up that costs jobs).

I’ll be some place with a distinct lack of economic opportunity and more elbow room.

WOOF!

Seattle definitely has its fair share of cloudy days. We also get that ‘drizzle’ that requires you manually engage your windshield wipers every now and again (intermittent setting is too much). You could get a car with a windshield rain sensor and resolve that issue.

On the upside, the cloudy days sure help us enjoy those sunny days.

Upside of the cloudy/sunny ratio – when the sun comes out, the skin does as well.

Can anyone who has lived in both areas give me a rough idea of whether you felt you came out ahead economically in one area or another? Was housing cost the major difference?

Thanks.

Upside of the cloudy/sunny ratio – when the sun comes out, the skin does as well.

The down side is that the skin that does come out has more of a tendancy to be pasty white and covering ample fat stores.

The sun is out now. I’ve seen it rain for the proverbial 40 days and 40 nights but that was the wettest Nov/Dec on record. I’ve seen 6 weeks without a cloud in the sky. Comfortably waterskiing sans wetsuit on Halloween. Last week I about froze my ass off sleeping in a my sleeping bag in 8 degree weather, but I was in a ski area parking lot.

My daughter is in college in CO and I’ve been there a few times. I could live in either place although both do have more people than I like.

The people in WA used to be friendly when I was a kid and teen. The average person would treat you like family as soon as they met you then. Being invited in for coffee and home made blackberry pie made from berries that grew in the woods out back was commonplace. Just about everyone fished, dug clams, picked oysters, and had favorite recipes for them and loved to share the bounty. The influx of people in the 70’s and later changed that in most places. People today are self involved and not likely to even wave unless you are in a more rural location.

One upside to our area for a barrister, we have more serial killers than anywhere on the planet so if you are a serious criminal trial guy you could get famous and rich here.

Thanks SteelyEyes –

As for my profession, I’m more of an economic deals type of guy. And I know everyone deserves a fair trial and all, but even if I were a trial lawyer, I’d stay as far away as possible from defending serial killers… especially serial killers who had confessed.

What are some good resources on the net to find a good place to live?