Genetics In Competitive Bodybuilding?

I’m getting ready to start prep for my first bodybuilding show and I’ll be competing in classic physique. I’m 18 and wondering how successful I could be due to the genetic component of bodybuilding. My chest is asymmetrical would this be a draw back? Obviously the long term goal is to get a pro card but would this even be possible with all of the other factors being in my favor besides this one?

Here’s a picture that shows it

Describe how you see your chest is asymmetrical?

1 Like

The insertions are not the same, one side is not as straight as the other on the inner pec, the picture shows it pretty well

I believe I see that the lower inner left pec is curved, where the lower inner right pec looks more squared off. No doubt that isn’t ideal.

It is fairly well accepted that more muscle improves symmetry. My guess is that you have more symmetry concerns than your lower pecs in order to get a pro card.

You are most definitely young with a very good physique. You will probably add a significant amount of muscle is the next few years.

Thank you, with that being said do you think this would be a huge draw back in competing?

Very insignificant. Depending on your conditioning (definition), you should do very well. [Though I have no idea what your lower body looks like, or your back. But that wasn’t the intent of your thread.]

This guy did OK in bodybuilding with slight asymmetry.

3 Likes

Just joking obviously, one of the best of all time! Never noticed that though

Who is that? Curious to see how far he got… thanks

1 Like

And that’s really the point. It doesn’t matter at all. Perfect symmetry rarely, if ever, exists. You just never notice the asymmetry in your favorite bodybuilders, because they’re so fantastically developed that it becomes an afterthought that is only noticed through significant scrutiny. And as RT said, the bigger you get, the less noticeable these things are.

The genetic factor that really matters the most is simply your ability to add muscle to your frame over a period of time, and maintain that muscle while leaning out. Obviously the higher you get in the sport, the more other things come into play, but that’s the basic genetic predisposition you need to succeed. You’re really just not big enough yet to know how other things are going to shape up for you. I remember back years ago on this site, there was an 18 year old dude named Aaron Clark who was criticized for having shoulders that were too narrow, and that he was genetically fucked, essentially, from a bodybuilding standpoint. Well, years later Clark made it as an IFBB pro. I can’t remember if he competed in the Olympia, but definitely the Arnold.

Bottom line: fuck around and find out. That’s the only way you’ll actually know where your genetics can take you. You have to put the work in first.

EDIT: I should add, you look fantastic for your age. Keep pushing!

2 Likes

This will be hard to tell until you get on large amounts of gear.

The biggest genetic factor outside of muscle shape, insertions, frame, etc. is how well your body responds to high doses of gear and how well it can tolerate high doses of gear health wise long term.

1 Like

Not for Mr. NUMERO UNO. Just a little bit. LoL.