Genetics, Height, Gaining Etc.

First time to this board, and I’ve read through a bunch of the stickied noob guides and stuff. Been reading a bunch of the other posts and I keep hearing genetics being brought up. I have a bunch of questions regarding what you guys think I can accomplish with hardwork and dedication, but it might help if I give you guys some background info.

I’ve been a swimmer and waterpolo player my whole life. You can probably see how tall I am, but I am 6’9’'. In my earlier pics, I was doing swimming and was really lean, but even at that weight I weighed about 210 pounds. In the “now” pictures I weight about 225 pounds.

I have never really been able to gain weight, and have never watched what I ate or put into my body, but now that I am getting older (i.e. 23) I want to get in the best shape of my life. 1/2 the year I am in Cabo 1/2 the year in San Diego. In Cabo I dive almost everyday and that keeps me fit, but now that I am here I am just a student and need to find a way to keep fit.

Now on to the Qs:

With my Genetics do you think I can ever get “big” ?
Will I always remain the same “shape” so to say ?
In regards to food, and whey protein, I will have to eat a shitload… at the moment I eat 3 meals a day, but that is what I have the appetite for, does eating become more of a chore for you guys?

Protein intake, with my weight at 225, should I be ingesting at least 450g of protein? I have just started to look at some of the foods I eat and this is a freakin’ ton of protein!!! Is protein shakes the only way?

What is the best website to buy a good tasting whey, and flaxseed?

What are some good books that are both motivational and informative?

I am the worlds shittiest cook, easy recipes anywhere?

Thanks

I couldn’t find a way to add multiple pics, so I guess I have to reply with the other 3. If there is another way to do this, then sorry :frowning:

Next round . .

Last one

Is that the same guy in those last 2 pics?

Answer to your questions:
Yes, you can get bigger.
Yes, you need to eat more than 3x per day.
No, you dont need 450gr protein, try 300.
You can buy good protein from this site.
You dont have to be a good cook to gain weight. Eggs, pasta, oatmeal, chicken, fruits, milk, take-away…

[quote]rolandal wrote:

I have never really been able to gain weight, and have never watched what I ate or put into my body,[/quote]

Don’t these two statements contradict each other?

[quote]
but now that I am getting older (i.e. 23) I want to get in the best shape of my life. 1/2 the year I am in Cabo 1/2 the year in San Diego. In Cabo I dive almost everyday and that keeps me fit, but now that I am here I am just a student and need to find a way to keep fit.[/quote]

This is a bodybuilding website. I assume you are in a gym regularly at this point? If not, why not?

[quote]
Now on to the Qs:

With my Genetics do you think I can ever get “big” ?
Will I always remain the same “shape” so to say ?[/quote]

How could anyone know what you have the potential of becoming until you actually get there? While many people do make comments about this or that person having good genetics, it is usually based on how that person’s body has either responded to training initially or how developed it is before real training has even started (usually based on bone structure and initial muscle development).

Obviously, if some kid has ONLY played basketball in the back of the school building as his only form of exercise yet has more muscle than most grown men, most would say he has good genetics for bodybuilding.

However, genetics also relate to how you grow from any training that you do. Some skinny kid with no muscle mass who starts a training program and literally blows up in a few months’ time and in a couple of years looks like a bodybuilder or a pro football player, people would say he has good genetics for bodybuilding as well.

No one can look at your UNtrained body and guess what it will look like if you ever decide to get serious in the weight room. If the way you look now were the result after YEARS of training, THEN we could make some statements about either your poor training or weaker genetics.

[quote]
In regards to food, and whey protein, I will have to eat a shitload… at the moment I eat 3 meals a day, but that is what I have the appetite for, does eating become more of a chore for you guys?[/quote]

Eating is a job like getting in the weight room. It all goes together. you do what you have to do to see results. You are 6 foot 9 and only weigh around 220lbs. That is pretty SMALL for your height. Someone that tall probably wouldn’t even begin to fill out and look “built” until they hit 260-270lbs or more. I am very surprised someone your size isn’t already eating more.

[quote]
Protein intake, with my weight at 225, should I be ingesting at least 450g of protein? I have just started to look at some of the foods I eat and this is a freakin’ ton of protein!!! Is protein shakes the only way?[/quote]

At your weight and height, while protein intake is very important, your food choices should be based MORE on overall daily caloric intake, not just how much protein you eat. Carbohydrate are protein sparing. That means your body will use LESS protein as energy if you are eating enough carbs and overall calories.

450gr is close to the amount I take in when dieting and I outweigh you currently by close to 40lbs. If you are eating enough, I see no reason why you would need more than ONE gram per pound of body weight…which is an amount that should be very easy for you to get in without much supplementation at all.

For the last week I have been at the gym irregularly, and need to get a system / routine down. I think most importantly, I need to get the food part down because without that I can work out as much as I want and not “grow”.

Yes that is me in all the pics, do I really look that much different? One was during swimming season (shaved = faster) and now I don’t swim competetively.

What would you guys suggest is a good motivational/starter book to get things going off in the right direction? Here there are so many different workouts / sets type things but its like you guys trying to read my post if I wrote it all in Dutch.

I am also trying to make a budget, but don’t have a clue around how much I’ll be spending a week on supplements / normal food. For my height/weight, is estimating $100/week good?

For nutrition, look up John Berardi’s Massive Eating.

For a first program, use Waterbury’s TBT- it’s incredibly simple.

Use the search button and start learning.

If you’re not going to the gym regularly, you’ll never make progress.

You can’t change your genetics so why even ask how far you can get? Why don’t you start eating a ton and lifting? Good luck.

I was just wondering about the genetics things because I wanted to know if I could “change” my body type so to speak. Is there an online “all-in-one” site where I can keep a journal and that calculates my caloric intake and outake? Would it be a good idea to just start a random blog to keep posting it all or what ?

[quote]rolandal wrote:
I was just wondering about the genetics things because I wanted to know if I could “change” my body type so to speak. Is there an online “all-in-one” site where I can keep a journal and that calculates my caloric intake and outake? Would it be a good idea to just start a random blog to keep posting it all or what ?[/quote]

You haven’t even started training on a regular basis yet and you have complicated this much more than necessary. get in the gym and start lifting on a regular schedule. No one cares about a blog. Buy a freaking 69 cent spiral notebook and a pencil and have at it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Buy a freaking 69 cent spiral notebook and a pencil and have at it.[/quote]

For real man, just pick up a pack of those cheap steno pads to write your workout on and just copy it down more neatly to another notebook or to your computer when you get home. If you’re anything like me you can’t go three weeks without stepping on or dropping a weight on it anyway.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You haven’t even started training on a regular basis yet and you have complicated this much more than necessary. get in the gym and start lifting on a regular schedule. No one cares about a blog. Buy a freaking 69 cent spiral notebook and a pencil and have at it.[/quote]

You can even get 'em for seven cents at walmart.