Genetics Got Me, Guys. I Just Can't Do It

How old are you btw?

I just turned 18. This isnt progress for a year though. Its progress from September 4 to now. I stopped BB benching completely. Instead I started DB Benching and progressed better there. I literally didn’t progress with barbell bench. Form was good because I had people look at it. Everytime I would increase 10lbs on BB Bench, I would have to deload again, and its a vicious cycle. In fact, I’m back to BB bench I did on Sept 4 (110lbsx5). Its not even funny. I’m just doing PPL (modified) 7 times a week.

Still though, depressed as fuck sometimes and people start hating too so thats even more depressing. The key driver for muscle growth is volume and I’m doing enough volume, enough frequency, but the size just aint there. Here is what my training is like right now:

Chest/Tri – 3x5-8 (heavy DB Bench, 50lbs). 3x9 (moderate DB bench, 45lbs), 3x11-12 (light DB bench, 40lbs). 3x8-12 skull crushers, 3x10 DB tricep press (40lbs), 3x10 tricep bar pushdown.

Back/bi/Shoulder – 5x5 BB Row/3x10 BB row (alternating), 3x8-12 lat pulldown wide, overhand, 3x8-12 lat pulldown, underhand close grip, 3x10 incline curl, 3x12 hammer curl, 3x10 BB curl/standing DB curl, 2x5 deadlift sometimes. (Usually after rows) – 3x5-8 heavy DB shoulder press (35lbs each hand). 2x10 moderate DB shoulder press (30lbs each hand). 5x12 lateral raises.

Legs – 4x10/5x5 squat (alternating), 3x12 leg curl, 3x12 hamstring curl

I’m doing everything I can, I’ve been going 7times/week, everyday for the past 4 weeks. I dont feel tired on anything so thats a sign Im not overtraining.

This is why I came to my last conclusion as genetics. I’m literally doing everything I can. Changing rep ranges, going heavier, high volume, increasing frequency, but my body just isn’t responding to it. That’s literally the only reason why I blamed genetics. I dont see anything else I am doing wrong. Nutrition is on point, high calories, 4k, 200g protein, everything is there guys. I even tried supplementing with creatine. I get a pump I feel good at the gym, go home, get depressed again.

I really don’t know what I am doing wrong. Some may say its my program, but what is wrong with the program? I keep trying to progressive overload, increasing reps each workout, but I just dont fucking get it.

So what could be the reason besides genetics then?

Edit: Added some photos. The photo in my first ever post on my training log: Training log is in the beginning of August (not the fat one but just the ones with the black background and hanging doll).

Now: Shit progress

Thanks for helping man, you’re pretty much the only one who is taking it seriously. I appreciate it.

thanks for your feedback. Thanks for taking everything I said as a joke. I was really serious but everyone here just made a joke of me. Thanks again

Thanks to both of you for helping someone out who is serious about weight training. I really appreciate the support.

You are doing zero conditioning work and only training legs once a week as of the last time we spoke.

Since what you are doing isn’t working, why not do something that is proven to work, like Building the Monolith or 5/3/1 for beginners?

1 Like

I’m unable to do a lot of these programs. Just look at the monolith. My 5RM for press is 75. I cant do any chinups or dips yet.

So if I cant even do the fundamental exercises how am I supposed to follow the program?

If Im not even strong enough do the press then how can I literally even follow the program?

Follow 5/3/1 for beginners to get strong enough to do Building the Monolith. Seems logical enough.

1 Like

Is it okay to switch chins for lat pulldowns? Chins are very body weight relative. Right now Im 80kg mostly fat, so I dont see chins coming until at least a year or 2. Monolith seems fun because I like volume. Wondering if there is a way to modify it. Is there a progression scheme?

Do fat man chins, per Jim’s recommendations.

2 Likes

If its only from september, then its not bad at all.

I would join the others however who suggest you do another more basic program. I would also suggest you dont train strenght seven days a week, that is just overkill. If I where you I would do a simple fullbody workout 3 days a week, with emphasis on the basic lifts, for example:

Workout A:
A Knee-dominant movement (A Squat or Lunge variation)
A Horisontal Push (A Bench or Push up variation)
A Horisontal Pull (A Rowing variation)

• 1 or 2 fluff excercises if you have the energy (Curls, Face pulls, sit ups, triceps extensions etc)

Workout B:
A Hip-dominant movement (A Deadlift variation).
A Vertical Push (A OH Press variation).
A Vertical Pull (Chin ups/Pull ups or Lat Pull Downs).

• 1 or 2 fluff excercises if you have the energy (See list above).

Choose one lift from each category and use a simple progression scheme that suits the selected lifts and dont change for a long time (Read: 6 months ). For example:

Workout A:
Squat: 5’Pro
BB Bench: 5’Pro
DB Row: 3x10

• Fluff.

Workout B:
Romanian Deadlift: 5’Pro
Military Press: 5’Pro
Lat Pull Down: 3x10

• Fluff.

Two cycles With 5’Pro will then look like this:

Week 1: ABA
Week 2: BAB
Week 3: ABA
Week 4: BAB
Week 5: Deload.

This simple program hits every muscle frequently and it is balanced.

I assume you know what 5’Pro are, if you dont, you can do a linear progression with 5 sets x 5 reps on the big four (Bench, Squat, OHP, RDL). On the Row and Pull Downs, focus on contracting the back muscles (Look up videos on youtube ).

Just an idea.

EDITED.

1 Like

I think you should reread my post above and also reconsider your belief on volume training. I’ve been training for a LONG time and I can tell you I would not get results from doing what you are doing. All you need to do is build up to one quality set on a few core movements and that will be enough.

What Florelius laid out for you is good and will get you much better results. I will reiterate to just build up each movement to one quality set. I might not feel like you are doing enough at first but you are, trust it. All that volume is just extra work with no stimulus. It’s waisting your physical resources.

How can you be serious if you have no results? Take genetics out of the equation for a moment and ask yourself that.

I’ll give you a hint. In this sport, raw intensity and aggression beats any program at your level. The fact that you were “literally close to tears” and blaming genetics tells me a lot about why you are not succeeding. Add in the stubbornness and the refusal to listen to people who have literally almost destroyed their bodies in the pursuit of accomplishing ridiculous feats of strength that normal humans cannot even begin to comprehend and you have your answer. You are not talking to fellow noobs on bb.com even though you are posing in the beginner’s section.

Look, a lot of us have been doing this shit for a long time. Some of us have started overweight, underweight, unable to even squat the bar for reps and so on. If your’s is really an issue of genetics, one of us would have said so.

This is an issue with your mindset. I doubt you can be helped without changing it. Don’t be a fucking pussy.

5 Likes

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
If it’s obviously broken, you should probably fix it.

Like mentioned above, effort will determine progress. No programming, exercise selection, or diet will do anything without some cliché blood, sweat, and tears.

2 Likes

You need to pick pre-made programs until you get to know yourself better, then you can craft your program based on your experience on what works and what doesn’t for you. Your routine is going to become more static with time.

Looking back in term of information I think the perfect rep article by Christian Thibaudeau was the thing the helped me the most in my training.

1 Like

I started a program recommended, its called “Building the Monolith.” I am just a bit confused about the routine.

For the bench, I just did 5x5 bench, but then I read something about 70x5, 80x5…?

I’m not sure what this was?

kg not pounds 70kg for 5 reps and so on

:clap:

Very true @dt79 its been my experience why most people dont see the results they want is not because they DO NOT have the perfect program or the perfect diet. Its because they are not putting their all into what they are doing when it counts. Instead of sacking up and trudging through they will start making excuses or looking for a easier way .

3 Likes

70kg? That will take a long time for me. Do I just adjust it to the weights I can do? Or keep moving with 5x5?

Yes you adjust to what you are capable of. You will get there it just takes time. Perhaps should pay for some lessons with a good trainer. Once you learn the lift you will progress quickly.
You could also just build up to doing pushups with bw planks. That you will teach to stay tight .Once you could do pushups you will be a lot stronger. You will get much stronger even if it takes some time. I paid a trainer to teach me a basic deadlift. You can start weak and get strong. Or you could be foolish like me and start moderately strong 2w deadlift to begin with and not progress and get fatter by just mxing out all the time . Try learning some bw squats to get some mobility and maybe walking and running , perhaps up a hill. You will get more active and all round fitter.

If your fitness permits also keep doing the 5x5. I found 5x5 too much and used 5 x3 fairly often.

Why did you start a program you didn’t understand? You already failed it.

Those numbers are percentages of a training max. 70%, 80%, etc.

@decimation I do not know why you told him that. It’s not true, and honestly isn’t helpful to him.

3 Likes