Geneticist: Cloning Neanderthal Possible

[quote]Karado wrote:
“You are obviously 100% neanderthal if you base your reasoning for this argument on a fairy tale about a two people who appeared out of thin air naked, in a garden, fucking to create the human race.”

Is that any more of a fairy tale than you evolved from a Monkey or that our ancestors
were space aliens that seeded the planet?
What philosophy do you subscribe to? [/quote]

Because everything else was peer reviewed and scientifically supported. Choose to not believe in gravity since it’s science and let me know how that works out for you

If early man got down with Neanderthal woman I am sure a modern homosapien would get freaky with her in no time. If you doubt homosapiens and Neanderthals bred I can show you a picture of a buddy of mine that looks exactly like a Neanderthal.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
We need technology that will be able to desalinate sea water and dirty water in a cost-effective and efficient way.[/quote]

Define we. If you live in a desert and piss away your water resources by trying to have green grass for a lawn, yes, you might need water. If you live in a temperate zone, might not be your problem.[/quote]

Reminds me of this clip…

[quote]orion wrote:
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would think that the world needz mooooaar slightly retarded people with heavy brow ridges.
[/quote]

Agreed. We already have John C. Reilly - I thought that was enough.

“If they had an extremely adventurous human surrogate mother”…

The mother wouldn’t have to be that adventurous.

The REALLY adventurous one would be the girl willing to procreate with the Neanderthal offspring of the first experiment. I mean, his “foreplay” would probably consist of random monosyllabic words strung together like “DICK FUCK BLOOD MEAT DEATH THRUST!” and bludgeoning her with a wooden club.

1. Adam and eve were not necessarily the only humans. Most Jewish scholars posit they were the only humans possed of a soul. Indeed, their childrens’ marriages with others is expressly addressed in the Torah.

2. The existence of a single common female (and male) ancestor is a genetic fact and not inconsistent with #1.

1. The universe very well may have been created “old.” Indeed, it appears it was. Adam was bodily 34 at the date of his creation. A doctor who looked at him at day 6 would have said, “he’s 34” based on observable world. A Rabbi looking at him would say “he’s 1 day old.” Both would be correct.

2. What is scientific certainty changes all the time. Einstein proved Newton wrong who proved Galelio wrong. (Or rather, they built on each other’s theories.) Undoubtedly, great strides will occur with our understandings of both evolution and time.

3. The oft-commented statement that religious folks believe the world is 5700ish years old is not correct, or at least, known to be a wild-ass guess in knowledgeable religious circles. It’s based on the Hebrew calendar which is known to be inaccurate and incomplete prior to the Babylonian captivity. It could be 5700. It could be 57,000,000,000. Better to state, the world is physically “no younger than 5700 years old, but of any age.”

4. As a practical matter, none of this matters. No one makes any money or products based on the theory of evolution. It’s an educated guess. Perhaps a good one. Perhaps a stupid one. But hardly as important as theories that effect the here-and-now, so people spend far to much time thinking about it.

Rambam tells us to “Love your neighbor as yourself; the rest is commentary.”

When we have this figured out, let’s tackle evolution.

We should create a Neanderthal slave workforce.

They would be perfect as they are kind of dumb and built for hard labor.

Since they are not true humans, there would be no ethical issues with their enslavement; it would be like owning a pet dog or turtle.

[quote]VD90 wrote:
If early man got down with Neanderthal woman I am sure a modern homosapien would get freaky with her in no time. If you doubt homosapiens and Neanderthals bred I can show you a picture of a buddy of mine that looks exactly like a Neanderthal. [/quote]
men will fuck just about anything

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[/quote]

You assume they were not as smart as homo sapien sapiens simply because they were physcially stronger than HSS.

This is probably incorrect.

Going by what they left behind, their culture and tools were more advanced in some ways to comparable HSS. Their brains were certainly larger.

No one knows why they died out — the most likely theory is that they lacked specialization. Specifically, their females were almost as large as the males and, from the injuries to their bones, actively participated in hunting.

HSS women, in contrast, stayed back in the cave, made lots of babies, and probably sammiches.

The result is we simply outbred and outnumbered them.

Seriously. Stop calling evolution a theory, it’s not a theory, it’s scientific fact. Evolution happens. We are built on a genetic code that started long before our ancestors would have been called homo sapiens. Fact.

My mum is a vicar. Her faith is not in question one bit, she believes evolution is the device God used to create human beings. So she believes the human race was always going to appear, and just because god used evolution doesn’t mean we popped out by chance. Anyone who doesn’t believe we evolved through evolution simply doesn’t know the facts about evolution or blindly choose to ignore them.

The only other explanation is god has tricked us into thinking we all evolved and he set everything up so every single piece of evidence supports that theory. Either way to a scientist I don’t think it matters

I heard about this on the radio and found it very impressive. I’ll call evolution fact.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[/quote]

You assume they were not as smart as homo sapien sapiens simply because they were physcially stronger than HSS.

Going by what they left behind, their culture and tools were more advanced in some ways to comparable HSS. Their brains were certainly larger.

No one knows why they died out — the most likely theory is that they lacked specialization. Specifically, their females were almost as large as the males and, from the injuries to their bones, actively participated in hunting.

HSS women, in contrast, stayed back in the cave, made lots of babies, and probably sammiches.

The result is we simply outbred and outnumbered them. [/quote]

Rise of the planet of the Neanderthals.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[/quote]

I suppose if you are correct that Neanderthals are at least as intelligent as us, that there would be feelings of distaste in some portions of the population for creating a slave Neanderthal workforce.

It would perhaps be better to create a hybrid Neanderthal-chimpanzee slave population, to lower their intelligence while maintaining their physical hardiness.

I can just see myself in the future, standing in front of my slave army; my soldiers marked with the white hand, and calling out to them “whom do you serve?”

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[/quote]

Then Neanderthal women would fit right into out HSS feminist movement.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
Seriously. Stop calling evolution a theory, it’s not a theory, it’s scientific fact.[/quote]

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but yeah, it’s a “theory” as the term is used in science and always will be; or I guess until two or more peer reviewed groups independently reproduce human evolution from primordial soup.

Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, though.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[/quote]

I suppose if you are correct that Neanderthals are at least as intelligent as us, that there would be feelings of distaste in some portions of the population for creating a slave Neanderthal workforce.

It would perhaps be better to create a hybrid Neanderthal-chimpanzee slave population, to lower their intelligence while maintaining their physical hardiness.

I can just see myself in the future, standing in front of my slave army; my soldiers marked with the white hand, and calling out to them “whom do you serve?”[/quote]

Perhaps. More likely, in this time of relative plenty compared to the ice age when they died off, the Neaderthals (who needed a lot more food than HSS because of their bigger brains and body mass — also a theory for their demise) would kick our ass and we’d be their bitch servants.

But, I, for one, welcome our Neaderthal overlords.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:
Seriously. Stop calling evolution a theory, it’s not a theory, it’s scientific fact.[/quote]

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but yeah, it’s a “theory” as the term is used in science and always will be; or I guess until two or more peer reviewed groups independently reproduce human evolution from primordial soup.

Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, though.[/quote]

Technically, both of you are wrong. The theory of evolution is a SCIENTIFIC THEORY. A scientific theory, according to wikipedia, is â??a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses."

Scientific theories are generally accepted almost entirely in the scientific community. They have been repeatedly tested, giving the same/similar results. More research and findings are overwhelming unlikely to drastically change a scientific theory.

Theories, on the other hand, are more speculative and have not been fully proven, or proven at all.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, though.[/quote]

The problem is how the term is used. Yes, in the broadest sense of the word, evolution is a fact. However, there isn’t a complete understanding of human evolution and there are many sub-theories about how it occurs and on what level.

You wouldn’t call gravity a theory. But you would describe exactly what causes it a theory, as it isn’t fully understood. And exactly how it effects things.

Likewise evolution isn’t a theory. Human evolution is a theory as we do not know 100% how everything fits together, as super saiyan wrote, not disagreeing with that at all. And similarly there are theories of exactly how life came about in the first place. But evolution happens, there’s no question in that.