T Nation

Genetically Modified Grains

Do you think we are getting fatter because of these? Or would it be more of a case of we are over consuming grains period?

Over-consuming. Period. GMO grains just let them spray roundup through the year, instead of having to use pesticides such as paraquat.
Americans sitting around on their ass playing WoW isn’t helping.

[quote]treco wrote:
Do you think we are getting fatter because of these? Or would it be more of a case of we are over consuming grains period?

[/quote]
They could be adding to more health issues in general.

The obesity epidemic probably has more to do with all the hidden sugar that people don’t even realize they are eating because of high fructose corn syrup in everything.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]treco wrote:

[/quote]
They could be adding to more health issues in general.

The obesity epidemic probably has more to do with all the hidden sugar that people don’t even realize they are eating because of high fructose corn syrup in everything.[/quote]

Or they realize and aren’t interesting in doing anything about it. We are getting to the point where it’s like a smoker claiming they didn’t understand the dangers…plenty of information available.

Like others have alluded to, it is a lot of things.

No one single thing is making us fat.

It’s a continuously decreasing activity level of our daily lives, processed foods, extra sugar in almost every processed foods, a lack of fruits and vegetables, the way we raise our fruits, vegetables and livestock, environmental toxins and probably much much more…

If we were to simply only do one of these things we would probably be amazing health wise still, but no we are doing like a dozen different things wrong.

If I were to pick two that I thought to be the most detrimental it would be our activity levels as a whole since most people work desk jobs or are seditary most of the day (even if you workout an hour a day this still is not optimal to health if the other 23 hours a day you are not moving) and the lack of fruits and vegetables in a persons diet which directly correlates with processed foods.

I think if we were to simply move more and eat more vegetables that more than half of health issues relating to obesity would disappear even if a lot of the foods we were eating were not organic or still GMO.

I appreciate the answers thus far.

After reading quite a few write-ups, there seems to be some conflicting summaries. Personally I think we are too dependent on processed grains and grasses - which gives carbs a black eye. A plate of red beans is a hell of lot healthier than a loaf of white bread. In fact, without starches - it is hard to take in enough calories barring eating tubs of butter or drinking 2L soft drinks daily.

However I have decided to go back to the past and raise my own vegetables this year with heirloom seeds. Hope to be able to source local protein sources too.

[quote]treco wrote:
Personally I think we are too dependent on processed grains and grasses - which gives carbs a black eye. A plate of red beans is a hell of lot healthier than a loaf of white bread.
[/quote]

You raise an interesting point. I’m not sure if they’re presently modifying the wheat genome in terms of nutritional content so I won’t comment on that, but I do recall that the majority of wheat genetic modification is related to yield. Most of our grains have a modified ploidy, for example. Want bigger yields? No problem, just multiply the genome a couple times! Random fact: bananas have 1.5 times the amount of DNA they would in the wild. There’s also a lot of genetic modification to extend the growing season.

However, maybe this has an indirect effect on obesity. We are largely dependent on processed grains as a food source, and it’s probably no coincidence that we can grow so much of it so easily and cheaply.