Genetic Freak?

Babe Ruth’s baseball training consisted of eating 10 hotdogs and getting wasted every day. I knew an old guy who told me Babe Ruth was able to bend the metal shower handles in the old-style showers with his bare hands.

I used to play baseball all the time and I could never hit a good curveball. I couldnt even see a 90 mph fastball. I could train for the rest of my life and never hit roger clemen’s heater out of the park. Let alone 60 a season.

I’ll never outdunk michael jordan. I’ll never outrun ben johnson. No matter what, ever. Even with the best training and steroids in the universe. Mike Tyson could knock me out with one flick of his wrist no matter how much i trained. Most people would not even see the punch coming, nor remember it, after they woke up (if they woke up). Mike tyson knocked out a professional middleweight when he was 13 years old in sparring.

That’s being a genetic freak. It’s something your born with.

[quote]beeph wrote:
Babe Ruth’s baseball training consisted of eating 10 hotdogs and getting wasted every day. I knew an old guy who told me Babe Ruth was able to bend the metal shower handles in the old-style showers with his bare hands.

I used to play baseball all the time and I could never hit a good curveball. I couldnt even see a 90 mph fastball. I could train for the rest of my life and never hit roger clemen’s heater out of the park. Let alone 60 a season.

I’ll never outdunk michael jordan. I’ll never outrun ben johnson. No matter what, ever. Even with the best training and steroids in the universe. Mike Tyson could knock me out with one flick of his wrist no matter how much i trained. Most people would not even see the punch coming, nor remember it, after they woke up (if they woke up). Mike tyson knocked out a professional middleweight when he was 13 years old in sparring.

That’s being a genetic freak. It’s something your born with.

[/quote]

Bingo, but the rest of us can still work hard enough to be highly above average.

[quote]fish_burps wrote:

My point is that if you’re serious about being the best then you should never put ANYONE on a pedestal you can never reach. And that’s exactly what you’re doing when you call someone a genetic freak, you’re saying that because this person’s genes are better than yours you can never hope to be at their level.

If you want to be the best then your mindset needs to be: I don’t care if you’re more gifted than me, I will find a way to beat you. [/quote]

So you’re saying you can beat Andy Bolton’s deadlift if you try hard enough? There’s a difference between holding yourself back and being realistic.

Lamar Gant’s 680@132 is an example of a genetic freak of deadlifting.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
AlexM wrote:
What exactly does it mean when people say something like “You won’t recover from that unless you’re a genetic freak.” I mean, really, what the hell does that mean? And if there really is a definitive answer, how can we make people closer to being a “freak?” Is it work capacity, recovery techniques, etc.?

How can we make people closer to being a GENETIC freak?

Are you seriously asking that question?[/quote]

Duh, selective breeding obviously!

If you watched the first season of I Love New York there was a dude on there called 8 pack. He drank alcohol every night and ate like crap the entire show and still looked like he had just walked off of a photo shoot for a fitness magazine. Read CT’s articles he’s always got crazy ass stories about people doing freaky things.

another example of a genetic freak if you will:

back in the 60’s one of America’s top 220’s/242’s (i think those were his weightclass’s) Bob Bednarski was said to have walked into York Barbell, and no warmup standing pressed 405 for a few reps. And he was tiny little guy before lifting, and ate and trained hard to go up from I believe the 132’s to the 198s and up! And he was our top lifter in 1972!

acording to elite fts matt kroc has shitty genetics.

hard work is easy

[quote]BigMike wrote:
acording to elite fts matt kroc has shitty genetics.

hard work is easy [/quote]

I’ve heard that before but I highly doubt he has bad genetic. He works about as hard as anyone I’ve ever seen before. But he HAD to have had some potential to become one of the best lifters in the world. He wouldn’t have got there without hard work, but looking at him now you couldn’t claim he didn’t have genetic potential.

obviously some have superior genetics than others, but even so, i think that few, if any, ever reach full potential. hard work can go a long way, but even hard work can be some what genetic (nature vs nurture debate). the point being that we are capable of much more than we are doing, no matter what level we are at. thinking otherwise is limiting yourself and you will never get closer to your potential.

[quote]SquatDr wrote:
the point being that we are capable of much more than we are doing, no matter what level we are at. thinking otherwise is limiting yourself and you will never get closer to your potential. [/quote]

Amen.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I read in a artice that matt kroc weighted 118 pounds in high school. Hard work obviously pays off.

Ive worked with a few genetic freaks, a scottish national team basketball player standing 6’7, had never benched before, put up 150kg (now putting up around 180kg) first try sadly his squat was about the same. I worked with a american football player who played for the british team who had one of the most effecient nervous systems ive seen. He could perform huge volumes of heavy sets with very small rest periods. pushing 15+ sets of 3RM sets within 20 minutes, sadly he keeps injuring him self on the field.

Working with teen athletes its a mixed bag ive seen physical freaks that just cant lay down the motor skills. But you find those who learn so fast and master skills much faster than their peers.