Genetic Defect?!

Or serious cycle?

They claim this WHIPPET has a genetic “defect”

First of all, nobody on here would really consider that a “defect” – but I can’t help but wonder if this is more than a fluke. It looks like a freakin’ experiment to me.

Btw – HER name is Wendy…

Looks fishy to me, photoshop?

[quote]timhlbrk wrote:
Looks fishy to me, photoshop?[/quote]

Apparently not.

A Mutation in the Myostatin Gene Increases Muscle Mass and Enhances Racing Performance in Heterozygote Dogs
Recently, owners of whippets, an established racing-dog breed, have reported a phenotype of heavy muscling occurring within the breed…

Owners report that “bully” whippets do not have any health abnormalities other than muscle cramping in the shoulder and thigh. However, the dogs are often euthanized at an early age as they do not conform to the American Kennel Club breed standard. In addition, about 50% of “bully” whippets have a distinctive overbite.
http://genetics.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pgen.0030079

I think I want one – preferably not with the Billy-Bob teeth.

Holy shit, that dog seriously looks exactly like Dexter Jackson…

The dog was part of a study on the Myostatin gene. I don’t know if the dog was part of the study, or the offspring of a dog in the study, but wendy is missing her myostatin gene. either that, or it has been inhibited to the point that it doesn’t work.

Google “Belgian Blue”. It is an entire breed of cattle that has been bred to look very similar to the whippet in the picture above.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
The dog was part of a study on the Myostatin gene. I don’t know if the dog was part of the study, or the offspring of a dog in the study, but wendy is missing her myostatin gene. either that, or it has been inhibited to the point that it doesn’t work.

Google “Belgian Blue”. It is an entire breed of cattle that has been bred to look very similar to the whippet in the picture above.
[/quote]

I actually saw some Belgian Blue at a farm show in Belgium (imagine that) a few years back – the first thing that came to mind was the Musclehedz cartoons. They actually looked more like rhino.

You could tell there was something besides synthetic hormones going on there because these cattle actually looked like they trained to compete in the Mr. Olympia. They were HUGE and shredded besides.

This kind of thing makes me laugh whenever I hear the “steroids in sports” controversy. I suppose they’re going to ban genetically modified athletes from competitions in the future?

Good quote from the study:
“Our findings have implications for competitive and professional sports. Here, we show that a disruption in the function of the MSTN gene increases an individual’s overall athletic performance in a robust and measurable way.”

http://genetics.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pgen.0030079

[quote]JustTheFacts wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I actually saw some Belgian Blue at a farm show in Belgium (imagine that) a few years back – the first thing that came to mind was the Musclehedz cartoons. They actually looked more like rhino.

You could tell there was something besides synthetic hormones going on there because these cattle actually looked like they trained to compete in the Mr. Olympia. They were HUGE and shredded besides.

This kind of thing makes me laugh whenever I hear the “steroids in sports” controversy. I suppose they’re going to ban genetically modified athletes from competitions in the future?

Good quote from the study:
“Our findings have implications for competitive and professional sports. Here, we show that a disruption in the function of the MSTN gene increases an individual’s overall athletic performance in a robust and measurable way.”

http://genetics.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pgen.0030079 [/quote]

When they finally unlock the key to the myostatin gene and figure out how to effectively block it - it will render AAS obsolete.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
When they finally unlock the key to the myostatin gene and figure out how to effectively block it - it will render AAS obsolete.
[/quote]

Possibly. Somehow I don’t see, bodybuilders at least, giving up anabolics completely. In fact just suppressing myostatin to build muscle starts to sound a little depressing in a way.

One of the best parts about a cycle is how you feel emotionally – at least higher T levels work to suppress myostatin with the added bonus of the “feel”. Unfortunately suppressing myostatin doesn’t elevate T levels as far as I know – correct me if I’m wrong.

Basically at some point I envision hordes of lazy wannabe bodybuilders who aren’t all that motivated to train because they have low to average T levels – and since they could “look good” with minimal effort, they might not be all that worried about T levels anyway.

Also the media has such a field day bashing AAS’s every chance they get that they obviously has some sort of agenda. What they seem to be saying is testosterone is just BAD, period. Add to the fact that T levels have been steadily dropping in males across the board already…

Testosterone Tumbling in American Males
https://www.hon.ch/News/HSN/535710.html

I know the research on myostatin is pretty exciting after reading about it on here for years, but you can’t help but worry that testosterone would be even MORE marginalized and demonized in the mainstream than it already is.

You could be right.

I would think that if they ever find the off switch to the myostatin gene - exogenous testosterone use would be greatly reduced to not much more than HRT dosages.