Genes for Longevity?

Are there genes which can cause you to live a long time? My adopted grandmother who died 15 years ago (August 4, 1995) was 108 when she passed. I think the cause of death was kidney failure. In her life, from what I understand, she’d never been sick until her final years. In fact, she died clinically once, when she was 102, but the doctors were able to resuscitate her and she lived another 6 years.

Now it was said, her father, who was born a slave, died at the age of 116 in 1972.

My adopted grandmother didnt drink or smoke, but she wasnt a health nut either. She ate her share of porkchops, collard greens and fried chicken and catfish and didnt workout. Was her extremely long life caused by good genes?

Health-wise, we’re all pretty much slaves to our genes. Lifestyle changes can improve the outlook on certain genetic faults (ie: proper diet and exercise if you have a family history of heart disease), but 9 times out of 10 our DNA wins. The reverse can be true as well…if you have a family history of longevity you might live to be 100 despite a lifetime of smoking and drinking.

Here’s an example of one genetic basis for longevity. There are likely several others…

A lot of longevity research involves the enzyme telomerase, which affects how many times DNA can replicate. It’s very tricky research though, and not just a matter of injecting someone with more telomerase, as the same enzyme is used in the formation of cancerous cells.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Are there genes which can cause you to live a long time? My adopted grandmother who died 15 years ago (August 4, 1995) was 108 when she passed. I think the cause of death was kidney failure. In her life, from what I understand, she’d never been sick until her final years. In fact, she died clinically once, when she was 102, but the doctors were able to resuscitate her and she lived another 6 years.

Now it was said, her father, who was born a slave, died at the age of 116 in 1972.

My adopted grandmother didnt drink or smoke, but she wasnt a health nut either. She ate her share of porkchops, collard greens and fried chicken and catfish and didnt workout. Was her extremely long life caused by good genes?[/quote]

YES.

Someppl’s DNA denatures slower than others, look up “Telemers” i think it is;some peoples are longer than others (winkwink). Pretty conclusive. The only reason i can think of anyone wanting to live longer than normal is maybe more time to win the Lottery?! If i make it 'yond 70 ive done good.

look at george burns, the guy smoked all his life and lived to 100

[quote]therajraj wrote:
look at george burns, the guy smoked all his life and lived to 100[/quote]

My grandparents have been chain-smokers since they were 17.

Now they are 82 and 85, and do not have the slightest bit of cancer.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
look at george burns, the guy smoked all his life and lived to 100[/quote]

My grandparents have been chain-smokers since they were 17.

Now they are 82 and 85, and do not have the slightest bit of cancer.[/quote]

knocks on wood

get outta detroit and your life expectency increases automatically.