GENERAL TSAOS RECIPE - RENEGADE CHEF

Im on a low carb diet to cut up for the next few weeks. Lucky me, my coworkers had the brilliant idea of getting general tsaos for lunch, my all time favorite...
 So, I beg of you, if anyone knows a recipe for general tsaos chicken WITHOUT the carbs (they use brown sugar), please please please share it here! You will forever have my respect. MUST....HAVE.... [CARBLESS] GENERAL TSAOS!

dude, i dunno how to make general tso but have u tried using splenda? it’s the optical isomer of regular sugar . . .

General Tsao is a dastardly advesary, but gosh his chicken is delectable. Damn you, General Tsao. Damn you to hell.

Here is the “original” recipe for Gnereal Tso’s chicken:

4 Chicken legs with thighs
1/2 c Soy sauce
1/2 c Distilled white vinegar
1 cl Garlic; minced
1 ts Ginger root; Peeled & minced
1 ts Cornstarch
1 lg Egg; beaten lightly
1/3 c Corn oil
4 Dried hot chilis; seeded

Bone the chicken legs, including the thighs by scraping the meat from the bone, working downward and keeping close to the bone. Pull the meat down over the bone (pulling it inside out like a glove) and cut it free from the bone. Discard the skin and cut the meat from each leg into 6 pieces.

In a bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 c water, the garlic and ginger root.

In another bowl, combine the egg and cornstarch and dip the chicken pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet until very hot, add the chicken and fry it for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it is crisp. Transfer the chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 T of the oil from the wok. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chili peppers and the chicken and cook the mixture over moderately high heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through.

Transfer it to a heated serving dish. Serves 4.

This is actually an Chinese-American dish, not a traditional Chinese dish. And although General Tso is a real person from Chinese history, the dish has nothing to do with him.

Well put KO everyone thinks that real Chinese people eat it. But my mom and dad won’t go near it. I on the other hand love the stuff because I was born in the USA… And thanks for the recipe KO I going to whip some of that up tommorow. I also notice you use dark meat would it work w/ white meat KO?

Fitone, I have a question for you.

Since you were born here, does that make English your first language?

DocT yes but in my house there’s a rule that we must speak chinese. So in ways I have to chinese is the main language spoken in the house.

I used to work in a Chinese resturaunt back in college (delivery driver). At the end of the night they would cook up dinner for themselves and I would eat with them. Completely different from the stuff you would find in most Chinese resturaunts, and really good, too.

Kim:

I also useto work in a Chinese restaurant (along with my mom, who is Cantonese). And you’re right! There would be quite the spread in the kitchen for the employees.
The typical person who goes to a Chinese restaurant would not like at all authentic Chinese food. A real shame, too; authentic Chinese food is much better than the typical stuff in American/Chinese restaurants (like, dyed red barbecue pork…blegh). BUT I do have a fondneess for General Tso’s Chicken. :slight_smile:

Hey Patricia, ni hao (is it the same in Cantonese as it is in Mandarin?) I agree, General Tsao’s and Kung Pao Chicken are two of my faves. Too bad all the Chinese resturaunts here suck :frowning:

Just a bit different, it’s “nei hou” (Hello), or “nei hou maa” (How are you?).

But: Nei Hou, Kim!

Ney hou maa patricia...hehe (are all the cantonese girls that hot?)

To KO: Thanx oh great one! I'll be making myself a big big batch and eat my guts out. Is there anyway I can substitute corn starch for somthing else, or even not use it at all?

It will work for white meat.

The corn starch is to make the chicken crispy, and also to help thicken the sauce. You could leave out the egg/cornstarch part and just stirfry the chicken in oil.

Ko what is the sweetening agent in that recipe,isnt general Tso supposed to be sweet? And what could I use to sweeten the sauce without adding tons of carbs from sugar?

Thanks KO

Pugs

Ps: also ko do you have any good jerky recipes I could use I just got a dehydrator a few days ago.

Thanks again