General Split Guidelines

I have been working out for about 6-7 months, and I feel like my split is not optimal. What should I try? My current split is chest/tri, back/bi, legs, shoulders

What are your goals? Are you progressing towards them?

Why do you think your split isn’t optimal? That’s a relatively standard split.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
What are your goals? Are you progressing towards them?[/quote]
Im trying to put on muscle. I weigh about 180 and idealy id like to be about 200

How much weight are you currently gaining? What did you eat yesterday?

[quote]Mendelsohn22 wrote:
Im trying to put on muscle. I weigh about 180 and idealy id like to be about 200[/quote]
At your age and height, you could hit that goal in just a few months. Could. Big emphasis on could.

I’d bet a day’s pay that your nutrition needs as much, if not more, improvement than your training.

Like dagill said, what did you eat yesterday? And what did you weigh 6-7 months ago?

nutrition and training intensity trump everything, assuming your exercise selection isn’t terrible. The specifics of a training split fall well behind these 2 factors.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
nutrition and training intensity trump everything, assuming your exercise selection isn’t terrible. The specifics of a training split fall well behind these 2 factors.[/quote]

So you don’t think the answer is just some extra calf raises on shoulder day?

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
nutrition and training intensity trump everything, assuming your exercise selection isn’t terrible. The specifics of a training split fall well behind these 2 factors.[/quote]

So you don’t think the answer is just some extra calf raises on shoulder day?[/quote]

good point. I’ll put that on this the list.

1. Nutrition
  2. calf raises on shoulder day
  3. intensity

^in order of importance

Being less facetious, although this is nothing new:

I’m always amused by guys that say “I think my program has stopped working”

What’s your program? (List of body parts)

What’s your goal? “I want to get bigger.”

OP:

1. Describe your program in more detail than chest/tri, back/bi, legs, shoulders.

What exercises, how many sets, how many reps, weight loading, etc. Help us help you.

1. Describe what, exactly, you ate yesterday. Be honest. Then tell us if that’s a normal day.