T Nation

General Question

Hey, I work in the oil patch in Northern Alberta. I'm strong enough, but have always been chubby. I was just wondering how to get more definition all over and a balanced diet for someone who is away from home for 3 motnhs at a time.

thanks in advance

Dont eat.
Read about Nutrition.
Ask specific questions AFTER you searched here and elsewhere.

Holz is just trolling.

The only way to lose fat is to maintain a caloric deficit in your diet. This means that you have to eat fewer calories than you burn. Now, there are many ways to make this easier. For one, your body prefers to use protein not for energy, but for the maintenance of cells. Most of the protein you take in doesn’t really count as calories - your body isn’t using them as energy. Even when protein is used as energy, the process to render it into energy is very inefficient, AND protein has a much higher thermic value than carbs or fat (meaning it takes more energy to digest).

It’s also easy to lose fat by cutting down on the carbs to like 80-100g per day. Carbs are your body’s preferred source of energy, but your body can make energy from anything you eat. By eating fewer carbs, your body will use fat for energy, which is an inefficient process, and if your body comes up a little short, it has to take from your body fat stores.

Fat is crucial to have in your diet, since fat is necessary for the turnover of cells as well as the production of hormones. People on low fat diets tend to have a messed up endocrine and immune system, among other things. Plus, fat contributes to a feeling of satiety (or fullness) and is what makes food taste better.

All of this means that you should eat a diet that is high in protein and good fats, and low in carbs. This means lots of lean meat, veggies, and fruit. Stay away from bread and pasta, as it’s loaded with carbs. I’d recommend counting calories using www.fitday.com. It’s free and an excellent resource.

Good luck, man. Post back from time to time to let us know how it’s going.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/advanced_nutrition.htm
for starters :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice, the only problem I will have with the diet is, I stay in camp for 3 months at a time and i eat what they cook lol.