General Lifting Rules

I’ve heard a couple of general indicators for potential numbers in the snatch and clean and jerk. Are the following well recognised as being true?

-you should c&j 80% of your squat, and snatch 80% of your c&j
-within one year of training, you should snatch what you c&j’d
-you should be able to clean what you can front squat for a tripple (approx. 90%)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I’ve heard a couple of general indicators for potential numbers in the snatch and clean and jerk. Are the following well recognised as being true?

-you should be able to clean what you can front squat for a tripple (approx. 90%)[/quote]

The first and last ones are very commonly spoken in the lifting world. They tend to be true of someone with very good technique. I’ve never heard the 2nd one, though I’d say it really depends on how you started and how much you are willing to focus on technique.

I know that my coaches have said that once you are getting up to 80% of your back squat on your clean, your technique is really starting to solidify. Also… once you get up there, you know its time to start pushing your strength again!

-you should be able to clean what you can front squat for a tripple (approx. 90%)

1. never heard of that, always heard Snatch 80% of your C&J is a solid figure if you have good technique
  2. never heard of that, but you should be able to Snatch at least bw after a y ear if not sooner, a lot depends on how much you weigh, much harder if you weigh 100kg as oppose to 77 or 85kg.
  3. Whatever you can front squat for 3reps you should be able to C&J, not just Clean it! Savage I know…

Your front to back squat Oly style should be about 80-90%. If your only front squating 70% of your back squat you need to sort it out.

And if your only Snatching 60-70% of your C&J you need to work more on your Snatch.

These are just basic guidelines and are fine if yoru -/+ 3-5% really imo. Just if your 10% off then thats an issue.

Koing

5 reps in the front squat is what i need to make sure i can clean this weight.

Snatch to c&j ratio is about right, but i’ve never been able to clean 80% of my back squat, i’d be one of the best in the country if i could!

1 and 3 are fairly common ratio rules. 2 is kinda athlete specific.

I would say that after a certain point 80% of your BkSq will be a hard number to clean if you really work the weight up. Then again if you have a tall lifter who has a shit time squatting that ratio will be way different.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
1 and 3 are fairly common ratio rules. 2 is kinda athlete specific.

I would say that after a certain point 80% of your BkSq will be a hard number to clean if you really work the weight up. Then again if you have a tall lifter who has a shit time squatting that ratio will be way different.

-chris[/quote]

this is very true, usually elite lifters will have HUGE squat numbers, beacsue after you have been lifting for years and years the only way to get your classic lifts up are to get stronger, ie, squats, pulls, presses ect…

look at mutlu, i have seen footage of him doing 200 front squats for DOUBLES only a few days out from competition, which i would assume would add up to a 210 for a single, even more. And his highest competition lift as a 56 lifter was 168, which is EXACTLY 80% of 210. And remember, thats in the FRONT squat not from the back.

same deal with mutlu’s polar opposite, Rezazadah, the guys 3rd warm up set in the back squat is 115% of his clean and jerk.

I’ve never heard of this 80% rule for your Clean to back Squat ratio. It would be hard/ impossible for an Elite lifter who are not strength bound in their squats with ridiculously strong squats.

There becomes a point where you can’t just stack on weight to your squats and get an increase on your lifts as evident by the lifters who can front squat much more then they Clean.

Koing