General Diet Help

I’m going to be moving to university at the beginning of October and I’m also just starting to take my training really seriously. I’ll be on a tight budget and want to eat in order to get strong.

I have a few questions about diet but I didn’t want to create several topics and they’re all fairly similar.

1. Can people give me ideas of some good carb sources. Currently I find myself alternating between pasta and rice each day which is getting a bit boring.

2. I struggle to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as I don’t like too many, I’ve seen people recommend superfoods. Could someone tell me any cheap easily available ones they’d recommend.

3. My current diet is some sort of cereal for breakfast with a yoghurt, fruit and protein shake, a couple of pieces of meat, rice and veg for lunch and then similar for dinner, it’ll probably be the exact same as lunch once I go to university and I cook my own evening meal. Then throughout the day I’ll snack on nuts, maybe a bit of chocolate, biscuits and probably a protein shake or two with semi skimmed milk. How does this look as a diet? I’ve just read 5/3/1 and plan to aim for at least 4 meals daily as Jim’s advice and perhaps some sort of meat for breakfast.

4. This follows on from the previous question somewhat, I feel like I’m not eating as many carbs as would be optimal for strength gains. I’ve attached a picture of an average lunch so you can get an idea of the portion size. Is this about right or do I need to change anything?

I’m 5’10’’ and about 180-184lbs, thank you for any help and sorry for the long post.

[quote=“caesium32, post:1, topic:221648”]
Can people give me ideas of some good carb sources. Currently I find myself alternating between pasta and rice each day which is getting a bit boring.[/quote]

Breads, potato (various), quinoa, couscous, polenta, oats, etc

Looks great. I would add some fat though.

Thank you, nice to know I’m on the right track. What healthy sources of fat could I have? I’ve started having cashew nuts as a snack but other than that have no idea.

Sorry to revive an old topic can anyone help me out with healthy sources of fat or my initial questions?