T Nation

General Athletic Population

I’m on this site because I wanna be the best possible athlete I can become. Is there some sort of organization out there that has simple athletic events that include tests in strength, speed, agility, power, or any conjunction of the 4?

When I’m done with hoops this is something I would be interested in events like this, but I wonder if there would be any demand for this sort of thing. Imagine squatdr vs. Frank Yang in tests like the squat, sprints, vertical leap, broad jump, and (insert any of a million possibilities).

Would that not be something anybody would be interested in?

the nike sparq thing is kind of like what your talking about. but yeah i agree that would be cool my money is on the Dr.

Yeah that’d be interesting to see and fun as hell to compete it. A whole new animal, really.

How bout track and field? or a decathalon(that is where you do like 11 or so track and feild events and the winner is the one who is best overall, right?)

There is this:

www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?eventid=169996

Yeah kinda like the sparq rating system extended past high school athletes, where you assign a score for all of the events combined. The crossfit events are similar to what I’m talking about maybe minus the cardiovascular portion.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
How bout track and field? or a decathalon(that is where you do like 11 or so track and feild events and the winner is the one who is best overall, right?)[/quote]

The decathlon only has ten events.

Deca = Ten in the prefixes of anything associated with numbers.

In Japan, there is an insane obstacle course that requires strength and endurance. It’s called the Sasuke. Some of the American gymnasts have entered and gotten through the first few rounds, but couldn’t complete the challenge.

Here’s a clip of someone actually completing it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PjmIh9cXUmg

Sasuke is actually the name of the TV show. It was named after a ninja.

Isn’t it Ninja Warrior?

Isn’t it Ninja Warrior?

Yea its ninja warrior, seen an american olympic athlete try it once and he never even it made it past the first stage.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger has been around since I was in high school (I am 32 now). I remember them having a pretty good regiment overall. Could be worth taking a look…www.biggerfasterstronger.com/home/home.asp

Yeah it’s called basketball.

As the other person said; the decathlon.

10 events to test speed, power, agility, mobility, and endurance.

Running:
100m
110mh
400m
1500m

Jumping:
High Jump
Long Jump
Pole Vault

Throwing:
Shot Put
Discus
Javelin

There’s no better way to objectively measure a well rounded athlete.

Yep they call the gold medalist of the decathlon the ‘worlds greatest athlete’

Here is an idea of how good you can be at all of the events also

He holds the world record in points, his marks are pretty damn impressive.

The decathalon is a little much for what I was thinking, and from what I can tell crossfit comes the closest since they cover pretty much everything (powerlifting, oly lifting, jumping, and general conditioning).

If I was to start some sort of competition today I’d total the athletes back squat (maybe front squat just to be different), power clean, vertical jump, standing long jump, and 20 yard dash then devise some sort of scoring method based on the 5 events.

Sounds a lot like a combine, but I think there should be something out there for the general population.

[quote]rell816 wrote:
I’m on this site because I wanna be the best possible athlete I can become. Is there some sort of organization out there that has simple athletic events that include tests in strength, speed, agility, power, or any conjunction of the 4?

When I’m done with hoops this is something I would be interested in events like this, but I wonder if there would be any demand for this sort of thing. Imagine squatdr vs. Frank Yang in tests like the squat, sprints, vertical leap, broad jump, and (insert any of a million possibilities).

Would that not be something anybody would be interested in?[/quote]

Hey, there’s a vertical jump forum called www.theveticalsummit.com we have something similar to this where we can compete with each other. It’s alot of fun! I highly suggest you look into it. Alot of the guys there are basketball players, some are volleyball & some just like to workout for power/strength & of course train for the vertical jump.

[quote]rell816 wrote:
The decathalon is a little much for what I was thinking, and from what I can tell crossfit comes the closest since they cover pretty much everything (powerlifting, oly lifting, jumping, and general conditioning).

If I was to start some sort of competition today I’d total the athletes back squat (maybe front squat just to be different), power clean, vertical jump, standing long jump, and 20 yard dash then devise some sort of scoring method based on the 5 events.

Sounds a lot like a combine, but I think there should be something out there for the general population.[/quote]

if one did a full clean would they be dqed?

:slight_smile:

I agree with previous posters. What you want is track and field.