Gene Rychlak Called Out

I wonder if he takes his sunglasses off at night.

…or ever for that matter.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
This is hysterical. I watched that vid of him “benching” 975. Surely he ought to be able to move 600 the 8 inches to his fat gut and up again.[/quote]

hahahahaha - that’s funny!

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
I wonder if he takes his sunglasses off at night.

…or ever for that matter.[/quote]

hahahahah - funny #2.

Sorry for the hijack but on his website there is a video of gene squatting 1005. Well the man benches 1005, squats 1005, and I’m going to assume he can at least pull 700. Why the fuck doesn’t he do 3 lift meets. He and Gary Frank would be battling it out all the time. It would be awesome to watch.

[quote]chtdrmn wrote:
Sorry for the hijack but on his website there is a video of gene squatting 1005. Well the man benches 1005, squats 1005, and I’m going to assume he can at least pull 700. Why the fuck doesn’t he do 3 lift meets. He and Gary Frank would be battling it out all the time. It would be awesome to watch.[/quote]

I think he is training to do some 3-lift meets in the near future.

[quote]slattimer wrote:

I think he is training to do some 3-lift meets in the near future.
[/quote]

Judging by the looks of it, he probably doesn’t have the GPP to be able to do that much lifting in one weekend.

And by the way, I’ve decided I’m gonna start my own bench press only association. It’ll be unlimited-ply. So if you wanna use a 4-ply or a 17-ply bench shirt, then go right ahead. At the meets, whoever can touch the bar to their chest will be the winner. Doesn’t matter if you can lift it back up, I wanna see you be able to touch it to your chest with a 4-ply denim/titanium alloy Inzer Advance shirt. Now that shit would be fuckin impressive.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
This is hysterical. I watched that vid of him “benching” 975. Surely he ought to be able to move 600 the 8 inches to his fat gut and up again.[/quote]

Complaining that Gene’s ROM is shorter than yours is equivalent to complaining that most of the top basketball players are taller than you and therefore have less of a distance to travel to the rim.

Quit your bitching about biomechanical advantages. It’s an indelible part of sport.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
I wanna see you be able to touch it to your chest with a 4-ply denim/titanium alloy Inzer Advance shirt. Now that shit would be fuckin impressive.[/quote]

Maybe there could be a spotter on each side that pushes the barbell down to the benchers chest. Then the judge would say, “Lift” and then both spotters let go at the same time :slight_smile:

[quote]Atreides wrote:

Really?..because he didn’t deny it on the phone.[/quote]

a quote from coan “I am judging it, not running it.”

The guy already has the gear bench record by 100lbs. I don’t think Kennelly is gonna beat him anytime soon, at least not without putting on some weight. Why not just go, get the raw record, and silence his critics?

(yes, i know i’m one of the anti-gear guys, but like i said previously, i do believe Gene is the strongest bencher in the world, i just don’t believe that the 1005 he lifted was particularly meaningful as a bench press)

Even though I’m in the neutral between gear and no gear, you can look at it many ways. I don’t think someone can change someone’s mind about their views on it. Also, using gear in powerlifting is just like a bowler in the pro ranks. If you take away his favorite ball and his wrist support that keeps his wrist straight, he might drop 50-75 pounds on his average, maybe more. All bowlers use their own type of “gear”.

Thats just one example. Very few guys don’t use any wrist support in bowling (even though 95% do), all of them have their own ball, some even have 3-4 bowling balls to pick up spares.

I’m a tall, thin, anti-gear, fat-fucks-benching-alot-with-no-real-range-hating powerlifter. SO GUESS HOW I FEEL!!! Lol I hate Gene, he’s the exact opposite of me, and it eats me alive everyday.

bowling?

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
bowling?[/quote]

Ever hear of it? LOL

how does a bench shirt work?

A bench shirt pulls your arms forward. It’s like benching with springs behind your arms. As you lower the bar, the fabric between your chest stretches, thus storing elastic energy on your descent. The elastic energy helps you push the bar. A well fitting single ply TITAN Fury or F6 should get you 60+ pounds. The fatter you are the more you can get out of it. Fat compresses much easier and you can squeeze into a tight shirt.

In terms of powerlifting gear, the only concern I have is the public’s perception. If the public cannot identify with a sport, they will not want to watch it. I know I always catch crap from other lifters when I gear up. Powerlifting is a sport that can be practiced without equipment. Autoracing is not a good analogy because inherent in its practice you need a car. I am not suggesting that autoracers get rid of there vehicles. I believe the purity of the sport has been diluted by equipment.

beef

Just from what I’ve heard and understand from Jim Parrish who originally trained Gene, and who is very pro equipment himself is that Gene probably gets somewhere close to 300 out of his shirt at this particular time (Benching 1005).

I’m consider myself to be pro raw and pro equipment as a fan, and haven’t lifted yet in a meet myself.

Jim said that for himself, he benched 530 with equipment when his oun raw max was 380. That didn’t mean he didn’t have to get stronger to do 530 equipped that he did when he did 350 raw, just that the strength was in different places.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:

In terms of powerlifting gear, the only concern I have is the public’s perception. If the public cannot identify with a sport, they will not want to watch it. I know I always catch crap from other lifters when I gear up. Powerlifting is a sport that can be practiced without equipment.
beef[/quote]

This is a good point, I went to the Arnold Classic and did a very amatuerish video which I’ve shown to several friends and the one comment I kept getting was "how much would that be without the shirt/suit?

Everything is relative, the average recreational lifter wants to know where they stand compared to the best a sport has to offer; if you want to see how you measure up against Tim Montgomery’s 100m record then you can go to a track and see how you do, shouldn’t powerlifting be the same?

Regards BJ

[quote]Blond Jerk wrote:
beefcakemdphd wrote:

In terms of powerlifting gear, the only concern I have is the public’s perception. If the public cannot identify with a sport, they will not want to watch it. I know I always catch crap from other lifters when I gear up. Powerlifting is a sport that can be practiced without equipment.
beef

This is a good point, I went to the Arnold Classic and did a very amatuerish video which I’ve shown to several friends and the one comment I kept getting was "how much would that be without the shirt/suit?

Everything is relative, the average recreational lifter wants to know where they stand compared to the best a sport has to offer; if you want to see how you measure up against Tim Montgomery’s 100m record then you can go to a track and see how you do, shouldn’t powerlifting be the same?

Regards BJ[/quote]

How about a raw incline bench contest? It could be sort of a compromise–the public could relate to it but the guys who bench wearing a shirt wouldn’t have people saying “Your shirt adds x amount of weight”.
I personally think it would be cool to watch something like a 500 lb. raw incline.

Powerlifting is such a niche sport that I can’t ever see it becoming very big. I see no reason to make it easier for the average who doesn’t care anyway to understand it.