Gene Rychlak Called Out

[quote]JD430 wrote:

And for $500 bucks?

Who’s behind this?[/quote]

Ed Coan.

This is the kind of shit that gives powerlifting a bad name.

atredies, are you serious, or are you just kidding around. what would ed coan get out of this?

The dude benched a grand. Imagine being able to say,“I benched a G today.” I’d be getting all the chicks if I could say that…Hey babe, wanna watch me bench.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
atredies, are you serious, or are you just kidding around. what would ed coan get out of this?[/quote]

Get the mag out and read it yourself. Read the fine print. Ed Coan is hosting the meet.

[quote]vroom wrote:
It’s publicity, plain and simple…[/quote]

I agree. What’s the best way to add some buzz to a raw meet? Call out the equiped world record holder and challenge him to lift raw… a bunch of people pay to come and watch…it’s marketing pure and simple and it’s brilliant if you’re in to that kind of thing (buzz marketing).

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Imagine being able to say,“I benched a G today.” I’d be getting all the chicks if I could say that…Hey babe, wanna watch me bench.[/quote]

Slimjim I don’t think most chicks could care less what you bench.

I’d laugh to see you say it with a straight face though.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
MikeShank wrote:
atredies, are you serious, or are you just kidding around. what would ed coan get out of this?

Get the mag out and read it yourself. Read the fine print. Ed Coan is hosting the meet.[/quote]

Damn! One of powerlifting’s greatest. Was Coan a RAW lifter??

[quote]Atreides wrote:
This is the kind of shit that gives powerlifting a bad name.[/quote]

I agree 100%. If those involved in the sport can’t get along and understand as well as support one another then how could anyone outside the sport do so, and more importantly why would they want to.

[quote]

Slimjim I don’t think most chicks could care less what you bench.

I’d laugh to see you say it with a straight face though. [/quote]

Of course chicks care what you bench, that’s why every monday theres a line of skinny ass college students waiting for a bench to open so they can start their workout. 20 eighteen year olds couldn’t be wrong about this.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
Atreides wrote:
Get the mag out and read it yourself. Read the fine print. Ed Coan is hosting the meet.[/quote]

Coan is judging the event, he has nothing else to do with it, or its advertising.

I haven’t read the ad yet and maybe I shouldn’t contribute, but I like the idea of comparing/contrasting natural bench with shirted bench. I read that you get 50# or 100# (or whatever) out of a shirt. It’d be cool to know what Rychlak gets out of one (405# seems like a lot but I don’t know for sure). How does Rychlak come out of this on top? I don’t think the posted reply was the most tactful. Extend an olive branch, be the bigger man, as was suggested, distribute/post a vid capture of a raw bench that puts you in the top 5-10 (not knowing what his raw bench is, assume this would be easy), don’t show up, let them keep their money, and say something to the effect of “If I’d spent the last X years training to lift without a shirt I’d definitely be a contender if not THE top raw 'presser around but with gear, the sport is more about the size of the number you put up than what you do to put it up there.” I don’t know how malicious the ad is, maybe I’ll post more when I’ve read the ad.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
“I for one would like to see him do it. I couldn’t imagine him not being able to put that up, no way he gets 405lbs out of his gear. I think it would generate some really good PR for him.”

405? I honestly dont know much about shirts, but I highly doubt that any shirt is giving someone 600lbs.
I mean come on, 405? [/quote]

You should read the post, he meant the other way around lol. He said getting 405lb out of gear not 600lb. Still, he was doubtful of that b/c 405lb added from gear is still too much.

Gene. R prob gets around 300lb from gear and the rest raw (some roids?).

I don’t know about anyone else, but if it was me personally being called out, I would just do it! It would shut up a lot of people. Now, if I couldn’t do it, then I would probably avoid it all together. Its just a challenge. I remember a few years back, someone challenged Ronnie Coleman (I think it was) to a bench press competition (reps of 225 I believe it was). Ronnie did win by quite a few reps.

Like I said earlier, Gene should just have someone videotape him benching 600 and then send it in. Saves time and he’ll get some cash. Win-win situation.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
I don’t know about anyone else, but if it was me personally being called out, I would just do it! It would shut up a lot of people. Now, if I couldn’t do it, then I would probably avoid it all together. Its just a challenge. I remember a few years back, someone challenged Ronnie Coleman (I think it was) to a bench press competition (reps of 225 I believe it was). Ronnie did win by quite a few reps.

Like I said earlier, Gene should just have someone videotape him benching 600 and then send it in. Saves time and he’ll get some cash. Win-win situation.[/quote]

I agree. Accepting the challenge is a chance to shut up his challengers. It could also possibly lead to some healing between the raw and gear camps.

Some of the raw camp would have more respect for Gene if he could win the challenge.

It would also kill some of the talk that lifters who use gear can’t lift without it.

[quote]basementD wrote:
HouseOfAtlas wrote:

Like I said earlier, Gene should just have someone videotape him benching 600 and then send it in. Saves time and he’ll get some cash. Win-win situation.

I agree. Accepting the challenge is a chance to shut up his challengers. It could also possibly lead to some healing between the raw and gear camps.

Some of the raw camp would have more respect for Gene if he could win the challenge.

It would also kill some of the talk that lifters who use gear can’t lift without it.
[/quote]

The downside to videotaping is those who are making the challenge would say there are editing or digital questions. Based on that…Gene should just say keep your 500.00 bucks and use it to fly your ass outhere to see me lift it…then stay the bleep outta my face.

That is if he can lift it raw. If not…as it mentioned already…he should keep his mouth shut and just train.

This is hysterical. I watched that vid of him “benching” 975. Surely he ought to be able to move 600 the 8 inches to his fat gut and up again.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
This is hysterical. I watched that vid of him “benching” 975. Surely he ought to be able to move 600 the 8 inches to his fat gut and up again.[/quote]

awww, a little green eyed becaused somebody has less distance to press… how about abusing dwarfs as well…

[quote]cycomiko wrote:
HouseOfAtlas wrote:
Atreides wrote:
Get the mag out and read it yourself. Read the fine print. Ed Coan is hosting the meet.

Coan is judging the event, he has nothing else to do with it, or its advertising.[/quote]

Really?..because he didn’t deny it on the phone.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
This is hysterical. I watched that vid of him “benching” 975. Surely he ought to be able to move 600 the 8 inches to his fat gut and up again.[/quote]

wtf? That guy has shit turds that were bigger than you. So what if he uses a shirt. There isn’t anyone else who can bench as much as he can using the same or even different techniques.