Gender Norms, Postmodernism and How We Identify and MeToo

:yum: If he ever decides to leave, I can’t stop him lol. But I think he’s made it clear he’s attracted to women. He’s just different as all. His parents weren’t very condescending when it came to talking about if he liked males or females, they just asked how he felt. Which is something I wish my parents did when I was young though. Tai-Kwon-Do, and Robotics are some other things that are his hobbies too.

1 Like

I’ve read bits and pieces of it. I’m inclined to just not reply since folks are free to express their opinion as they see fit anyways. But I do disagree.

1 Like

No, but isn’t there a place in a civil society for manners and common courtesy? If someone named Richard does not want to be called Ricky, would anyone have a problem with it? If a 70 year old woman insisted that younger people refer to her as Mrs.Whatever and not her first name would that be a terrible thing? Those are both situations in which we are talking about identity.

Legislating language is another matter.

1 Like

Actually, in certain contexts you will pay a price for being “wrong” although it could just as easily be labelled “dickhead”. Your boss says to refer to him as a female, you will or be fired. You exercised your rights and so did she. Congratulations. Your family won’t eat because you couldn’t simply show someone else some consideration.

I believe you’re describing Availability bias - The availability bias happens when people often judge the likelihood of an event, or frequency of its occurrence by the ease with which examples and instances come easily to mind.

1 Like

I’d rather not play into their delusions. Not even for a job. See, I consider them to be the ‘dickhead’ for insisting I ignore reality.

It’s their reality. Science can tell you about their DNA but not how they think and feel. If a man wants to be called Mrs. what do I care? If it makes him happy I don’t have a problem with it. It costs me nothing.

1 Like

And I feel they are a he and she based on male and female.So, that’s what I go by.

And intentionally hurting people’s feelings, just to hurt their feelings, makes the world a better place?

I think what it boils down to is that we are engaged in a power struggle as to who is allowed to define things.

I"m not intentionally hurting their feelings. I’m just not going to pretend I share the same delusions.

How do you know whether they’re male, or female? You checking chromosomes, or, uh, junk?

Thank you.

Anyways, I just don’t see any of this stuff happening IRL nearly as much as there are stories about it. Maybe once a year I’ll actually see or hear about someone that is transitioning or that dresses like the opposite gender but its so few and far between that its negligible.

2 Likes

By the ones that look like males and females until I understand otherwise.

You don’t call out “sir” to a male looking individual who just dropped their wallet?

What do you mean, ‘look male/female’?

You can tattoo whiskers on your cheeks and and have your teeth extended. It’s legal, so go for it. But I’m not calling you a tiger. I’m not a 7’2 Laotian woman, and I don’t expect everyone else to pretend I am if I asked it of them. I wouldn’t ask.

Eye, if you really need this explained…

I am not going to start pretending we aren’t categorizing male and female in our (don’t deny it) daily lives.

Lol, I can relate. I’m not a particularly macho guy myself. I think we’re basically on the same page. Individuals are individuals. Trying to put everyone in a neat little box is pretty silly as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

The only time I’ve seen this be an issue is if one manages the other or there is some hierarchy there. There’s just no benefit to make a complaint when it’s coworkers when nothing had happened

Now, if someone is underperforming… there I’ve seen loads of issues.

People are assholes.