T Nation

Geek S**T The SIXTH

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9333/bfbeta.jpg

battlefield 3 beta is overrated

we all want diablo 3 beta invitations =(

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
battlefield 3 beta is overrated

we all want diablo 3 beta invitations =([/quote]

You know this how?

I would have been similarly skeptical if I haven’t already played the alpha. It’s by far the best multiplayer game I’ve played in a very long time in every way shape and form and I wasn’t a COD or BF fanboy before I played the alpha.

Diablo 3 is another one I’m looking forward to as well. When I get my hands on one of those beta invitations, I’ll rub that one in as well. :slight_smile:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Bujo wrote:

Was the obstacle course something like Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder? I’ll be running a Warrior Dash in Austin in November. They look like fun, and are just the right length for me. 3 miles is about all the fun I can stand when it comes to running.
[/quote]

Yea man in my log in the over 35 is all the details, actually I linked the pictures you can see what I did.
It was called beachapaloza but its the same guys who do the Warrior Dash etc. I think we (our group) are actually doing the Warrior dash in November also.[/quote]

Spiffy.

X-men destiny would be at the house when I get home. I’ll let you guys know if it was worth it.

[quote]Bujo wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Bujo wrote:

Was the obstacle course something like Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder? I’ll be running a Warrior Dash in Austin in November. They look like fun, and are just the right length for me. 3 miles is about all the fun I can stand when it comes to running.
[/quote]

Yea man in my log in the over 35 is all the details, actually I linked the pictures you can see what I did.
It was called beachapaloza but its the same guys who do the Warrior Dash etc. I think we (our group) are actually doing the Warrior dash in November also.[/quote]

Spiffy.
[/quote]

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9333/bfbeta.jpg[/quote]

I believe us regular folks who haven’t pre-ordered have to wait until 9/29 to get in on the beta.

I’ll be trying it out on PS3.

One question - do most people playing multiplayer on PC use headsets? It seems like on PS3, the only people who use headsets are racists or 12 year olds (and sometime racist 12 year olds). I know most people on 360 have a headset, since they have the basic one they got with a live starter pack.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9333/bfbeta.jpg[/quote]

I believe us regular folks who haven’t pre-ordered have to wait until 9/29 to get in on the beta.

I’ll be trying it out on PS3.

One question - do most people playing multiplayer on PC use headsets? It seems like on PS3, the only people who use headsets are racists or 12 year olds (and sometime racist 12 year olds). I know most people on 360 have a headset, since they have the basic one they got with a live starter pack.[/quote]

i Think playing resident evil 5 and failing to inject wesker with the god damn virus for like 1 hour and a half on multiple tries was the time i was most offended in my life.

Then i noticed the kid was like 12 and that i’m considered old for this shit =(

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
One question - do most people playing multiplayer on PC use headsets?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9333/bfbeta.jpg[/quote]

I believe us regular folks who haven’t pre-ordered have to wait until 9/29 to get in on the beta.

I’ll be trying it out on PS3.

One question - do most people playing multiplayer on PC use headsets? It seems like on PS3, the only people who use headsets are racists or 12 year olds (and sometime racist 12 year olds). I know most people on 360 have a headset, since they have the basic one they got with a live starter pack.[/quote]

I would say that MOST of the people who play on PC use headsets and the ratio that are adults vs angry 12 year old kids are about 3:1 or so. A better split than most of the console gamers who use mics/headsets

[quote]Bujo wrote:
So I finally got around to reading some of the new DCnU/reboot/relaunch comics. I read Justice League, Action Comics (Superman), and Superboy. So far? I’m pretty pleased. Interestingly it seems different titles are telling stories from different eras of each character. I’ll come back to that in a bit.

Justice League #1
Justice League is the strongest title out of the gate. In this world superhumans are a new concept just being discovered. They are much a mystery verse the celebrity status many held in the previous continuum. Batman, Green Lantern, and Superman all seem well established in their unique roles, but none of them have ever formally met before. They all know of each other, but they’ve each stuck to their own niches. Both Gotham and Metropolis PD seems to have open “shoot on sight” orders for both Batman and Superman.

We first meet Batman. Batman is the stealth guy. Every move is planned and executed precisely. He moves and approaches everything cautiously and efficiently. If you’ve ever played a Splintercell game, then you know you’ve got to play the game smart. You can’t go in guns blazing. That’s Batman, and it is awesome.

Green Lantern is the exact opposite. Hal Jordan’s shit don’t stink. There isn’t a problem in the world he can’t handle, or so he believes. Everything he does pretty much annoys Batman, and much highlarity ensues. Their interaction is perfect.

Finally, on the last page we meet Superman in his new costume. Green Lantern thinking he’s the cock of the walk, gets taken down a peg. The issue ends setting the stage for a confrontation between Supes and Batsy. I’m looking forward to the next issue.

Action Comics #1
This comic begins about 6 months after Clark Kent moves to Metropolis. Clark is making his way as a free lance reporter and competing with Lois Lane at the rival newspaper. Jimmy Olsen is Clark’s best friend in Metropolis, and Lois’ camera man. It’s nice that they got that connection squared away quickly and efficiently. Superman isn’t the Superman we’re used to seeing.

He’s not even the Superman I just saw in Justice League #1. He stomps around in workboots, jeans, and a t-shirt. That’s him in my avatar. He can’t fly yet, but he’s got heat/x-ray vision, and super jump. He’s strong as hell, but not near the level we’re used to. After fighting a wrecking ball, a couple tanks, and a few dozen cops Supes looks like most us would after sparring Lennox Lewis. He bruises, he bleeds, he gets knocked the fuck out.

Superboy #1
Superboy starts in some secret underground lab. Sort of a 50/50 mix between the previous continuum’s origin, and the Young Justice show’s origin. He’s clone made with half Kryptonian DNA, and half human DNA. His character is pretty much a blank slate, as would be expected.

His ability to learn is impressive and leaves the reader wondering if we’re seeing his Kryptonian side or is it something new created by his hybrid genetics. Most of the story is character driven and we meet a lot of characters. There is also an immensely powerful organization operating in the shadows that, I’m sure, will see much investigation.

One thing I’m liking about the new books is being re-introduced to (for now) peripheral characters. In Justice League we meet a young Victor, who will become Cyborg in the future. In Action Comics we meet Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Lex Luthor. Superboy gave us a surprise by introducing Rose Wilson. Historically she’s been Deathstroke’s daughter and a villain named Ravager.

My favorite was in Mr Terrific. We got to see Karen Starr, aka Power Girl. While she showed no powers, I’m interested in how DC will develop her this time around. Will they make the horrible mistakes of the 80s where PG and Supergirl got 20 years of retcons trying to explain why they had all abilities of Superman but weren’t Kryptonians. Or will DC take a more direct route in revealing that maybe Supes isn’t the last child of Krypton.

I’m really digging the new DC Universe, and can’t wait to read more of the upcoming new 52.[/quote]
I liked the Green Lantern(mostly because it just continued the storyline and didn’t reboot), I have some hope for a few others but I wish Liefeild would go away he’s fucking up two of my favorite characters Hawk and Dove.

I’ll be picking up about two weeks worth of subs Firday and I’m excited to see Dick back as Nightwing(he’s not now nor should he become Batman they’re two seperate identities if anyone should inherit the mantle it should be Tim Drake). Oh and this is happening in the Batman book

shit everybody is hulking out on DC now.

First Joker on Gotham Asylum now Two-faces, who’s next Pinguin?

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
shit everybody is hulking out on DC now.

First Joker on Gotham Asylum now Two-faces, who’s next Pinguin?[/quote]

Well he did go through his bulking phase.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]Bujo wrote:
So I finally got around to reading some of the new DCnU/reboot/relaunch comics. I read Justice League, Action Comics (Superman), and Superboy. So far? I’m pretty pleased. Interestingly it seems different titles are telling stories from different eras of each character. I’ll come back to that in a bit.

Justice League #1
Justice League is the strongest title out of the gate. In this world superhumans are a new concept just being discovered. They are much a mystery verse the celebrity status many held in the previous continuum. Batman, Green Lantern, and Superman all seem well established in their unique roles, but none of them have ever formally met before. They all know of each other, but they’ve each stuck to their own niches. Both Gotham and Metropolis PD seems to have open “shoot on sight” orders for both Batman and Superman.

We first meet Batman. Batman is the stealth guy. Every move is planned and executed precisely. He moves and approaches everything cautiously and efficiently. If you’ve ever played a Splintercell game, then you know you’ve got to play the game smart. You can’t go in guns blazing. That’s Batman, and it is awesome.

Green Lantern is the exact opposite. Hal Jordan’s shit don’t stink. There isn’t a problem in the world he can’t handle, or so he believes. Everything he does pretty much annoys Batman, and much highlarity ensues. Their interaction is perfect.

Finally, on the last page we meet Superman in his new costume. Green Lantern thinking he’s the cock of the walk, gets taken down a peg. The issue ends setting the stage for a confrontation between Supes and Batsy. I’m looking forward to the next issue.

Action Comics #1
This comic begins about 6 months after Clark Kent moves to Metropolis. Clark is making his way as a free lance reporter and competing with Lois Lane at the rival newspaper. Jimmy Olsen is Clark’s best friend in Metropolis, and Lois’ camera man. It’s nice that they got that connection squared away quickly and efficiently. Superman isn’t the Superman we’re used to seeing.

He’s not even the Superman I just saw in Justice League #1. He stomps around in workboots, jeans, and a t-shirt. That’s him in my avatar. He can’t fly yet, but he’s got heat/x-ray vision, and super jump. He’s strong as hell, but not near the level we’re used to. After fighting a wrecking ball, a couple tanks, and a few dozen cops Supes looks like most us would after sparring Lennox Lewis. He bruises, he bleeds, he gets knocked the fuck out.

Superboy #1
Superboy starts in some secret underground lab. Sort of a 50/50 mix between the previous continuum’s origin, and the Young Justice show’s origin. He’s clone made with half Kryptonian DNA, and half human DNA. His character is pretty much a blank slate, as would be expected.

His ability to learn is impressive and leaves the reader wondering if we’re seeing his Kryptonian side or is it something new created by his hybrid genetics. Most of the story is character driven and we meet a lot of characters. There is also an immensely powerful organization operating in the shadows that, I’m sure, will see much investigation.

One thing I’m liking about the new books is being re-introduced to (for now) peripheral characters. In Justice League we meet a young Victor, who will become Cyborg in the future. In Action Comics we meet Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Lex Luthor. Superboy gave us a surprise by introducing Rose Wilson. Historically she’s been Deathstroke’s daughter and a villain named Ravager.

My favorite was in Mr Terrific. We got to see Karen Starr, aka Power Girl. While she showed no powers, I’m interested in how DC will develop her this time around. Will they make the horrible mistakes of the 80s where PG and Supergirl got 20 years of retcons trying to explain why they had all abilities of Superman but weren’t Kryptonians. Or will DC take a more direct route in revealing that maybe Supes isn’t the last child of Krypton.

I’m really digging the new DC Universe, and can’t wait to read more of the upcoming new 52.[/quote]
I liked the Green Lantern(mostly because it just continued the storyline and didn’t reboot), I have some hope for a few others but I wish Liefeild would go away he’s fucking up two of my favorite characters Hawk and Dove.

I’ll be picking up about two weeks worth of subs Firday and I’m excited to see Dick back as Nightwing(he’s not now nor should he become Batman they’re two seperate identities if anyone should inherit the mantle it should be Tim Drake). Oh and this is happening in the Batman book[/quote]

Not really adding anything of substance to the convo but “Batty Boy” in Jamaican Patois is another way to call someone a fag. Just figured I’d through that out there.

I’ve read Grifter, Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, and Demon Knights.

Demon Knights
It’s gonna be Seven Samurai, but more medieval with a lot more dragons. My only gripe is that Etrigan is no longer speaking in iambic pentameter. Granted only a handful of comic writers know what iambic pentameter is and how to use, but still I’ll miss it.

Deathstroke
Deathstroke = Deadpool + Captain America
Can the old man still hack it as an assassin? So far he’s done a pretty good job of killing folks in the first issue. Looking forward to seeing who he kills next issue.

Suicide Squad
There is a ton of nerd rage over Harley Quinn’s new costume. I like it. Then again I’ve never thought of “Goth Slut” as a derogatory term.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

I liked the Green Lantern(mostly because it just continued the storyline and didn’t reboot), I have some hope for a few others but I wish Liefeild would go away he’s fucking up two of my favorite characters Hawk and Dove.

I’ll be picking up about two weeks worth of subs Firday and I’m excited to see Dick back as Nightwing(he’s not now nor should he become Batman they’re two seperate identities if anyone should inherit the mantle it should be Tim Drake). Oh and this is happening in the Batman book[/quote]

I haven’t gotten to Green Lantern yet. Hawk & Dove? I passed on that book. Never thought much of the duo until they were two hot chicks. Then they were pretty awesome. Then DC started killing off the Hawk character every few months. There must be some love/hate power struggle going on in the DC offices when it comes to those two.

I never liked Dick Grayson as Batman. He should stay as Nightwing. The boy should grow to be his own man, not a carbon copy of his father. I like Tim Drake as Red Robin too. They should groom Damien or maybe introduce Terry McGinnis and use one of them as the “fill-in” Batman nest time Bruce needs to take a break.

Anything in the new 52 that you’d recommend as a must read?

Kindle Fire tablet available for pre-order for $199:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Color/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=amb_link_357575562_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0QBEEPGSKPDBD4GKATG8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321411382&pf_rd_i=507846

Good deal for people looking to get into tablets and missed out on the touchpad.

I wonder how hard this will be to get a hold of for the Holidays, do I order one as an X-mas present now, or do I wait to see how the other guys respond?

[quote]Bujo wrote:
I’ve read Grifter, Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, and Demon Knights.

Demon Knights
It’s gonna be Seven Samurai, but more medieval with a lot more dragons. My only gripe is that Etrigan is no longer speaking in iambic pentameter. Granted only a handful of comic writers know what iambic pentameter is and how to use, but still I’ll miss it.

Deathstroke
Deathstroke = Deadpool + Captain America
Can the old man still hack it as an assassin? So far he’s done a pretty good job of killing folks in the first issue. Looking forward to seeing who he kills next issue.

Suicide Squad
There is a ton of nerd rage over Harley Quinn’s new costume. I like it. Then again I’ve never thought of “Goth Slut” as a derogatory term.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

I liked the Green Lantern(mostly because it just continued the storyline and didn’t reboot), I have some hope for a few others but I wish Liefeild would go away he’s fucking up two of my favorite characters Hawk and Dove.

I’ll be picking up about two weeks worth of subs Firday and I’m excited to see Dick back as Nightwing(he’s not now nor should he become Batman they’re two seperate identities if anyone should inherit the mantle it should be Tim Drake). Oh and this is happening in the Batman book[/quote]

I haven’t gotten to Green Lantern yet. Hawk & Dove? I passed on that book. Never thought much of the duo until they were two hot chicks. Then they were pretty awesome. Then DC started killing off the Hawk character every few months. There must be some love/hate power struggle going on in the DC offices when it comes to those two.

I never liked Dick Grayson as Batman. He should stay as Nightwing. The boy should grow to be his own man, not a carbon copy of his father. I like Tim Drake as Red Robin too. They should groom Damien or maybe introduce Terry McGinnis and use one of them as the “fill-in” Batman nest time Bruce needs to take a break.

Anything in the new 52 that you’d recommend as a must read?

[/quote]
Deadpool is a spoof of Deathstroke, Wade Wilson-Slade Wilson, Stroke-Pool, even the costume is a nod to the 2nd most bad ass character in the DCU(Hawkman is #1). I’m sort of looking forward to Hawkman his history is so fucked up by Johns did a decent job fixing him I hope they don’t fuck it all up. Red Hood and the Outlaws has promise I’m hoping it becomes like The Outsiders when it first came out or The Titans they have two of the main Titans characters in it. Bringing in Terry you say? Well Batman Beyond is now sort of cannon so it is possible. I wish DC would figure out what it is doing though some of the books are in the past Action and JLA, and some didn’t get any retcon at all The Gl books it just seems awful confusing and then there is that female Time Master rip off who was in Flashpoint and has made a few appearences in the new 52 wil is all this stuff just a storyline ala Age of Apocylpse? Sorry for that wall of text run ons and misspells I’m at work and don’t have time between customers to form clear concise sentences

Cool

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Deadpool is a spoof of Deathstroke, Wade Wilson-Slade Wilson, Stroke-Pool, even the costume is a nod to the 2nd most bad ass character in the DCU(Hawkman is #1). [/quote]

I was trying to put Deathstroke’s badassness in terms Marvel fans would understand. Well, so WolBarrett would understand.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I’m sort of looking forward to Hawkman his history is so fucked up by Johns did a decent job fixing him I hope they don’t fuck it all up. Red Hood and the Outlaws has promise I’m hoping it becomes like The Outsiders when it first came out or The Titans they have two of the main Titans characters in it. [/quote]

I like Starfire and Roy Harper as Arsenal. I liked Jason Todd in the Red Hood anime, but can’t say much about him in the comics. DC could replace him with Jade, Metamorpho, and Black Lightning; I’d be pretty happy with that.

Superboy #1 looks to be pitting Superboy against the Teen Titans. I’m guessing the Titans will be seeing a new member before too long.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
Bringing in Terry you say? Well Batman Beyond is now sort of cannon so it is possible. [/quote]

Dick and Tim found their own ways to grow up and not be the Batman, so shoe horning them into the Batman role just feels odd. Terry was pretty much created to be Batman v2.0, and he hasn’t seen much use in the comic books. I think he’d make a pretty good Bats substitute if DC needed one.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I wish DC would figure out what it is doing though some of the books are in the past Action and JLA, and some didn’t get any retcon at all The Gl books it just seems awful confusing and then there is that female Time Master rip off who was in Flashpoint and has made a few appearences in the new 52 wil is all this stuff just a storyline ala Age of Apocylpse? Sorry for that wall of text run ons and misspells I’m at work and don’t have time between customers to form clear concise sentences[/quote]

I agree about this DCnU. It seems like every other book is in a different time line. Justice League #1 had Hal Jordan, Superman, and Batman meeting for the first time. JLI #1 has Batman as a senior JLA member, plus he’s well acquainted with Guy Gardner and Booster Gold. Huh??? DC needs to put something on the first page of every comic. “Old Universe” “New Universe”

I skipped Flashpoint. Time Master? Is she the woman in a white cloak and hood who pops up in the background every so often? I’ve seen her in Grifter and Green Arrow. I was gonna ask if anyone had seen her in other comics.