Geek S**T 3 Gen

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
From the sound of all this, I swear I need to pony up and just buy a PS3[/quote]

Best purchase I’ve made in a while. It is basically my entire entertainment system. Any movies or music on your flashdrive can be played on it. The ONLY glitch I’ve had is that I can’t access this website from the internet server for some strange reason even though I could when I first got it. It freezes up whenever I put the address in. It’s done that ever since this site revamped its website graphics months back. It doesn’t do that for any other site.

PS3 exclusive? Fuck. Guess I have to start saving my pennies for a PS3 then.

Just borrowed my buddies 360 for the summer. Had an HDMI cable so am running games in HD on the plasma. Very nice.

I’ve been loving Street Fighter 4 for the past, oh…18 hours?

Soon after I work and pay off some bills, I will buy a PS3, a flat panel TV for my room and a Vitamix. Damn economy.

So a few things I’m excited about:

I have it on good authority Apple is making an announcement on the new iPhone next week - pity the friend has had to sign a confidentiality clause so that’s all I know. Not sure if it will be released next week, though there is supposed to be mention made of it.

I’m moving into my own flat next Saturday! Finally, I get to spend my hard earned money on a home entertainment system - Sony STR-DA2400ESB Receiver + Jamo 5.1 speakers me thinks. I’ve spent very little time around my console lately, but with all the new upcoming titles, I’m looking forward to a lot of gaming soon.

Seen Microsofts latest ideas?
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49302461,00.htm

I’m getting in on this thread before it becomes too crowded. I’m going to buy a PS3, but I’ll need alot of saving up for a good screen.

Anyone have some recommendations for a good tv that isn’t going to cost me an arm and a leg?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

I have it on good authority Apple is making an announcement on the new iPhone next week - pity the friend has had to sign a confidentiality clause so that’s all I know. Not sure if it will be released next week, though there is supposed to be mention made of it.
[/quote]

Will it still be exclusive to AT&T in the US? I really hate the fact it’s confined to a single carrier, otherwise I would look into purchasing one.

Right now I have a Blackberry Curve through Sprint, and while the selection of apps for it is nowhere near what the iPhone has it’s a very powerful and practical device. I don’t see myself switching unless the iPhone extends to different carriers and becomes cheaper.

And even though I don’t ever see this happening, it would be nice to have an iPhone with a keypad, something similar to the Palm Pre or even a standard smartphone. I prefer keypads to touchscreens, but it’s not a deal-breaker by any means, especially since the iPhone’s app store is just too good to ignore.

I may finally get a PS3, some good games coming out this summer + what they just showed at E3 shows great promise for the future, I just really wish they would drop the price because I could still just get some solid PC upgrades for the same cost(mobo+cpu+vid card) and chug along with MW2 in a few months.

I thought I would be able to resist getting a PS3. Then I had to go and see this. New game from the makers of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

Oh well, I want to be able to play God of War 3 eventually anyway.

[quote]BiscuitChief wrote:

Oh well, I want to be able to play God of War 3 eventually anyway.[/quote]

That’s reason enough all by itself. I still think that long term, the PS3 is going to end up being the better system. Faulting them for not having an entire library of great video games the first year they were out doesn’t make much sense considering their potential.

Plus, blu ray doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
RSGZ wrote:

Will it still be exclusive to AT&T in the US? I really hate the fact it’s confined to a single carrier, otherwise I would look into purchasing one.

Right now I have a Blackberry Curve through Sprint, and while the selection of apps for it is nowhere near what the iPhone has it’s a very powerful and practical device. I don’t see myself switching unless the iPhone extends to different carriers and becomes cheaper.

And even though I don’t ever see this happening, it would be nice to have an iPhone with a keypad, something similar to the Palm Pre or even a standard smartphone. I prefer keypads to touchscreens, but it’s not a deal-breaker by any means, especially since the iPhone’s app store is just too good to ignore.

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure it will still be exclusive to AT&T for at least another year. Supposedly Verizon has been in talks to finally get the iPhone, but Verizon has never really been known for being quick on the draw with getting new phones out on the market.

I read a review of the Pre that said the OS is great, but the keyboard is terrible. They said that it’s so small that even people with tiny hands will hit 3-4 keys at once. It’s a shame because I was between the Pre and iPhone at this point. I have enough problems typing on my current Palm, so if the keyboard on the Pre is even smaller, I won’t like it.

At this point, I’m just going to see when the new iPhone gets released and then I think I’m finally going to jump ship to AT&T to get one.

Even better, in the long term, the consoles get cheap enough that you can get them all and have a huge library of used games available cheap.

There area bunch of preview videos on Xbox live right now, I checked out a few last night.

Bayonetta: Nice, reminds me of Devil May Cry. Nice graphics, fast action and ginormous bosses. What’s not to like.

Darksiders: Had never heard of that one previously; looks like another combat game (like DMC, NG or Gow). Video is pretty short, but looks interesting enough.

Prototype: In the “run around a city and fuck shit up” type games, this looks very good. Graphics seems a bit less polished than inFamous, but the gameplay looks like it might be a bit more varied. The video shows the protagonist going into tanks and choppers and using them to cause mayhem. Tentacles and Wolverine type claws are also shown at various points; not sure how they’ll fit into the gameplay.

Crackdown 2: Same type of game; looks like there’s a new monstrous threat to be dealt with. Graphics have a nice style to them; sorta lightly cell shaded. You can see that the devs are getting proficient with the various consoles; all the news games look incredibly slick.

Forza 3: Now that’s one annoying video. I wanna see some in-game footage, not cars “dancing” around the streets. For what it’s worth, the game looks good; but you can’t really judge a driving simulator from a video. Only cool part is at the end when a car crashes and flips. It’s about damn time we get real accidents in those games.

Halo stuff: Halo Reach lets on very little. Halo ODST is a new shooter in the Halo universe. Hard to tell what’s new, if anything, from the video. It looks good though.

Video games on demand: Apparently, we’ll be able to buy and download full games in the very near future. That’d be nice. Hopefully MS makes available hard drives larger than 120GB before then. Or they ship you the DVD while you play the DLded version, but I’m not counting on that. Ideally, they’d let you store your games on an external USB drive you supply. Get that cheap 2TB box on eBay and fill’er up. Yeah, I know I’m dreaming.

Crappy stuff: Premium avatar stuff. Right, I want to buy virtual clothing for a stick figure who looks like Gumby. Please MS, stop nickle-and-diming everything.

Stuff I don’t care either way about: On demand TV; 1080p download (unless the prices drop precipitously in the near future… currently way too expensive in Canada vs. renting from the store corner or torrenting it of the net.) FFXXXIXIXI or whatever… MGS:Something (unless it’s very different from the last one). Natal controller stuff - I like playing my games sitting down in my La-Z-Boy, thank you very much.

There’s a bunch of other stuff, but that’s all I remember for now.

Looks like it’s going to be a great year for gamers.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
At this point, I’m just going to see when the new iPhone gets released and then I think I’m finally going to jump ship to AT&T to get one.

[/quote]

There’s a good Vader.

Well say it ain’t so…Is it justified in feeling jaded after the abomination that was Spiderman 3.

I’m willing to give Raimi and company another shot. It was the first two Spiderman movies that got me back into comic books and comic book movies in the first place. Hopefully it’s the Lizard this time.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Well say it ain’t so…Is it justified in feeling jaded after the abomination that was Spiderman 3.[/quote]

Urgh…

A new clip from GI Joe. Cobra seems pretty badass, I really don’t like this powersuits idea!!! UGH! I know I’ll still go see this movie though.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Well say it ain’t so…Is it justified in feeling jaded after the abomination that was Spiderman 3.[/quote]

Wow, we have to only wait 2 years now LOL.

I was reading reviews for inFamous today, and downloaded the demo. I picked up a PS3 from dell.com when they had a secret sale about a month ago, it was only $299.

inFamous looks good, I’ll try to buy a used copy off someone in a month or so. I typically can’t stomach paying full price for a game though. The only games I’ve paid full price for in the last couple of year are Halo 3, Bioshock and The Orange Box. All of those I feel that I got my money’s worth.

(removed)

[quote]Gillium-001 wrote:
Sick Rick wrote:
I’m getting in on this thread before it becomes too crowded. I’m going to buy a PS3, but I’ll need alot of saving up for a good screen.

Anyone have some recommendations for a good tv that isn’t going to cost me an arm and a leg?

If you’re looking for something in the 32"-42" range, check out the Sony Bravia line. They’re pretty darn good for the price. There is always some kind of crazy sale on them (here in the US anyway, dunno about other countries).

The Sharp Aquos models are a pretty good bargain as well.[/quote]

The Vizio TVs look pretty good for the money as well.