Geek S**T 10^n^(e^(i*pi)+1)

Link to past threads:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/geek_st_generation_fourzero?id=3885421&pageNo=0

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/geek_st_nia_pleaze_9?id=5458034&pageNo=0

Been playing Starbound for the last couple days since the beta was released. It’s the kind of game you sit down and start playing, and an hour later you realize it’s been eight hours.

Cool stuff. This last month or so I’ve started playing more indie games. Fez, Super Meatboy, Anodyne, Dust: An Elysian Tale are all fantastic and I think I’ve paid maybe 30 bucks for all of them. Is Starbound worth 15 bucks? Have you ever checked out Humbebundle? They run sales every week where you get 5 or 6 games for a small donation usually around 5-7 dollars. Sometimes they have some legit titles on there.

Hurhurhurhur

anyone watching arrow? last week was the beginning of the mid season finale, we where graced by a certain crime scene investigator by the name of barry allen, there where several fanboy nods, including barry shielding himself with a magazine named science “showcase”, showcase was the comic he first appeared. also the mentioning of who killed Barry’s mother, she was killed by reverse flash but his dad was blamed. these two nods and any I missed made me quite the happy geek Wednesday night aftery shoulder workout

4K content, does anyone think it will take off the way HD did ?

I am in the hunt for a new TV, and am mulling over the idea to jump into 4K.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Cool stuff. This last month or so I’ve started playing more indie games. Fez, Super Meatboy, Anodyne, Dust: An Elysian Tale are all fantastic and I think I’ve paid maybe 30 bucks for all of them. Is Starbound worth 15 bucks? Have you ever checked out Humbebundle? They run sales every week where you get 5 or 6 games for a small donation usually around 5-7 dollars. Sometimes they have some legit titles on there.[/quote]
Indie games vary massively in scope obviously. Comparing Starbound to Super Meatboy or Fez is like comparing Solitaire to the World Series of Poker or something. The amount of content is staggering.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Hurhurhurhur[/quote]
You get that title equation brah :slight_smile:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Link to past threads:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/geek_st_generation_fourzero?id=3885421&pageNo=0

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/geek_st_nia_pleaze_9?id=5458034&pageNo=0

Been playing Starbound for the last couple days since the beta was released. It’s the kind of game you sit down and start playing, and an hour later you realize it’s been eight hours.[/quote]

After playing Terraria I heard about this game, had no idea it was released on Steam already, thats awesome!

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
anyone watching arrow? last week was the beginning of the mid season finale, we where graced by a certain crime scene investigator by the name of barry allen, there where several fanboy nods, including barry shielding himself with a magazine named science “showcase”, showcase was the comic he first appeared. also the mentioning of who killed Barry’s mother, she was killed by reverse flash but his dad was blamed. these two nods and any I missed made me quite the happy geek Wednesday night aftery shoulder workout[/quote]

Arrow is one of my favorite new shows. That and the Black List

I hate to be “that guy” but you may want to change your formula. The way you have it it is 10^n^-e. Recall that Euler’s formula states that e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x), so e^(ix+1) = ee^ix = e(cos(x) + isin(x)) and therefore e^(ipi+1) = e*(cos(pi) + isin(pi)) = -1e. I think that what you meant to do was 10^n^(e^(ipi)+1) since e^(ipi) + 1 = 0. I am assuming of course that you were looking for a formula that is identically equal to 10. If I am mistaken I apologize, but it is 3:30 in the morning here.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
I hate to be “that guy” but you may want to change your formula. The way you have it it is 10^n^-e. Recall that Euler’s formula states that e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x), so e^(ix+1) = ee^ix = e(cos(x) + isin(x)) and therefore e^(ipi+1) = e*(cos(pi) + isin(pi)) = -1e. I think that what you meant to do was 10^n^(e^(ipi)+1) since e^(ipi) + 1 = 0. I am assuming of course that you were looking for a formula that is identically equal to 10. If I am mistaken I apologize, but it is 3:30 in the morning here.[/quote]

Fixed! I was messing around with .txt trying to get a pi symbol in the forum box and didn’t notice I’d ballsed it up afterwards :frowning:

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
I hate to be “that guy” but you may want to change your formula. The way you have it it is 10^n^-e. Recall that Euler’s formula states that e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x), so e^(ix+1) = ee^ix = e(cos(x) + isin(x)) and therefore e^(ipi+1) = e*(cos(pi) + isin(pi)) = -1e. I think that what you meant to do was 10^n^(e^(ipi)+1) since e^(ipi) + 1 = 0. I am assuming of course that you were looking for a formula that is identically equal to 10. If I am mistaken I apologize, but it is 3:30 in the morning here.[/quote]

I was also going to point that out but, did not want to be that guy.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
Fixed! I was messing around with .txt trying to get a pi symbol in the forum box and didn’t notice I’d ballsed it up afterwards :([/quote]

Yeah, this site does not do well with symbols, I have tried several times and it is a real pain to type out formulas otherwise, it is why I stopped allowing students to e-mail me questions; one or both of us would misplace parentheses or some such and plus trying to represent integrals or sums just makes things more confusing.

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
Fixed! I was messing around with .txt trying to get a pi symbol in the forum box and didn’t notice I’d ballsed it up afterwards :([/quote]

Yeah, this site does not do well with symbols, I have tried several times and it is a real pain to type out formulas otherwise, it is why I stopped allowing students to e-mail me questions; one or both of us would misplace parentheses or some such and plus trying to represent integrals or sums just makes things more confusing.[/quote]
Given this site’s HTML, I’d just post a picture or a link although obviously that isn’t applicable for something that requires text input.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
anyone watching arrow? last week was the beginning of the mid season finale, we where graced by a certain crime scene investigator by the name of barry allen, there where several fanboy nods, including barry shielding himself with a magazine named science “showcase”, showcase was the comic he first appeared. also the mentioning of who killed Barry’s mother, she was killed by reverse flash but his dad was blamed. these two nods and any I missed made me quite the happy geek Wednesday night aftery shoulder workout[/quote]

Yep, happy geek here as well! It was done very well. Looking forward to the next episodes and the development of the Flash character.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I am in the hunt for a new TV, and am mulling over the idea to jump into 4K.[/quote]

I’m not sure there is enough media to play in that format so you’d be watching HD most of the time anyway. Unless you have a lot of money to waste just get a regular HD. You can get HD now and 4k in a few years for the same price as just a 4k right now because of price drops.

Went crazy on thanksgiving and got arkham origins, BF 4, COD Ghosts, splinter cell black list, dishonored game of the year, tomb raider, and the metal gear legacy collection. Cost me alittle under 200 bucks which is pretty damn sweet. Hoping to pick up the skyrim legendary edition on sale since I was at work and missed out the other week.

And yes Arrow is awesome.

I’m thinking about getting a microcomputer for my lil bro for xmas… anyone have any experience w/ these?

He loves tech, but can’t really code or anything (unless you count html or xml)… so i was thinking the mk80*, but it basically just turns your tv into a tablet w/ out the touching. The pi is just so darn cheap, though…

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I am in the hunt for a new TV, and am mulling over the idea to jump into 4K.[/quote]

I am also in the same boat with UltraHD and glasses-free sets to come out in 2014. However, there are a couple of things to consider for you. First, 4K is still crazy expensive so if budget is a concern, you’d be better off with 1080P. Second, what will you be using the TV for? If playing a lot of 3D content, 4K is great, but for gaming it won’t help for quite some time, as the next gen does not support 4K yet, even though both are capable of eventually playing it. Finally, the size of the set you want will make a huge difference, as below a size/distance threshold, you will not be able to tell the difference between 4K and 1080P. A basic frame of reference I have seen is you have to sit within the screen size to appreciate 4K (meaning if you buy a 60" TV, you need to sit 60" or closer to be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 4K). This chart flushes it out a bit more:

Either way, it is also a valid point that there is not much media out right now, and with technology improving faster than Moore’s law, a lot of people think that when media begins updating to new formats, they will simply skip 4K and go to 8K.

So excited about this, I can’t wait for this to be released, might work towards a run on Hard with no assist mechanics and no kills/alerts in the entire playthrough, lord knows it’ll take me long enough. Night-time missions look like the most rewarding ones, but daytime looks real fun too.