T Nation

Gears of War

I saw this ad last night during the game, really looks like it might deserve a deeper look. Looks kind of like a cross between RE4 and Ghost Recon, anyone know anything about it?

[quote]TheFoundation wrote:
I saw this ad last night during the game, really looks like it might deserve a deeper look. Looks kind of like a cross between RE4 and Ghost Recon, anyone know anything about it?

Its going to be hands down the best looking game ever made, and will be for a while. I’m getting it tomorrow.

What do you want to know? I know pretty much everything about it.

I have known of the game but do not know much about it. I guess do you know what the game mechanics are, does it play like GRAW (great game by the way)? I havent bought a game for my 360 in a while, last game was Oblivion, and that is still awesome. Multiplayer, is this game worth getting xbox live gold for? You will have to let me know how it plays when you pick it up, it looks amazing.

I have known of the game but do not know much about it. I guess do you know what the game mechanics are, does it play like GRAW (great game by the way)? I havent bought a game for my 360 in a while, last game was Oblivion, and that is still awesome. Multiplayer, is this game worth getting xbox live gold for? You will have to let me know how it plays when you pick it up, it looks amazing.[/quote]

Looks like it will be worth getting Gold for it. Shit you should have Gold anyway.

Its STRICTLY 3rd person. You wont be able to run and gun and have to extreme use of cover. Taking cover is a big proponent of the single player game. Multiplayer is going to be run of the mill. But looks like it will be a lot of fun. I’ll only be playing this game for 3 weeks because once R6:Vegas comes out, thats all me!

this is gonna be the best ever, im so excited. its been hyped up since before the 360 was even out. im gonna pick it up tomorrow. and ill see you guys on live.

heres some multiplayer gameplay. if you wanna see more just scroll threw the scroll list

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hbsnwHeFq-0

[quote]PGA wrote:
Looks like it will be worth getting Gold for it. Shit you should have Gold anyway.

Its STRICTLY 3rd person. You wont be able to run and gun and have to extreme use of cover. Taking cover is a big proponent of the single player game. Multiplayer is going to be run of the mill. But looks like it will be a lot of fun. I’ll only be playing this game for 3 weeks because once R6:Vegas comes out, thats all me![/quote]

Dont have gold cause I am hard pressed to find the time to play it, also I am on a college man’s budget. R6 does look awesome, R6:3 was the shit when it first came out, if I get gold live I will have to let you know. Thanks for the reply.

[quote]PGA wrote:

Its going to be hands down the best looking game ever made, and will be for a while.
[/quote]

My dear boy…you have much to learn friend. I present Crysis.
http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Images/

[quote]BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
heres some multiplayer gameplay. if you wanna see more just scroll threw the scroll list

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hbsnwHeFq-0[/quote]

Thanks for this, looks sweet.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Its STRICTLY 3rd person. You wont be able to run and gun and have to extreme use of cover. Taking cover is a big proponent of the single player game.[/quote]

Mechanics-wise, is it a bit like “Rogue Trooper?”

I’ve been playing that game lately (it was suggested to me on some other forum) and while I’m not usually a big fan of 3rd person, this one is really well done. It’s easy to take cover, to duck and you can lean out and fire. You can even “blind fire” to force the enemy into cover. It’s been a while since I played a game where controlling the player was done so fluidly.

If GOW is similar, it might be worth getting my 360 a bit earlier than planned.

Been looking forward to this game for a long time, should have it by the weekend

Dont have gold cause I am hard pressed to find the time to play it, also I am on a college man’s budget. R6 does look awesome, R6:3 was the shit when it first came out, if I get gold live I will have to let you know. Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

i thought the same thing about my 360 until i got live. all of a sudden i had more time to play. and honestly the live subscript is like 80 a year, thats not too bad on pretty much any income. as far as R6 goes, i lost faith in the franchise once i heard ubisoft shanghai is making it.

they really took a shit on my favorite franchise of all time, splinter cell, with their double agent. just a very rushed product full of bugs, and im honestly not into it enough to wait for a friggin ‘patch’. ive never been a serious enough gamer to even pay attention to what studio is making a game, but the new splinter cell really left a foul taste in my mouth. hopefully gears is free of any bullshit.

theyve had PLENTY of time as I heard about this game around the same time i heard about the 360.

Live is something that i have wanted for awhile, but i dont like how they use it all the time, all of these damn patches for games that get rushed to the shelf, I hope GoW is actually finished. I think that i will get live soon, thanks for all the replies and to everyone who picks up a copy tomorrow give me a quick review of how it is.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
PGA wrote:

Its going to be hands down the best looking game ever made, and will be for a while.

My dear boy…you have much to learn friend. I present Crysis.
http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Images/

[/quote]

That game will require ANOTHER video card upgrade to run at anything above 30fps. When Crysis actually get released, its current date will most definitely get pushed, then we’ll talk.

I think this is the game that will make me break down and buy a 360. It looks jaw dropping, and it’s definetely my style of gameplay.

anyone get this game yet? All stores in my area wont have it until tomorrow. Its getting good reviews from all the major websites (9.6-gamespot, 9.4-ign).

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
anyone get this game yet? All stores in my area wont have it until tomorrow. Its getting good reviews from all the major websites (9.6-gamespot, 9.4-ign).[/quote]

I have it in hand. At work then gym so wont be playing it til 7pm.

The game I’m excited about this week (I don’t own an Xbox 360) is this:

whats your gamertag? I plan on picking it up right after class tomorrow

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
anyone get this game yet? All stores in my area wont have it until tomorrow. Its getting good reviews from all the major websites (9.6-gamespot, 9.4-ign).[/quote]

Same here, I guess middle america just gets fucked over when it come to this. Looked over those reviews, games looks solid, definitely a T-game.