T Nation

Gear is for Cheaters

I’m sick of people shitting in other threads about how gear is either:
A) cheating
B) getting out of hand
C) ruining our sport and it’s chances of becoming part of the olympics
D) lifts the weight for you

So, all you raw nazis and weekend warriors(that don’t even know the rules of the sport), have at it. Bitch, argue, and discuss all you want right here about how awful gear is and stop ruining other threads. There is no reason to turn every powerlifting thread into a gear debate.

I’ll start. I bet Andy Bolton wouldn’t be able to deadlift more than 315 without that cheater suit. And without chalk, there’s no way it would be over 275.

i take steroids and can only lift 315

Why get offended from what random people (most of whom are keyboard athletes) are saying on internet forum? You have to expect a level of asshattery from discussion boards and if things like this upset you frequently you probably want to find another one to frequent.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Why get offended from what random people (most of whom are keyboard athletes) are saying on internet forum? You have to expect a level of asshattery from discussion boards and if things like this upset you frequently you probably want to find another one to frequent.[/quote]

It would be nice to be able to discuss big events in my sport, like world record lifts, without people hijacking to bitch about something they don’t understand.

This isn’t a matter of being offended, rather, it would be nice if we could stay on topic.

Im gonna get alotta shit for this but…

What’s the point of using gear? Why not just lift Raw and get more satisfaction from doing it yourself instead of the shirt or suit giving you those extra lbs. Ive just never seen the point.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

What’s the point of using gear? Why not just lift Raw and get more satisfaction from doing it yourself instead of the shirt or suit giving you those extra lbs. Ive just never seen the point.[/quote]

Why do golfer’s use Big Bertha?
Why do Tennis players use new lighter/better rackets?
Why do hockey players use graphite sticks?
Why do [insert sport here] use [insert new equipment]?

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I’m sick of people shitting in other threads about how gear is either:

D) lifts the weight for you
[/quote]

Umm… could I get one of those please. A link would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

I’ve never been a big fan of gear, but I’ve used single ply equipment before. But I don’t get people who get their panties in a bunch over who uses what and what gear they choose to use or not use. The things is, whatever degree of gear you are comfortable with, there is a division for you to compete in.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
dfreezy wrote:
Why get offended from what random people (most of whom are keyboard athletes) are saying on internet forum? You have to expect a level of asshattery from discussion boards and if things like this upset you frequently you probably want to find another one to frequent.

It would be nice to be able to discuss big events in my sport, like world record lifts, without people hijacking to bitch about something they don’t understand.

This isn’t a matter of being offended, rather, it would be nice if we could stay on topic.[/quote]

well that happens in pretty much all discussions here, be it PowerLifting, Olympic Weightlifting, BodyBuilding, Kettlebell stuff, etc…

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

What’s the point of using gear? Why not just lift Raw and get more satisfaction from doing it yourself instead of the shirt or suit giving you those extra lbs. Ive just never seen the point.[/quote]

Who the fuck are you to say what should give me more satisfaction? If my goal is to pick up 10,000 lbs with a forklift, that’s still none of your damn business.

Here is the $100,000,000 question though…how many of the people who bitch and moan about gear being “cheating” and “not doing it yourself” have actually worn gear? How many of those had the skill to actually use it…since, contrary to popular internet warrior belief, there’s more to it than putting on said piece of equipment and magically squatting 250-400 lbs more.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

better not Olympic lift in Oly Shoes
better not Sprint with clits
better not do the tour de france with clip ons

Same deal man. Gear is just another tool to help you push your goals further. Gear is just more obvious than all the other aids in other sports. But it doesn’t take away from the spirit of the sport. You can’t put a shitty lifter in gear and turn him into a world class lifter.

I gurantee you, the majority of the “raw” lifters who shit the bed at any accomplishment of a geared lifter, are absolutely terrible themselves. They need a scape goat to justify their own short comings.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

Originally the point was to protect your joints. Then, because it existed and could be exploited, a new competition emerged and eventually different feds set aside their own rules to level the playing field within their own fed.

I can assure you I enjoy lifting as much in the IPF as you do raw and as someone else does in a multi-ply untested fed (and on that topic, your question could just as well be asked about steroid use).

This argument is akin to a keel-boat sailor asking a skiff sailor “what is the point?” He already knows - the skiff sailor wants to go faster.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

The point is to lift heavier weight.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

What’s the point of using gear? Why not just lift Raw and get more satisfaction from doing it yourself instead of the shirt or suit giving you those extra lbs. Ive just never seen the point.

Who the fuck are you to say what should give me more satisfaction? If my goal is to pick up 10,000 lbs with a forklift, that’s still none of your damn business.

Here is the $100,000,000 question though…how many of the people who bitch and moan about gear being “cheating” and “not doing it yourself” have actually worn gear? How many of those had the skill to actually use it…since, contrary to popular internet warrior belief, there’s more to it than putting on said piece of equipment and magically squatting 250-400 lbs more.[/quote]

Thank you for an appropriate response to my question.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Here is the $100,000,000 question though…how many of the people who bitch and moan about gear being “cheating” and “not doing it yourself” have actually worn gear? How many of those had the skill to actually use it…since, contrary to popular internet warrior belief, there’s more to it than putting on said piece of equipment and magically squatting 250-400 lbs more.[/quote]

And who is bitching here? You’re bitching about people not staying on topic, and you’re not even answering his question. You’ve got to do better than that.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

[/quote]

And the similarity is what?
To play tennis you NEED a racket, to squat you need yourself, a barbell and plates, you don’t need a suit.
So no, it’s not the same thing.

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

To play tennis you NEED a racket, to squat you need yourself, a barbell and plates, you don’t need a suit.
[/quote]

I still don’t think there’s a fed that allows you to squat naked. So yes, you need a suit :slight_smile: How tight and strong it can be, depends on the rules of the fed.

Life would be simpler if there was no gear. Just show up and lift. I’ve worn gear because i wanted to be competitive against other people wearing gear. Nobody who wears gear is competing in raw feds, nobody is pretending that these are raw lifts. It makes sense to wear the same gear as everybody else.

[quote]tmcg86 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

I still don’t think there’s a fed that allows you to squat naked. So yes, you need a suit :slight_smile: How tight and strong it can be, depends on the rules of the fed.

Life would be simpler if there was no gear. Just show up and lift. I’ve worn gear because i wanted to be competitive against other people wearing gear. Nobody who wears gear is competing in raw feds, nobody is pretending that these are raw lifts. It makes sense to wear the same gear as everybody else. [/quote]

Yes, but as you say, people wear gear because other people wear gear, not because they really want to wear gear.
If there was no gear, it would be alot simpler.
I’m not saying, there should be no gear, so don’t whine, all you gear users, I use gear myself, but I would prefer doing it raw.

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

[/quote]

Fine, what about sprinters and shoes? You don’t need shoes to sprint, yet there are special shoes just for sprinting.

Why use pads or helmets for football? They’re not necessary to play the game?

Why do baseball players wear gloves? You don’t need a glove to catch a ball. What’s the point?

Is it necessary for Olympic lifters to wear Olympic shoes? I don’t think so. I’ve weightlifted in my New Balance’s before.

I’ve armwrestled on my kitchen table for years; why do armwreslters need a special table?

Why use a chessboard for chess? Alexander Alekhine can play just fine without one.

Do skateboarders need pads and helmets? The kids down my block never use them?

I lifted weights for years before ever touching chalk. I guess that’s not necessary either.

If we looked hard enough, we could find several things not needed for any particular sport.

Haha, much simpler if there was no gear.

I think these days bombing in the bench press is fairly common. And i lift single ply… I nearly bombed on the weekend doing a light opener which i didn’t do cleanly the first time and then put too low on my chest. All that for 10kg :stuck_out_tongue:

And i do get annoyed when i go to explain to the general public about how i went in a powerlifting meet. i say my lifts then have to explain what a squat suit and a bench press shirt is and how much ‘i get out of it’ even though its not the same thing as a raw lift, so by the general public you’re judged by your raw lifts anyway.

I sometimes would prefer lifting raw, but there’s something about the heavy walkouts,the bruises, and the panic in the last minute when you’ve dropped a knee wrap and you need to tie a competition wrap faster than you ever have before. Other powerlifters get it. I wouldn’t have it any other way.