GBC Question

Hi, everyone i just started GBC training and have a few questions.

How is it possible to do 6rm, rest 10s then do 12rm, rest 10s, then do a 25 rm, then rest 2 mins the do it all againe if your were ment to have an “eye-ball popping out” when you finish your set. Even after 2 mins rest i’m not even able to complete the 6 rm againe, nevermind the 12 and 25rm.

Should i lower the weight set by set or should i just start of with a lower weight so that after the first set i’m not totally screwed.

Also is it common for HUGE weight reductions when going from 6rm to 12 rm to 25 rm. For the chest exercises (incline db to incline bb to incline bb) i go from 50kg to 25 kg to 12 kg and still have trouble completing the 25 reps… :frowning: Maybe this cause i’ve mostly been doing low rep work (10 x 3) and my muscles arent use to this higher rep ranges?

Also anyone got any good suggestions on any exercises to replace leg curl and leg extensions and hyperextensions? All i got is a bench, high pully, barbells & dumbells. I was thinking good mornings for hyperextensions but have no idea what to do for leg curl and leg extensions

no one?

At the moment what is happening (while i’m keeping the weight the same for all sets) is i’m finding the first set easy (relatively), second set is hard and thirds set is near impossible (i have to rest in the lockout position every now and then for the reps of 12 and 25)

Also during the workouts i dont feel like i’m working hard and sweating as much (no where near as hard as when i did meltdown or 10x3 for fat loss) but my muscles burn alot more. I am not able to increase the intensity because my muscles arent physically able to do the work. I feel like my heart and lungs can take more work but my muscles cant.

This is pretty unusualy cause i’m not the fittess of guy around. Is GBC just a different type of training?

Also after workouts my muscles get very very sore, particularly my arms and legs and they are still sore when i do my next workout. I thought this was bad and results in catabolism?

any help would be much appreciated

I couldn’t imagine any of the programs you’ve mentioned being recommended for a beginner. If your 6RM on incline bench is only 110 lbs, you need to focus on building strength WAY more than you need a fat-loss program like GBC, Meltdown, or 10x3 for fat loss.

I assume you’re overweight and trying to get rid of your excess fat, but let your diet and cardio take care of that. Use the weight room for building strength, because you are severely lacking in that department.

That’s kind of unfair, Oneeye. He didn’t tell us any stats. For all we know he is a 12 year old weighing close to 90 pounds and just peaking over 5’ tall.

You get the picture.

If you aren’t going to enjoy, finish, repeat your regularly schedueled workout…find one you will.

[quote]Veinshatter wrote:
That’s kind of unfair, Oneeye. He didn’t tell us any stats. For all we know he is a 12 year old weighing close to 90 pounds and just peaking over 5’ tall.

You get the picture.

If you aren’t going to enjoy, finish, repeat your regularly schedueled workout…find one you will.

[/quote]

Well according to his profile he’s 173cm, which comes out to about 5’8" tall. He mentioned 3 fat-loss programs, so I assume he’s overweight (or at least thinks he is). Sure, more info would help, but I don’t think my recommendations would change much, if at all. He’s weak. He needs to address that first and foremost.

Right on, I guess I should have looked at his profile before replying. Still new to posting and all the odds and ends.

Ok, thanks for the replys guys.

With respect to the 110 lb incline bench it isnt me true 6RM, as i said before if i went my true RM i wouldnt be able to complete 6 for my second set and for my third set i woudlnt last, also i’m using dumbells which i’m not use to when benching.

Also for some reason my incline bench is very weak, my PB for flat bench is 115kg (about 260lb) which is not the best but respectable for a 16 year old. BTW thats raw, lol.

Anyways with respect to my weight i’m not very overweight but i do what to lose some fat. I estimate i’m in the high teens and i want to drop down to low teens (started dieting at 180 lb) and have a visible 6-pack.

Now i know this is probably gonna get me flamed and people are going to say bulk on and you are small, 6-packs are for pussys etc. etc., but summer is coming and i want a 6-pack. I’m only 16 and have the rest of my life to get to 100kg so i dont see whats the big rush and why i cant waste a few months dieting down and being lean.

Also you dont have to be 225 lb to impress 16 year old girls, 170, even 160 lb, in fact nearly any weight will do as long as you have the godly 6-pack at my age.

Anyway with regards to GBC i think i’m going to stop after one more week, i’ve read alot more on this site and get the feeling that the induced growth hormone from this training is insignificant, and when dieting your training should be heavy to keep muscle.

Maybe i’ll go back to 10x3 for fat loss. Is there any other good fat loss programs like that? I’ve done a quick search on the site and most of the diet programs are similar to GBC (e.g fat to fire, meltdown, etc.)

I’ve tried the 3x6/12/25 thing before. I used it based on advice from a trainer at my gym, so I don’t know what you’re referring to as GBC. Also, I stopped it after a few weeks because it was boring and because I didn’t know what I was trying to get out of it anyway. Always a bad sign. I didn’t get much out of it either, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Here is my experience with it. You’ll definitely have to use much less weight than usual if you want to keep the same weight for each of the groups of 6/12/25. Also, there will be a big drop in weight from sets of 6 to sets of 12 and 25. This is only natural, since a weight that is useful for 6 reps will be impossible for 25 reps, so you’ll have to adjust accordingly. I’m less sure about whether you’re supposed to keep the same weight from one group of 6/12/25 to another.

For example, my 1RM deadlift then was about 405lbs. I did 6@315, 12 split squats with 30lb dumbbells, then 25 pull throughs with very little weight (20 or 30…can’t quite remember). This allowed me to complete the second and third 6/12/25 groupings with the same weight.

For leg curls and leg extensions, I’m assuming you want to build upper-leg mass. How much do you squat and deadlift? You can do both of those exercises using only the equipment you have.

Finally, I also find your 110lb incline bench rather weak compared to your 260lb flat bench. My max bench is not much more than yours, but I can rep 110lb incline benches well past the point of boredom.

[quote]blooey wrote:
I’ve tried the 3x6/12/25 thing before. I used it based on advice from a trainer at my gym, so I don’t know what you’re referring to as GBC. Also, I stopped it after a few weeks because it was boring and because I didn’t know what I was trying to get out of it anyway. Always a bad sign. I didn’t get much out of it either, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Here is my experience with it. You’ll definitely have to use much less weight than usual if you want to keep the same weight for each of the groups of 6/12/25. Also, there will be a big drop in weight from sets of 6 to sets of 12 and 25. This is only natural, since a weight that is useful for 6 reps will be impossible for 25 reps, so you’ll have to adjust accordingly. I’m less sure about whether you’re supposed to keep the same weight from one group of 6/12/25 to another.

For example, my 1RM deadlift then was about 405lbs. I did 6@315, 12 split squats with 30lb dumbbells, then 25 pull throughs with very little weight (20 or 30…can’t quite remember). This allowed me to complete the second and third 6/12/25 groupings with the same weight.

For leg curls and leg extensions, I’m assuming you want to build upper-leg mass. How much do you squat and deadlift? You can do both of those exercises using only the equipment you have.

Finally, I also find your 110lb incline bench rather weak compared to your 260lb flat bench. My max bench is not much more than yours, but I can rep 110lb incline benches well past the point of boredom.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply blooey. GBC refers to german body composition program written by Charles Poliquin and located here on this site:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-131-training

I am already doing squats in the leg workout so maybe hacksquats will be able to supplement leg extensions. I thought about using deadlifts for leg curls but it seemed to much deadlifting, because in that set i would be doing deadlifts, followed by romanian deadlifts, followed by dimel deadlifts.

Also i dont know why my incline bench is so weak, although i have hardly worked on it (last time i did it was probs nearly a year ago) i was surprised to find it so much more weaker than my flat bench.