Gatorade For Spiking Insulin?

I use Powerade(Mainly Maltodextrin), low fat chocolate milk and protein powder for my PWO.

Each of my PWO meals is about R24, which is almost double the price of a Surge serving.

I think people think Surge is expensive because they don’t weigh up servings vs cost.

Maybe Biotest should package it in 1 serving sachets, which are relative to the price of Surge, and people could just pick however many that want - putting into perspective that it’s not expensive at all.

here is a good and inexpensive place to get malto/dex. if you get a couple of friends together you can buy it in big ol bags.

5lbs of each malto and dex will last quite a while. of course ther are no bcaas and you have to add your own protein.

ive used optimum (i know some think its shit compared to Biotest but its always worked great for me) and malto/dex mix.

half a protein scoop each of malt/dex is about 80-100gms carbs depending on the size of the scoop.

5lbs each is about 15 bucks. it lasted me around 2 1/2 months, with 3-4 shakes a week.

http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=4129&txtsearchParamCat=1&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

I use one serving of gatorade for the taste and electrolytes along with 50 grams of Dextrose PWO.

Add in 30 grams or so of protein and some creatine if you can and you are all set.

the protein powder doesn’t taste bad with the gatorade?I always thought it would taste kinda weird. [quote]samsmarts wrote:
I use one serving of gatorade for the taste and electrolytes along with 50 grams of Dextrose PWO.

Add in 30 grams or so of protein and some creatine if you can and you are all set.[/quote]

Skim milk+honey

Sorry to totally hijack this thread even further, but I use a malto/dextrose/predigested whey post workout drink, WITHOUT bcaas… just wondering if anyone can convince me one way or the other as to whether its really that important to get the bcaa’s… I can afford the bcaa’s if I really want em. But you know how it is… bcaa’s or more money into the home loan… hmm…

I can’t say I feel like my recovery is that much better now than when I was just eating a huge bag of snakes post workout. MMmmm snakes…

I’m confused. I just have one scoop of 100% ON whey protein, milk, and usually eat a banana. Then one hour after my workout I have another protein shake (milk, scoop of protein). Is there something I’m missing?..(Maltodextrin?)…Also I know what BCAA’s are…are these useful to incorporate into post workout shake and stuff?

dl-

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
the protein powder doesn’t taste bad with the gatorade?I always thought it would taste kinda weird. samsmarts wrote:

Add in 30 grams or so of protein and some creatine if you can and you are all set.

[/quote]

Nope, use vanilla or strawberry protein and you are in for a good cocktail when mixed with Orange or Fruit punch Gatorade. Using Choclate protein isnt a good idea though :slight_smile:

[quote]dl- wrote:
I’m confused. I just have one scoop of 100% ON whey protein, milk, and usually eat a banana. Then one hour after my workout I have another protein shake (milk, scoop of protein). Is there something I’m missing?..(Maltodextrin?)…Also I know what BCAA’s are…are these useful to incorporate into post workout shake and stuff?

dl-[/quote]

Here is what you are missing in your PWO shakes : CARBS.

Ditch the milk and even the banana(from the immediate PWO shake) and use Dextrose of Malto. Anywhere from 60 to a 100 grams of carbs.

In your second meal do what you were doing PWO before, i.e whey, milk and Banana. But use two bananas, one isnt enough for carbs. Plus bananas have many other health benefits (such as hyrdation, minerals, etc)so consuming an extra would only be a good thing, unless you are on a low carb diet of sorts.

Also if you are in the states(unlike me) Surge is a very well priced hassle free option you should consider.

Why such a stress on a moderately large amount of carbs? I only use 33g of carbs in the form of gatorade + 30g of whey protein and then usually a fruit or something. Guess I need more carbs.

[quote]naughtybox wrote:
I would use Surge but it’s too pricey for everything else I’m buying.
[/quote]

This is only a suggestion based on my own recent experience, so take it or leave it, but if the [quote]“everything else I’m buying”[/quote] pertains to supplements, I would sit down and give some serious thought to your shopping list.
I used to buy all the separate components and mix my own PWO drink. I became aware of Surge about a year and a half in to my training, but I was too busy at that time thinking I had taught myself enough that I was doing just fine on my own. Then I read Berardi’s two-article series, “Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle”, and banged my head on my desk for the next four days until payday came.
Surge is everything you need PWO; already formulated, very precisely; no guesswork needed. Instead of futzing around with things that might work just as well, I would try to make room on your list to include the Surge.
I am very far from being financially well-off, and your priorities may be different than my own (so maybe my experiences don’t fit your reality), but I sat down with my own supplement list, took a hard look, and was able to knock a couple of things off that I didn’t really need, and made some other minor [money-saving] adjustments (source, basically), and I now have a rock-solid list with Surge being right at the top. Actually, I’m spending less now than I was just a few months ago, and I’m getting better quality for what I am spending.

But, like I said, only a suggestion.

gatorade definately has Glucose-fructose syrup in it. so its a crap source of carbs in general. use maltodextrin, sucrose or fat free ambrosia rice pudding like i do. its basically a mix of starch and sugar. fast to break down. and only 25cents a can.

I also use gatorade powder for PWO’s. But there are several other types of sport drink mixes to choose from. My wife bought one for me called “Refresh”. First three ingredients are dextrose, fructose, maltodextrine. Price was more expensive than Gatorade, and the flavor was not as intense, so it does not hide the natural whey protein flavour as well.

Once I get close to the end of my current stash of protein/gatorade I am going to give Surge a try, though.

I’ve been reading some of Dr. Berardi’s articles, and I too recall seeing something about a quick PWO shake being chocolate milk. What specifically makes it a good choice?

Thanks,

~V

Does anyone elses’ malto seem to clump up and make goey chunks when they try to make a PWO shake?

[quote]Rykker wrote:
This is only a suggestion based on my own recent experience, so take it or leave it, but if the “everything else I’m buying” pertains to supplements, I would sit down and give some serious thought to your shopping list.
I used to buy all the separate components and mix my own PWO drink. I became aware of Surge about a year and a half in to my training, but I was too busy at that time thinking I had taught myself enough that I was doing just fine on my own. Then I read Berardi’s two-article series, “Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle”, and banged my head on my desk for the next four days until payday came.
Surge is everything you need PWO; already formulated, very precisely; no guesswork needed. Instead of futzing around with things that might work just as well, I would try to make room on your list to include the Surge.
I am very far from being financially well-off, and your priorities may be different than my own (so maybe my experiences don’t fit your reality), but I sat down with my own supplement list, took a hard look, and was able to knock a couple of things off that I didn’t really need, and made some other minor [money-saving] adjustments (source, basically), and I now have a rock-solid list with Surge being right at the top. Actually, I’m spending less now than I was just a few months ago, and I’m getting better quality for what I am spending.

But, like I said, only a suggestion.
[/quote]

Everything else I’m buying pertains to food, gas, protien powder and I just started cycling Methoxy-7 and will be coming off of it and onto HOT-ROX next month. Spike is very important because I’m doing AM and PM workouts (BB Next Frontier in Phase 5). I’m pretty much through with finding a good PWO shake and I’ve decided to bite the bullet and go back to buying it.

Thanks for all the help

Damn, your right. Gatorade isn’t saving me any money comapared to Surge. As soon as I am finished with this batch, I am also switching to Surge!

[quote]RK wrote:
I get 3 lbs 3oz of gatorade powder at walmart for 8 dollars. This makes about 6 gallons. Also does not contain HFCS like the liquid.[quote]

Liquid “Gatorade” doesn’t have HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!

“Powerade” does.

http://www.karinya.com/sportsdrinks.htm

-halflife

[quote]v10hanz wrote:
I’ve been reading some of Dr. Berardi’s articles, and I too recall seeing something about a quick PWO shake being chocolate milk. What specifically makes it a good choice?

Thanks,

~V[/quote]

Availability, flavor, and the fact that it contains protein.

It’s great for kids and the general population (after physical activity, of course).

I am also a relatively poor college student. On a very small budget. But one thing I do make room for is Surge. You learn to shop smarter, like Costco or BJ’s to get cheaper food. If you really want a better quality product there are ways to skirt out the extra money.

You can order pounds of oatmeal and dried foods from online suppliers and freeze it, among other things.

Really, when it comes down to it its worth the quality to get it.

I use gatorade as well, but for electrolyte balance. That being on the side of race prep or mid-race fueling. When it comes to recovery, Surge is the best.