T Nation

Gas vs Electric Range Input

Here I sit, supporting one of the big bank's annual board meeting at 732am, bored out of my fucking tree...expect a number of threads from me today.

My lovely wife to be and I moved into our house this past week and it's become apparent that the range (though it is NOT the one that was there when we did the walk-through, although regrettably I have no photographic evidence to back up this claim) needs replacement.

So, I am looking for (a) feedback on the gas vs electric range scenario, and (b) solid options for both. I would love to go drop 6k on a Viking, but I don't think that's fiscally feasible.

Lay it on me, testosterone brethren (is brethren gender-specific?).

I fucking hate electric, takes forwver to change temperature and forever to get up to whatever heat you want.

Gas is cheaper here aswell

After a hurricane I could always cook(I also have a gas water heater so I never run out of hot water). Easier to control heat on stovetop and I've never had a problem with oven temps. I love using a wok and electric just doesn't cut it. As long as you have sealed burners clean up is easy.
There are also dual fuel(gas and electric) ranges

Here is a good site with reviews, prices, functionality, brands.

Serious cooks use gas. Even if you are not serious now, down the road you or wifey may.

Gas. I used one for years and hated going back to electric. All you have to do is look at the height of the flame on the stove top to know how hot it is. The heat is instant with no warm up times.

I dont think you'll see even one decent argument for electric.

I would concur, gas is the best! Only caveat being, if you do not have an existing gas line, you will have to have one installed. Last time I did so, it was about $200. Has to be done by a licensed plumber. Of course if you have an existing gas range, the gas line will have to be capped by a licensed plumber.

The one downside to gas stove is it is harder to clean the burners than a smooth top electric range. Make sure you pay the extra and get a self-cleaning gas range. They do make them! Not the cheapest feature but SO handy.

Gas. You don't need to spend $5K on a Viking to get a good gas stove. I found a great restaurant quality stove in the discount section of an electric supply house. It was half the price of a Viking. Something to keep in mind, though, is if you have a stove in your kitchen capable of putting out massive BTUs, you need a range hood and a vent capable of moving those BTUs out of the kitchen. The hood and venting may cost you just as much as the stove.

I believe the gas stove with electric oven is the way to go. That's what (good) cooks tell me.

This year I moved into my first house with a gas range.

I would never use an electric range again.

Unanimous! Is that a first on a T-Nation thread?

It is dangerous to use a commercial range at home (if that is what you are doing). It is unfortunate, since used commercial ranges can be had much cheaper.

Had an electric range at the appartment i use to live at and it took way too long to get hot. Gas ftw!

We have an electric range only because we would have to change the layout of our kitchen to get a gas range.

I've only used a gas range once, at my grandmother's house, but once I figured out how to use it, it was a joy. I liked her 40 year old gas range much better than my modern electric range.

If I needed to replace my existing range, and had the budget, I would seriously consider an induction unit. Yes, it's powered by electricity, but the heat is developed in the cooking pot material by magnetic induction. They have been proven for many years in professional kitchens and have many advantages over gas. Safe, clean, energy efficient and ultra fast.

Here's a good intro:

a recent article in the Toronto Star:

and one model to consider, from Kenmore:

Or if you're thinking about kitchen renos, then consider an induction cooktop and a separate convection oven. Check out Tasco Appliances in Mississauga or Toronto.

Good point. There is a big difference between "restaurant quality" and a commercial range. As the link notes, one of the big differences is that commercial ranges are typically not insulated for zero clearance.