Gas Prices: WTF!

Gas has jumped from 3.55 to 4.20 around my state. Probably higher. WHY GOD?! Why can’t you attack the French. They deserve it.

Yes it’s fucking ridiculous! It’s happening everywhere. Just for comparison:

We pay around $1.50 a litre here in Australian dollars. That’s $5.69 AUD a gallon. So at current exchange rates, Australians are paying $4.69 USD a gallon.

I remember when I was in England recently it’s almost double Aussie prices.

Pfft you guys have it easy. A gallon here’s $6.79 (converted from Euro’s).

It got up as high as $6.90 when oil went above $140 a barrel. As soon as that happened the prices SHOT up (even tho the garages woulda been using their older cheaper supplies still). And now that it’s down around $100 per barrel the price has barely dropped at all.

The excuse?? They’re using up their high priced supplies.

The real reason?? Profit maximisation.

The shower of cunts.

The world of business…why charge less when consumers will pay more?

Its all about the profit baby

It shot up a buck here b/c of the Hurricane that hasnt even made land fall yet…IN TEXAS!! Gas prices are so much BS. We dont pay based on what it is worth we pay what they think it will be worth.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
It shot up a buck here b/c of the Hurican that hasnt even made land fall yet…IN TEXAS!! Gas prices are so much BS. We dont pay based on what it is worth we pay what they think it will be worth.[/quote]

Word. I think it’s so stupid. WTF has a hurricane got to do with the price of fuel? A butterfly could fart in the Pacific Ocean and they could still find some way to justify a price rise based on that!

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Gas prices are so much BS. We dont pay based on what it is worth we pay what they think it will be worth.[/quote]

Ain’t that the way it works in a capitalistic society?

Man… eventually one day u guys will have to use… DUM DUM DUM!!! public transport!. Or god forbid a bicycle.

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
Man… eventually one day u guys will have to use… DUM DUM DUM!!! public transport!. Or god forbid a bicycle. [/quote]

I don’t drive

btw. Here, the gov pays for most of the oil.

Check it out “brunei”. We got the most cars per person (every family has got like atleast 3… rich ones… have to park their cars all over the place).

OH btw. our bottled water is more expensive than our fuel.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Word. I think it’s so stupid. WTF has a hurricane got to do with the price of fuel? A butterfly could fart in the Pacific Ocean and they could still find some way to justify a price rise based on that![/quote]

25% of the US domestic production has been shut down in anticipation of Hurricane Ike.

For the idiots down under who haven’t a fucking clue about much of anything - most of the oil refineries in the US are located right where Ike is headed. They have called for a mandatory evacuation of the area.

So if there is no one there to make the gasoline, and there are still 300 million people using gasoline - what do you think is going to happen to the price?

Seriously, dude - the head was intended to be used for more more than a hat rack.

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
Man… eventually one day u guys will have to use… DUM DUM DUM!!! public transport!. Or god forbid a bicycle. [/quote]

I cycle so I could give 2 shits about the gas prices…for now.

But if you live in a small town and need to drive 50 miles to get any major shopping done, how to you expect to do it on a bicycle or on a bus?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Word. I think it’s so stupid. WTF has a hurricane got to do with the price of fuel? A butterfly could fart in the Pacific Ocean and they could still find some way to justify a price rise based on that!

25% of the US domestic production has been shut down in anticipation of Hurricane Ike.

For the idiots down under who haven’t a fucking clue about much of anything - most of the oil refineries in the US are located right where Ike is headed. They have called for a mandatory evacuation of the area.

So if there is no one there to make the gasoline, and there are still 300 million people using gasoline - what do you think is going to happen to the price?

Seriously, dude - the head was intended to be used for more more than a hat rack.
[/quote]

I think a lot of people underestimate how important Texas is. No one is out there bringing in more oil from off shore oil rigs until this storm passes.

I know a few people who work those rigs and they were called back last week.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Gas prices are so much BS. We dont pay based on what it is worth we pay what they think it will be worth.

Ain’t that the way it works in a capitalistic society?[/quote]

Supposed to.

wow, I thought this was an old thread. I noticed gas was 3.50 yesterday. Hmmm, guess I’ll fill up before it goes way up

In new york it acually is starting to go down but after the huricane it will prob go up again

I agree with Rainjack and Professor X, that the impact of a hurricane in the area where a large portion of oil would come from would impact prices. What I find ironic is here in Los Angeles, the prices have dropped consistently for the past 6-7 weeks. I am not complaining and cannot even think of a reason as to why it is happening.

Still though, we were at $4.85 a gallon at one point so there was plenty of room for the price to come down. We are sitting at $3.75 a gallon now, but still needs to come down more.

The price is about $4.96/gallon up here. In the past 6 months, I went from this:

To this.

My bank account is thanking me, lol. Although now I don’t get to drive around in a sweet truck. Maybe I can score with the “environmentalist” chicks now.