T Nation

Gas and Generaly Feeling Crappy

I don’t seem to be able to handle protein very well. If I eat 1g per pound of protein I get bloated and really gassy. I’ve been to a gastrologist and she tested me for gluten sensitivity and told me to stop drinking whey. No sensitivity and no more whey but I’m still feeling like crap. She really hasnt helped. I’m on probiotics and eat the same clean foods every day. Anyone have any idea what I can do to improve my situation. I’m certain its the protein but its hard to get enough calories without a lot of protein. My current macros on training days are fat 102g, carbs 314g, protein 174g, if that helps.

even though you are eating “clean”, there could still be something in your diet messing with you.

I’ll give you an example: beans and lentils are considered “clean”, but if I eat even a small amount of either I’m a diarrheic atom bomb a few hours later.

I went through pretty much the same thing you’re going through. I took a very long look at my diet and I’m finally at the stage now where everything is working perfectly. I understand how frustrating it is, but hopefully this thread will give you some ideas:

I suggest reading it in its entirety, and I’ll try and help as best I can. I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to gut health these days.

Yogi is spot on- even if everything you’re eating is clean, there might be something in your diet which your body handles poorly. For Yogi, it’s lentils. For me, it’s oatmeal. Yogi linked a really great thread to read through, so you should start there. I would then take a close look at what you’re eating and maybe consider an elimination style diet for a little bit. You can limit the types of foods you eat to a select few (1 major carb source, 1 major protein source, 1 major fat source) and see how you feel with each combination til you feel better/figure out what the problematic foods are.

can you give us a breakdown of what you eat in a typical day?

bad quality meats will give me some gnarly farts.

I had the exact same problem, for me I eliminated some of the foods that I ate every day, for me that was sweet potatoes, oats and bread. I also gave us coffee, the change was instant and I had no more stomach upset.

The weird thing is I’ve eaten all these foods since without any coffee and been fine too, I’ve also had coffee on a day that I’ve eaten none of these foods and been fine also

if I have oats and coffee it’s gonna be bad times!

do you drink coffee daily?

Thanks to all the advice. I’ve lowered my protein to ~160 grams which seems to help. Here’s the foods I eat. It stays the same so elimination should be easy.

No. I’m very caffeine sensitive. Can’t even drink a soda or else I’ll be up all night.

Oats, beans and flax are all pretty common triggers. Seeing as though you say you eat the same everyday, finding alternatives and testing it out should be pretty easy. Could possibly get more veg in too.

Adding in digestive enzymes with every meal could also help. I also try to avoid cold drinks around meal time.

[quote]kd13 wrote:
Oats, beans and flax are all pretty common triggers. Seeing as though you say you eat the same everyday, finding alternatives and testing it out should be pretty easy. Could possibly get more veg in too.

Adding in digestive enzymes with every meal could also help. I also try to avoid cold drinks around meal time.

[/quote]

x2: Eat your greens +digestive enzyme supp FTW

Hey brother, i have a similar kind o f situation and i will tell you what i did and how it basically changed my life (not even being dramatic).

So ever since i was about 16 (about 8 years ago) I developed terrible stomach and heart burn like pains. Being young and not really knowing what was going on, i went about ignoring it, eating shitty foods making it worse, choked down tums and zantac, and nothing really helped. Even when i started clean eating,

Anyway a few months ago after literally dealing with this for years and even doctors not helping, i began to research natural ways to cure damaged organs and stomach lining and helping aid in getting everything back to normal.

So 1, i started weeding out the foods that i would react to. Like the guys above said it was kind of unique to them, mine was most starchy carbs, and some obvious things like spicy foods, alcohol, etc. The next step i took was starting to incorporate fermented vegetables and fruit juices into my diet and rotate them around, and within weeks my problems started to fade. When i say i couldnt sleep on my side from pain i mean it and now it doesn’t bother me in the least.

So basically a long winded way to explain that what i did worked for me, cause its kind of odd. Started drinking apple cider vinegar, 1-2 table spoons in a glass of water before breakfast and before dinner or post work out. Next thing in make a batch of fermented cabbage juice. It does not taste good, but its easy to make. Drink a jar over the course of a few days, for two weeks. take the apple cider vinegar down to once a day, and then every other day, and slowly fade it out. I alos strongly recommend uping green tea, yogurt, and if possible find a place that sells Kombucha which is a fermented green tea drink. My friend makes his own so i get it from there but i know places sell it. This worked for me and i bet it would help you. Sorry for the super long response lol

If you drop your protein intake to under 100g does your stomach issue disappear?

That would be a good test to see if it is in fact the protein

Edit: I think for some consistent overeating (bulking) leads to gastrointestinal distress

If it is the protein, perhaps a little betaine HCL would be helpful to increase the stomach acid needed to digest it. It’s funny how certain types of indigestion and reflux actually indicate too little stomach acid, not too much. If reflux feels like some food is coming up with it, then a guy is not digesting the food, so some betaine can help. Poliquin was big on betaine.

Something else that helped me a lot was berberine. It counteracts zonulin, the signaling protein in the intestine that makes your gut extra sensitive. Usually that’s tied to gluten sensitivity, but it might occur with other foods too.

I’ve had gerd problems ever since I can remember. I’ve been drinking apple cider vineger for the past two days and its helped. I’ll deff try out the betain! Thanks man!

If I go around my bodyweight in protein, I fart less. I’m coming to realize that it may be food combinations that’s the trigger. I’m gonna mess around with some things and see how it goes.

I found a huge thread on gut health that has given me a lot of good info. Here it is if any one is interested. Gut Health! Sort of a Log

I am actually not surprised that you are experiencing gas and bloating. Perhaps it can be something else, but I have come across a few people, and my self included, who have drastically lowered their protein intake and feel far, far better! I am now taking in, on average a third of the protein I used to consume and feel so much better. Considering I’ve turned vegan (and don’t push this on anyone), there is no animal protein, and that sort of protein in excess makes us gassy, smelly, bloated, and constipated. I don’t want to sound gross, but when I was a huge protein eater, I’d be sometimes constipated for two days in a row. I never experience that now.

Please see Jason Ferrugia’s (previous author on this site) and Brad Pilon’s (another fitness writer) input on this excessive protein intake issue. And I can’t recommend highly enough to get the book Proteinaholic by Dr. Garth Davis. Ferrugia said he lost fat while keeping his cals the same and lowering his protein to 70 to 100 grams per day. He also said he “stopped pissing and farting” and that his sleep improved.

I no longer believe dietary protein is the magic muscle builder that I used to and which is so greatly pushed as “the most important macronutrient for weight loss” (exact words from a writer on this site on his personal blog).

There are actually fruitarians (fruits, nuts, seeds, veggies) competing at an elite level in endurance sports who show no physical symptoms or lab values indicating protein deficiency. Our bodies are extremely efficient in synthesizing and recycling amino acids.