T Nation

Gas and Allergies

All of a sudden I have noticed that I get gas after my daily meal of salmon. Does this mean I have developed an intolerance for it? I eat it every day - I love it so much!

Very possible. I used to eat about a dozen eggs over the course of a day until I started to get some similar side effect. I took a couple weeks off of it and now I eat less of them but don’t have the ill effects I did previously. I would say replace the salmon with something else for at least a week or two and slowly add a little back in to see how it goes. I know it’s hard. Salmon is pretty yummy!

PeterD

It could possibly be, could also be something you might be adding to the dish. If you have other “daily meals” that are consistent, it might be one of those meals that is finally getting further along down the GI tract.

You sure it’s the salmon? High protein diets in general are known to give everyone gas… Sucks when you’re a corporate slave that works in an office, haha.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
You sure it’s the salmon? High protein diets in general are known to give everyone gas… Sucks when you’re a corporate slave that works in an office, haha.[/quote]

Not as much as it sucks for the people around you.

Sarah,

I think this food allergy thing is getting way over blown. Gas has more to do with the type of bacteria that live in your gut than the food you eat. Didn’t you just have a bad case of the stomach flu? That can change the make up of your intestinal flora radically.

If a particular food is giving you bad gas it would probably help to lay off of it for a while, but you should also try drinking some Kefir or taking acidophilus supplements and generally looking after the health of your digestive tract.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I’ll try skipping salmon for a few days and see if it improves - you may be right that it’s just my diet in general. I don’t think I’m going to stop eating eggs completely either - maybe try to eat less of and not overdo it, but my goodness…it seems the number of foods I can eat is rapidly dwindling!!