T Nation

Gary Johnson

There are some really strong opinions on this board. I am curious at your takes on Gary Johnson. I am first curious if anyone, before a Google search, knows anything about this guy. I just found out about him. No opinion one way or the other, just curious on how he fits in the “left” and “right” debate.

Do you guys when you vote, vote for the “best” for the country, or based on who is closer to your own beliefs?

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
There are some really strong opinions on this board. I am curious at your takes on Gary Johnson. I am first curious if anyone, before a Google search, knows anything about this guy. I just found out about him. No opinion one way or the other, just curious on how he fits in the “left” and “right” debate.

Do you guys when you vote, vote for the “best” for the country, or based on who is closer to your own beliefs?[/quote]

Johnson’s OK. He was my governor. I met him skiing. He reeked of pot getting off the lift, which is pretty funny for a governor.

He balanced the budget, etc, which is a challenge in my state (NM).

Basically a pro-abortion, pro-pot, fiscally-conservstive Republican.

Now just a potentially apostate minute here Skippy. I thought you were not supposed to participate in this “system of things”. I’m gonna tell your Elders and overseers on you. Then you’ll be sorry. Don’t worry though. When they disfellowship you I’ll still be your friend =]

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Now just a potentially apostate minute here Skippy. I thought you were not supposed to participate in this “system of things”. I’m gonna tell your Elders and overseers on you. Then you’ll be sorry. Don’t worry though. When they disfellowship you I’ll still be your friend =][/quote]

?

He’s on the libertarian ticket and last time I checked on the ballot in 47 states. He got snubbed by the GOP was was precluded from debating in the GOP primaries before he jumped on the libertarian band wagon.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Now just a potentially apostate minute here Skippy. I thought you were not supposed to participate in this “system of things”. I’m gonna tell your Elders and overseers on you. Then you’ll be sorry. Don’t worry though. When they disfellowship you I’ll still be your friend =][/quote]

What was my reason for doing this topic?

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

Basically a pro-abortion, pro-pot, fiscally-conservstive Republican.
[/quote]

This was the impression I was under as well.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Now just a potentially apostate minute here Skippy. I thought you were not supposed to participate in this “system of things”. I’m gonna tell your Elders and overseers on you. Then you’ll be sorry. Don’t worry though. When they disfellowship you I’ll still be your friend =] [/quote]What was my reason for doing this topic?[/quote]Sounded like somebody deciding who to vote for, but I have a feeling you’re gonna tell me no.

Do you guys when you vote, vote for the “best” for the country, or based on who is closer to your own beliefs?[/quote]

Who cares about Gary Johnson with forty some days to go before the Presidential election. Johnson is an also ran…and for good reason!

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

?[/quote]He knows what I’m talkin about

He still has better credentials than the current president, and the republican nominee.

Started a very successful business from scratch? Check
Governed a state, for the end of term limits? Check
Understands Economics through both of the above? Check
Balanced the budget in his state(gasp!)? Check
Actually has public speaking skills and charisma? Check
Climbed Mt Everest? Check

Basically he is everything the republican party should have gotten behind if they didnt have their heads up their collective asses.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Despite some problems with a few of his positions I will probably end up voting for the guy.[/quote]

Same boat, here. Couple things I don’t agree with, but I’d take him any day.

CS

But to the OP - he’s a die-hard Libertarian. He’s a strong supporter of gay rights, pro-life (after the first trimester), wants to end the war on drugs, the war in Afghanistan, don’t bother with crazy-ass nations, get out of NATO and the UN (both pretty good ideas) and pretty much cut off all foreign aid.

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
But to the OP - he’s a die-hard Libertarian. He’s a strong supporter of gay rights, pro-life (after the first trimester), wants to end the war on drugs, the war in Afghanistan, don’t bother with crazy-ass nations, get out of NATO and the UN (both pretty good ideas) and pretty much cut off all foreign aid.

CS[/quote]

That all makes too much sense for the general population to elect him, he needs a few flaws so the average american can relate to him better.

CS[/quote]

He’s pro-abortion.

I am pro abortion too, shit, you see the people in our country lately?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

CS[/quote]

That all makes too much sense for the general population to elect him, he needs a few flaws so the average american can relate to him better.[/quote]

On this line of reason (though, it appears it was said for the satirical effect)

So then what do you guys vote for? What YOU feel is best for the country (makes sense to you) or trust a particular PERSON to know what is best?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

CS[/quote]

That all makes too much sense for the general population to elect him, he needs a few flaws so the average american can relate to him better.[/quote]

On this line of reason (though, it appears it was said for the satirical effect)

So then what do you guys vote for? What YOU feel is best for the country (makes sense to you) or trust a particular PERSON to know what is best?[/quote]

It would be a little biased if I trusted my own opinion over a particular person. If I am capable of choosing whats best for the country then so is Mr Johnson, and if hes not then why would I be any better at it? This is why I like some of the libertarian ideas especially anything that pushes decisions down to the state level. If 1 person or many people are going to make a decision, the fewer amount of people it affects the better.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
If 1 person … are going to make a decision, the fewer amount of people it affects the better.[/quote]

Cou;dn’t agree with this more.

(editing mine.)