Garage Gym - Extreme Conditions

I train in my garage, and I love it. It’s a small space - only a single car garage - and now that it’s the summer the thing really cooks.

I don’t mind the heat, but it has to get up to 110-120 in there by the time I’m done. I get so sweaty in there I like to pretend I’m just adjacent to the orgy room in Thulsa Doom’s mountain of power. But I digress. Outside of the bar slipping occasionally, are there any major drawbacks to training in such intense heat?

[quote]bt_impaler wrote:
I train in my garage, and I love it. It’s a small space - only a single car garage - and now that it’s the summer the thing really cooks.

I don’t mind the heat, but it has to get up to 110-120 in there by the time I’m done. I get so sweaty in there I like to pretend I’m just adjacent to the orgy room in Thulsa Doom’s mountain of power. But I digress. Outside of the bar slipping occasionally, are there any major drawbacks to training in such intense heat?[/quote]

Not unless fat loss is a drawback.

Or, smelling like a farm animal on occassion…

[quote]bt_impaler wrote:
Outside of the bar slipping occasionally, are there any major drawbacks to training in such intense heat?[/quote]

Death would be one…dying is generally not the optimal condition for muscle growth.

Can’t you open the doors or something?

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Death would be one…dying is generally not the optimal condition for muscle growth.

Can’t you open the doors or something?[/quote]

Death doesn’t sound good. I feel good when training - I would hope that I would get some warning signs before dying.

Occassionally I open the door to get some fresh air for a minute, but generally I keep it closed for two reasons. First, I blast my music and I don’t want to bother the neighbors. Second, I don’t want to draw too much attention because a city ordinance for my area dictates that you can only have cars in your garage.

Many of my neighbors use their garage for other purposes as well, but every now and again city officials come by and create a hassle. About 6 months ago my neighbor had to clear out his garage because he was using it as storage - and I don’t want lose my gym.

[quote]bt_impaler wrote:
mmllcc wrote:

Can’t you open the doors or something?

Death doesn’t sound good. I feel good when training - I would hope that I would get some warning signs before dying.

Occassionally I open the door to get some fresh air for a minute, but generally I keep it closed for two reasons. First, I blast my music and I don’t want to bother the neighbors. Second, I don’t want to draw too much attention because a city ordinance for my area dictates that you can only have cars in your garage.

Many of my neighbors use their garage for other purposes as well, but every now and again city officials come by and create a hassle. About 6 months ago my neighbor had to clear out his garage because he was using it as storage - and I don’t want lose my gym.
[/quote]

That’s one fucked up town to be able to tell you what you can or can’t put in your garage.

Buy a fan. Drink shit tons of water.

I train in the back of my office building, and I hate turning on the AC back there for only an hour - if that long. It get’s pretty damn hot especially this summer. I think it’s been at or near 100 degrees almost everyday since the 1st of June.

I turn the fan on high, drink a bunch of water during my workout, and step outside for some fresh air between body parts.

Wow, that city ordinance thing sounds like a pain in the ass. I think maybe only 10% of the garages in my 'hood have cars in them.

It’s plenty hot in my garage right now. I’ve resorted to doing cardio at the Y where it’s air-conditioned. Also, I have adjusted the time of day of my work-outs to either earlier or later in the day as scheduling permits. I have a couple of large fans that do help.
If you can, I would recommend that the door be at least cracked open for ventilation.

Maybe turn the music down some. (I prefer silence except when doing cardio.)You really don’t want the heat distracting you from giving an 100% intensity level in my opinion.
Don’t forget to drink plenty of water before, during, and after your work-out.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

That’s one fucked up town to be able to tell you what you can or can’t put in your garage.

Buy a fan. Drink shit tons of water.

I train in the back of my office building, and I hate turning on the AC back there for only an hour - if that long. It get’s pretty damn hot especially this summer. I think it’s been at or near 100 degrees almost everyday since the 1st of June.

I turn the fan on high, drink a bunch of water during my workout, and step outside for some fresh air between body parts.

[/quote]

It has to do with street parking in the area. The city is a bit of a pain. I live in LA, and a lot of these housing officials give shit to all the wrong people.

Hell, the department of housing forced my landlord to remove this bridge connecting our patio on the roof of the garage to my apartment because the garage existed on property lines. Fortunately as soon as it was approved my landlord put it back up. But if you go 5 blocks away you have drug dens for apartments and I never hear housing breaking them up.

Anyway, I drink lots of water and get air every now and then. Although, because I’m trying gain weight and care less about fat loss, do these conditions hinder that goal at all?

[quote]bt_impaler wrote:
Anyway, I drink lots of water and get air every now and then. Although, because I’m trying gain weight and care less about fat loss, do these conditions hinder that goal at all?[/quote]

It’s going to burn more calories than if you are training when it’s 72 degrees - but how how much depends on your training program.

I would definitely drop the cardio if you are doing any, and try to schedule your training either in the morning, or after the heat of the day has passed.

Since you are trying to gain weight, there would be nothing wrong with extending your rest periods a little to help you cool down. Along those lines - keep a wet towel handy to put over your head between sets.

The last thing you want to do is pass out. If you are lifting heavy, it can happen real fast.

this is why i have a high powered fan in my face on every exercise i do or pointing at my back in the case of something like chinups

Well, I don’t do any cardio. I’m doing WS4SB III with a slight change - on the DE lower body day, instead of jumps, I do 4x(10-15) of squats because that’s such a weakness for me.

Sounds good though, I’ll keep my rests a little longer, and, more than anything, get my ass up earlier to beat the heat. I don’t want to burn too many unnecessary calories.

Second the wet towel.

Buy one of those eighty dollar room ACs and either mount it someplace or put it on the floor. They don’t use up that much power and they get a small, enclosed cool quick like nobody’s business.

Dunk your head in a bowl of water before a big set.

Wow, Thulsa Doom’s Orgy Room?! -lol

Do you have some the soup with human hands floating in it as your post workout meal?

S

[quote]rainjack wrote:
…It’s going to burn more calories than if you are training when it’s 72 degrees - but how how much depends on your training program…
[/quote]

How so? I don’t see how training in the heat would SIGNIFICANTLY burn more cals.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
rainjack wrote:
…It’s going to burn more calories than if you are training when it’s 72 degrees - but how how much depends on your training program…

How so? I don’t see how training in the heat would SIGNIFICANTLY burn more cals. [/quote]

I didn’t say significantly. I said it’s going to burn more calories. It takes more energy to keep the body cool during a heavy workout in extreme heat than it does for the same workout performed at 70 degrees.

How is this not blatantly obvious?

I train in a garage, and although Ireland is cold compared to the USA, in the summer its very hot in the gym

Drink water, get a fan, and dont over heat if you can help it.

other than that… keep pumpin and humpin

1. Move.

2. When the city offical comes knocking, open the door and strike a most muscular pose while telling him to fuck off.