Gap Year

I don’t post here often, mainly lurk, so I thought it was time I came out of the shadows. Basically i’ve been at university for two years now and i’ve already changed course and have the opportunity to reapply to a new university for my next three ytears of study, because of this i’ve decided it’s the perfect chance to take a year out. Now i’ve thought about this a lot and it gives me time to really think about what I want to do with my life. I can work, get some money behind me, travel and even get my personal training license before hitting the books again.

Of course i’ve talked to other people about this and everyone who has taken a year out has said it’s the best thing they’d done. Obviously I want to plan the year properly, starting as soon as possible. After being inspired by WC’s thread, i’m looking forward to hearing of his travels, I just wondered if anyone had any experiences they’d like to share? Anywhere that they would recommend to visist during this time? I’m interested to hear almost anything!

Thanks

Is that you in your avatar? If so…

slit your fucking throat

Please don’t put me on your hit list bro.

Awkward…

I took two years off, and this is my first year back. In those two years I’ve gotten to know my interests better. Not to mention getting married. I’m a lot more motivated now. Just remember that it sucks major ass to go from no school whatsoever to school AND work. I also wouldn’t recommend two years. I regret that it took me that long to find what I was looking for(per se).

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Is that you in your avatar? If so…

slit your fucking throat[/quote]

Don’t you recognize the stars of Jersey Shore? As I can see you don’t…

Put on Celine Dion, lay down in a warm bath and open up your veins.

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
Awkward…

I took two years off, and this is my first year back. In those two years I’ve gotten to know my interests better. Not to mention getting married. I’m a lot more motivated now. Just remember that it sucks major ass to go from no school whatsoever to school AND work. I also wouldn’t recommend two years. I regret that it took me that long to find what I was looking for(per se).[/quote]

It’s definately good to hear that you’re a lot more motivated now and especially that you really found out what your interests are. I was a little worried actually that taking a year out I may not want to return to education but right now I just feel like i’m hitting my head against a wall.

Education is overrated. Most people in college don’t want to be there and could have more freedom if they’d just gone into the work force during/after high school. I know several of my buddies that have already become heads of their departments (one is a Loan Officer, the other one is a Operations Manager) because they just went to work right out of HS, as well as a few that started their own businesses.

So, if you leave college most people do not come back, not because they cannot come back. They do not because they realise that college was not right for them, and were doing it because it was in the linear path from High School. Instead they have found that working or starting a business is better for them and that college will give them more knowledge however they do not feel they need it.

I kind of feel the same, in that I went straight into higher education as it was the conventional path to take. I don’t regret going, i’ve made a lot of friends and learnt a lot about myself. To be honest I think taking a gap year before I hit University would have been a lot worse and doing it now I can really take some time to do the things i’ve wanted to do for a while now.

Work for a little if you dont have the money yet then backpack Europe/Asia/South America, depending on tastes and funds.

It will be an amazing experience and living out of a backpack for a long period will give you perspective on what matters and what is not important.