Game of Thrones Season 3

[quote]gregron wrote:
EDIT: potential spoiler if you haven’t seen the first season or read the first book lol

^^there weren’t any real spoilers in there… Quite a bit of insight but nothing like screaming “Ned Stark dies in season 1!!!” Lol

That literally blew my mind. I hadn’t read any of the books before watching season 1 and when that happened I was like “whaaaaaaaaaa!?!?!?!?” Hahaha

[/quote]

Same here. After that you knew anyone was fair game.

I have to say as great as this series is, I will NEVER start another series of books that is not finished.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
EDIT: potential spoiler if you haven’t seen the first season or read the first book lol

^^there weren’t any real spoilers in there… Quite a bit of insight but nothing like screaming “Ned Stark dies in season 1!!!” Lol

That literally blew my mind. I hadn’t read any of the books before watching season 1 and when that happened I was like “whaaaaaaaaaa!?!?!?!?” Hahaha

[/quote]

I have to say as great as this series is, I will NEVER start another series of books that is not finished.[/quote]

I have to agree. Apparently the writer likes to release a new book every 5-7 years or something ridiculous? That’s nuts. I’ll be 40something before the series is finished! lol

I’m hoping that the popularity of the TV series lights a little fire under his butt and he gets himself in the zone and finishes quicker.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

I have to say as great as this series is, I will NEVER start another series of books that is not finished.[/quote]

I have to agree. Apparently the writer likes to release a new book every 5-7 years or something ridiculous? That’s nuts. I’ll be 40something before the series is finished! lol

I’m hoping that the popularity of the TV series lights a little fire under his butt and he gets himself in the zone and finishes quicker.[/quote]

I just cant see George RR Martin finishing his novels. He’s a heart attack waiting to happen! Definitely frustrating considering how the last one ended.

I’m glad I’m not the only one finding book 4 a bit of a slog. I’ve got about 200 pages to the end but it’s tough going. It’s good to know it’s set up for book 5 because it feels like it’s strayed entirely from the first three books. I’ve been reading them back to back and may take a bit of a break.

The character I miss the most in this book is Tyrion. He’s one of my favourites. Cersei really is quite a sick bitch and I find her bits tough. I have been enjoying the development of Brienne and the interaction she had with Jaime.

THIS IS A PRE WARNING THAT ANY POSTS MADE BY ME, FLASHBACK, IN THIS THREAD MAY HAVE SPOILERS. I NEITHER HAVE THE TIME NOR THE PATIENCE TO KEEP TELLING PEOPLE WHAT THE PREREQUISITE READINGS/VIEWING ARE FOR MY POSTS NOT TO BE SPOILERS SO CONSIDER THIS AS FAIR WARNING. IF YOU ARE NOT UP TO DATE WITH ANY OF THE GoT STUFF IGNORE MY POSTS.

^^lol

EDIT:

It’s kind of a good idea (I think) but if you’re going to post spoilers for people who haven’t read the books maybe you just post in all caps so people know to skip it.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Yes I think my own life parallels Jaime’s in a lot of ways. Having this vision of what you want to be as a young man, then gradually straying from that path without even realizing it until you look up and find you’re miles from where you wanted to be, but pride won’t let you admit that what you really are is anything but completely fucking awesome, so you keep at it for a few years. Eventually something knocks you down and breaks you, and you have to face what you’ve become with no false facade of hubris to shield you from the truth.

Now in the books he is roughly where I am too, and we both seem to be realizing the same things and taking the same steps to get ourselves back on track. Of course, my life is way more boring than that of Jaime Fucking Lannister. But at least I never fucked any blood relatives.[/quote]

Hilarious! Awesome post.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I’m glad I’m not the only one finding book 4 a bit of a slog. I’ve got about 200 pages to the end but it’s tough going. It’s good to know it’s set up for book 5 because it feels like it’s strayed entirely from the first three books. I’ve been reading them back to back and may take a bit of a break.

The character I miss the most in this book is Tyrion. He’s one of my favourites. Cersei really is quite a sick bitch and I find her bits tough. I have been enjoying the development of Brienne and the interaction she had with Jaime.[/quote]

At first, I was annoyed that seemingly every-other-chapter in AFFC is about Cersei. But I did come around and really start enjoying the “glimpse into her mind/perspective” in much the same way as Jaime’s chapters.

And I might be the only one who actually enjoyed the chapters in Dorne, certainly preferred those to whatever was going on in the Eyrie. But I suppose I’m even enjoying that storyline, so nevermind.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

The character I miss the most in this book is Tyrion. He’s one of my favourites. Cersei really is quite a sick bitch and I find her bits tough. I have been enjoying the development of Brienne and the interaction she had with Jaime.[/quote]

At first, I was annoyed that seemingly every-other-chapter in AFFC is about Cersei. But I did come around and really start enjoying the “glimpse into her mind/perspective” in much the same way as Jaime’s chapters.

And I might be the only one who actually enjoyed the chapters in Dorne, certainly preferred those to whatever was going on in the Eyrie. But I suppose I’m even enjoying that storyline, so nevermind.

[/quote]

It’s interesting what you said about Cersei. At first I was sympathetic but when she starts sending all the women she doesn’t like to visit with Qyburn, it turned me off.

However, I find her interesting in that she wants to lead and struggles to lead but was never given the tools that her brothers were given because she was a girl so she doesn’t know how to do it effectively. You can feel her rage in how she was sold to Robert and continues to lack support from her own family, most specifically her uncle Kevan. At that stage of the story though, is the lack of support because she’s a woman or because she’s becoming unraveled? Would she be less crazy and a better leader if she were given the support and tools her brothers had? Her rage spills over into her over reactions and lack of subtlety.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

It’s interesting what you said about Cersei. At first I was sympathetic but when she starts sending all the women she doesn’t like to visit with Qyburn, it turned me off.

However, I find her interesting in that she wants to lead and struggles to lead but was never given the tools that her brothers were given because she was a girl so she doesn’t know how to do it effectively. You can feel her rage in how she was sold to Robert and continues to lack support from her own family, most specifically her uncle Kevan. At that stage of the story though, is the lack of support because she’s a woman or because she’s becoming unraveled? Would she be less crazy and a better leader if she were given the support and tools her brothers had? Her rage spills over into her over reactions and lack of subtlety.
[/quote]

You lost me completely. What tools? What was Tyrion given that Cersei was not?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only thing Tyrion was given was the name Lannister by way of Tywin. That’s it. He had to struggle every step of his life to get even the smallest bit of recognition from anyone (except Jamie who is the only who seems to genuinely have cared for Tyrion for the sake of family).

Cersei is a spoiled, elitist twit who has no notion of diplomacy or game playing … which is why she’s been put in the position she has been (some might say it was prophesized but those are always double edged). She’s by far out matched by her (perceived) rival, Margery who has been groomed to play the game of thrones and understands its subtleties … Cersei would much rather approach an ant with a sledgehammer.

However, I do agree that Cersei is riveting. Only in the way that a lunatic is riveting. I found her chapters to be entertaining, and after the second reading, I enjoyed AFFC. The first reading was somewhat brutal, but when you finish A Dance with Dragons you kind of appreciate the pacing of AFFC.

Also, what went on in the Eyrie is really kind of interesting in that you see the education of Sansa, who I think will become a more formidable player in the rest of the story. Also, she’s done what she had to do to survive the hell she was in and came away with her sanity. That says a lot about her. She watched the dude she was betrothed to (with whom she thought she was in love) condemn her father to death, watched the beheading, then proceeded to be humiliated and tortured for the next year, year and a half … also, she had to denounce ALL of her kin, appear to be happy about her brother AND mother being murdered (Red Wedding), her other brothers being killed (by someone who had been raised with her as almost a brother) etc. etc.

I really don’t find Sansa’s chapters to be boring at all.

I like Sansa’s chapters.

Also Cersei is a just a huge sl00ty bitch.

^^ Great posts/perspectives on Cersei.

She may only engender the slightest sliver of sympathy, but that its even there at all is notable.

Reminds me of some book review – and I’m paraphrasing off of memory here – which praised the ‘complex morality’ that RR Martin never fails to provide; and how its basically never black-and-white, but only ever shades of grey. (with the obvious contrasts to Tolkien and to a much greater extent, CS Lewis)

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A hammer and a chisel :slight_smile:

Despite how he is reviled by his entire family except his brother, he seems to have been given the same tools many boys are given by their fathers; hang out and watch how it’s done because it’s expected that you should know how to do it. Just because he was shit on, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a Lannister and expected to have the skills of a Lannister.

Cersei doesn’t seem to have gotten any of that or if she did, absorbed any of it. She’s not subtle, is easily angered, quick to act on real or perceived slights and can’t play the long game. There are multiple examples in the story in which Cersei mulls over her own past and believes she has been shoved aside and walked over because she’s a woman. I don’t know yet what happens with her daughter in Dorne and whether the Dornish succeed in pushing her as Queen as Westeros. It will be interesting to see her reaction to that.

My favourite is still Tyrion though, followed by Arya. I hope he makes an appearance soon.

Lots of good, insightful posts in here. I dig it.

But seriously guys… How awesome was that trailer? Haha

[quote]gregron wrote:
Lots of good, insightful posts in here. I dig it.

But seriously guys… How awesome was that trailer? Haha[/quote]

pretty awesome … love the show

POTENTIAL SPOILER POSSIBLY?

Ok so what do you guys think about the last scene in that trailer where the dragon is flying up to te boat? That scene makes the dragon look quite large but the dragons didn’t really grow past cat sized until the last book IIRC? I’m not sure if its just the angle that makes it look larger than it actually is or if they will speed along the growth of the dragons for the show.

I would be happy if they did because that was one thing that frustrated me a bit about the books. I wanted the dragons to get bigger faster and starting ripping faces off.

[quote]gregron wrote:

Ok so what do you guys think about the last scene in that trailer where the dragon is flying up to te boat? That scene makes the dragon look quite large but the dragons didn’t really grow past cat sized until the last book IIRC? I’m not sure if its just the angle that makes it look larger than it actually is or if they will speed along the growth of the dragons for the show.

I would be happy if they did because that was one thing that frustrated me a bit about the books. I wanted the dragons to get bigger faster and starting ripping faces off.[/quote]

I assume they’re speeding along the growth of the dragons … but yea, at that point in the books they weren’t any larger than a small dog

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

I would be happy if they did because that was one thing that frustrated me a bit about the books. I wanted the dragons to get bigger faster and starting ripping faces off.[/quote]

I assume they’re speeding along the growth of the dragons … but yea, at that point in the books they weren’t any larger than a small dog[/quote]

I hope they do. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in season 3.

Season 1 followed the first book to the T.

Season 2 they changed some things up and took some liberties which was nice and kind of unexpected (nothing earth shattering though)

Wonder what they’ll do in season 3?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

I assume they’re speeding along the growth of the dragons … but yea, at that point in the books they weren’t any larger than a small dog[/quote]

Wonder what they’ll do in season 3?[/quote]
Hopefully not f*ck it up.