Game Changers for 2016

Getting rid of a lot of supplements, eating more whole food. More money in my pocket, less bloat in my body.

5 Likes

Haven’t quite been doing it long enough to know how long term results are but currently made the following changes

• More frequency, 6 days a week on a 3 day split
  • Back to basic weekly weight progressions, not doing 5/3/1 style 3-4 week cycles anymore.
  • Added intensity cycling where I keep increasing most weights weekly for a 8-12 week period then reset

I’m going to the other direction. Giving up the frequency has not bothered my progress at all, at least not in lower body lifts. I feel better (less aches), recover better and progress as well with low frequency compared to the higher one I’ve followed earlier. Probably this has something to do with the fact I have a lot of other things going on in life too.

So my changers are:

• Frequency is not super important.
  • Conditioning is super important.
2 Likes

I’ve noticed a huge difference from training like a ‘bro’ and eating shit to following a set program and eating lots of good food. Compared to before I feel like I’ve hopped on gear. I’m realizing nutrition is probably the most important factor in your training.

3 Likes

All good things for 2016.

I learned to FS, then I started training heavy back squats again a couple of months ago, and got 175 lbs last week, which is 1.5 x BW (113) plus 5 pounds to spare. Just thrilled!! I’ve been getting 155 x 3 with my squat. I’m not a PLer, but I’ve met all the big strength goals I really hoped to hit (2 x BW Trap DL earlier this year). Not too bad for a little BBer with 19" thighs, who started lifting really late, and has never run 5/3/1!! I was motivated to get over my squat fear because…

The biggest game changer has been working with a WLing coach once a week. I’m 100 percent in LOVE with the Snatch and C + J. I do better if I have someone there to push me to do things I’m a little bit afraid of. Plus, they are just so technically difficult. “The beauty of ballet is that it’s almost impossible.” That’s a little bit what these lifts are like. I’m still fitting in some ballet barre and BBing accessories. And my hinky shoulder has never felt better. All the ROM work for the Oly lifts seems to have helped. It’s been great to be able to BB OH press again.

Blurry video of 155 lb squat. Not my PR, but I’m just so happy that I got over my fear with these.

@kpsnap, @minimaltechno, @spock61, @Aragorn - Since you’ve all seen my sad 95 pound squats. No more, “She benches more than she squats.”

edited

4 Likes

Congratulations, Puff! What a great accomplishment! I look forward to more to come!

2 Likes

Thank you!! You know what a head case I’ve been about squats. I’m really happy to feel like I’ve gotten over it. I think all experienced lifters start to see progress slow down, but 2016 has turned out to be such a great year!

Wow… No question about depth there either. Great lift.

1 Like

I love it! Good for you!!

1 Like

your squat is perfect!!!

1 Like

@Lonnie123, @Aragorn, @Spock81 , and @kpsnap. Thank you!! I’m just training all my squats low since that makes more sense for my WLing.

Other game changers.

Getting some squat shoes.

Actually buying a belt that fits me well, and learning to breathe and brace against it.

Following a program written by my coach 3x/week. He’s brilliant at figuring out where I’m just really terrible. Haha! I hate that!! BUT it’s really helpful.

It’s probably mental more than anything, but using a belt has helped me just feel more confident about being able to keep my back in a neutral position. Backstory is I have a hyper-flexible low back and had ab surgery with internal stitches from above my belly button down my rectus abdominus a few year ago. I’ve been afraid about being able to really have the core strength to brace well with squats. And I’ve always been a little afraid of heavy squats so it was a good excuse to not train them.

@ChongLordUno, I’ll stop being a thread hog now! I think this thread is a cool idea. Thanks!

1 Like
  1. Hopping on the 531 programme has led to extraordinary gains, both aesthetically and strength.

2. Changing my training philosophy from going Mongo on every exercise, every single session.

3. Taking into account the balance needed between intensity/frequency/volume has helped me revolutionise my training style to the next level = more gains again.

4. Getting rid of the unnecessary crap exercises that flooded and over-complicated my previous “programmes”.

5. Combining the structured training and principles of the 531 programme with regulated freestyle training.

6. Finding the balls to get off my cut and train for performance before everything else.

7. Introducing band shoulder warmup exercises and mobility drills.

8. Transitioning from High to Low bar squats.

God there must be even more than, but I feel that I risk repeating myself in a way.

2 Likes

Howdy from sunny Bangkok

1. Pushing the envelope in regards to frequency, intensity and volume, via a structured approach in regard to the aforementioned variables (including de-loads)

2. AT LEAST 100 band pull a-parts a day (various bands), usually in between sets of skipping and shadow boxing (I do Muay Thai). Traps blew up and shoulders never been better.

3. Daily mobility work - relevant to my needs, Dr, John Rusin’s stuff is pure gold

I’ve just turned 39 and feel and perform better than when I was in my 20’s.

Moog

1 Like

Power cleans catching in a power position (1/4 to 1/2 squat position).

6’5" tall, 235 lbs this morning (after Halloween candy). Missed 320 yesterday but successfully cleaned 315 lbs 10 weeks ago.

With my long ass limbs my bench and squat suck compared to most people but I boost my ego on the platform. :sunglasses:

My next goal is to beef up my front squat so I can clean more. I only got 265 lbs on FS 10 weeks ago. Maxing again Friday.

1 Like