Gallon of Whole Milk a Day

just saw in a recent article that a gallon of whole milk a day is “better” then steriods…

my real question is wouldnt drinking milk during the day be bad because the high amount of sugar in it…wouldnt that spike the hormone insulin and add a significant amount of fat?

Can you post a link to this article?
define ‘better than steroids’??
if you mean bigger muscles,more strength,better recovery,etc.

I don’t see how??
It wouldn’t even come close.
I know of no substance that does (Sorry Biotest)
Since when is spiking insulin a bad thing if you were looking to add bulk??
Did I miss a meeting?

he was just over emphazing how good milk is…obv i know its ot better then steriods

link?

Rippetoe: Oh, yeah. The primary effect of our program is muscular bodyweight gain. That’s where our famous gallon of milk a day program comes in. A gallon of whole milk, each day, is our standard recommendation for people who need to gain weight.

And nothing works better than a linear progression on simple barbell exercises, that has you go up in weight every workout, while you’re gaining weight because you’re drinking a gallon of milk a day. I have seen people put on 50 pounds of muscular bodyweight. We do it all the time, and it works beautifully.

I’ll go on record as saying that steroids don’t work as well as this. This program works better for novices than steroids. Absolutely yes.

ok… better for NOVICES.

Key word here is NOVICES

Yes actually consuming a shitload more calories than normal for a beginner is probably better than just doing drugs thinking they are magic.

Wouldn’t consuming a gallon of milk per day just quickly make you alergic to milk?

It’s only better than 'roids if you squat while drinking it.

I don’t think Rippetoe is saying that a gallon of milk a day works better than steroids.
As Kalle touched on,ANY novice who starts out on a regular weight training programme (even a half-assed programme written by any idiot) and consumes a lot of quality protein and calories,
is going to dramatically increase muscle mass and the weight you are lifting.

That is a basic physiological response to starting almost any resistance training and your body simply adapting-It is a mind/muscle connection responsible for many of the initial gains in strength (neural/neurological)

Most novices do not take steroids and they would not see all of the benefits.it is usually frustrated lifters or other athletes who need to break through a plateau,whether it is a certain weight they want to be or a weight they want to lift,increased vascularity,personal best,etc.

In this respect,even someone who had been training and eating for a few months regularly would not see better gains in size and strength merely from drinking or even adding a gallon of milk than they would from steroids.
My Two Cents.
:slight_smile:

[quote]RMorrison wrote:
Wouldn’t consuming a gallon of milk per day just quickly make you alergic to milk?[/quote]

No. This whole “eating food makes you allergic to it” nonsense needs to end.

… beer not milk.

hahah on a serious note. I cant really put that idea to the test. Milk makes me go runny, and bloaty, and… gassy.

However, somebody is bound to say that “well the milk is only so good because its got all the cattle steroids in it… mimicking the anabolic steroids people use”.

to be honest. So many people have used milk with success. And some have used it without any. Just try it out and see what happens.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
RMorrison wrote:
Wouldn’t consuming a gallon of milk per day just quickly make you alergic to milk?

No. This whole “eating food makes you allergic to it” nonsense needs to end.[/quote]

Thank fucking Christ someone said it.

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
hahah on a serious note. I cant really put that idea to the test. Milk makes me go runny, and bloaty, and… gassy.[/quote]

Sounds to me like you might be lactose intolerant.

Milk wont spike insulin because of its high fat content. Not sure about skim, but who wants that stuff anyways!

Ive been drinking a gallon of 1% milk every day for the past 2 months. Have I gained weight? YES like 10lb! Has my squat and other lifts gone up? YES! Does this seem to work? Well it seems to. Will I keep doing it? As long as it keeps working. Milk is the staple of my diet. It makes up almost 1/2 my daily caloric intake.

BTW, I have gained hardly any fat since Ive been doing this.

I recommend you start drinking today. Ive also quit taking supplements completely except for some whey post workout and I am even starting to do that less often.

SQUATS AND MILK!!!

[quote]Fiction wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
RMorrison wrote:

Thank fucking Christ someone said it.[/quote]

If doing too much of anything made you somehow “allergic” to it, males would be allergic to their penises by age 16.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Fiction wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
RMorrison wrote:

Thank fucking Christ someone said it.

If doing too much of anything made you somehow “allergic” to it, males would be allergic to their penises by age 16.
[/quote]

I think I have this problem. Whenever I come in contact with it, there is distinct swelling and redness. Also, my balls itch a lot.

Hey guys, its funny. We are an adaptive species (Well all animals are). But, wouldn’t you think our body could adapt to milk if we took it… in moderate amounts… or even Tiny amounts? (not like over dosing it or anything).

[quote]toohungry wrote:
just saw in a recent article that a gallon of whole milk a day is “better” then steriods…
[/quote]

Umm, no. It’s not. At all.

But a gallon a day + steroids would give you massive gains!

If you’re not lactose intolerant and it doesn’t mess with your stomach consume as much as possible.