Gains on the Year

I have been on TRT since Jan 09 this year where I was 190.5lbs. I am now 207.5lbs as of this weekend. I have been on T-Cyp (200mg/wk) and HCG (1000iu/wk).

Jason Theobald has been running my diet and training oversight since my last MPD contest held Oct 4th 2013. I had my hormone issue following the show through early Jan this year which directed me to Jason in the first place to get some outside help and then get rolling with the much needed gains I wanted/needed before competing again. I very much want to get back into bodybuilding vs MPD but my genes and reality may retain me at the MPD level frankly.

Please check the pics and let me know what you think folks. Honesty is welcome…no sugar coating.

sept 21
[photo]40454[/photo]
[photo]40453[/photo]
[photo]40452[/photo]
[photo]40451[/photo]

jan 9
[photo]40449[/photo]
[photo]40447[/photo]
[photo]40448[/photo]
[photo]40450[/photo]

So in a year you got a tan?

I was going to ask which pictures were before and which were after. I don’t want to be an asshole, I’ve followed your other RMP threads… but I seriously can’t tell. That kind of says it all regarding your progress. Sorry I don’t have anything more helpful than that. I have no idea what you need to change, as you have been more or less spinning your wheels since you started posting on this site. Progress obviously comes very slow for you.

… so I just looked at the pictures again, it looks like the black shorts are the more recent pictures. Your delts look like they’re probably bigger in those shots, so that’s a positive. That’s the only difference I’m seeing.

Their is a reason I went on TRT and hired a coach and your seeing it. I needed some training and diet direction from an unbiased expert eye as well as some formal medical hormone treatment due to some clinically confirmed low T levels. I corrected both and then let time do the rest.

Are you saying that by not seeing any change my TRT doc and coach are both worthless and not helping? I’m just doing my thing and complying with both of them 100% and busting my ass daily in the gym and at the kitchen table to do what I have to to make any gains I can big or small. I would have to think that 17lbs gained in 9 months is not too shabby is it not?

Are the people at your gym ok with you taking photos of them while they are naked and posting them online? I’d be pretty upset about that

Had my phone set on auto timer when doing the shots. Guy walked out of no where and right through my shot even though he had like 20 feet of room on the other side to walk around. I set my camera up each time just to avoid this issue as most gyms (the ones I work at as well) dislike any videos or pics of any kind yes. Did not know he was in the shot till I uploaded and saved the pics to my laptop. Shit happens…

[quote]La Crosse Grad wrote:
Had my phone set on auto timer when doing the shots. Guy walked out of no where and right through my shot even though he had like 20 feet of room on the other side to walk around. I set my camera up each time just to avoid this issue as most gyms (the ones I work at as well) dislike any videos or pics of any kind yes. Did not know he was in the shot till I uploaded and saved the pics to my laptop. Shit happens…[/quote]

Shit always happens when you do something shitty. You could at least block out the face.

Please check the pics and let me know what you think folks. Honesty is welcome…no sugar coating.
[/quote]

Nice job on the added bodyweight. Looks like the combination of TRT and adherence to your coach’s plan is paying off in that regard.

I would recommend that your prioritize traps, traps, and traps. If you have been trying to build them with compound movements, you might find it helpful to switch to high-frequency isolation stuff.

I also think you need to focus on biceps and triceps. First, because it doesn’t appear that they have improved much at all. Second, because you have long arms and need to work extra-hard to offset the length with more thickness.

Your legs actually don’t look bad for your size, but if you want to keep working towards a physique competitor look, I would make sure you are pushing your upper body work to your recovery limits before adding any leg work. In other words, a guy like you doesn’t need to be doing legs every third day.

Delts would be another priority.

So traps, traps, traps, arms, delts.

You’ve obviously been dealt a tough hand as it relates to the ratio of your hips to your shoulders, and it looks like your midsection won’t look good until you get down to very low body fat levels. Not sure what you can do about this, sorry.

Finally, especially for someone who has done competitions and taken many photos, your posing is not doing you any favors at all. Almost every pose seems to be accentuating your weaknesses.

You can probably ditch the front double biceps pose. Forever. You don’t need it for physique anyway.

On your front relaxed, you need to stretch your pecs out to emphasize width. You actually do seem to have some pec thickness, so use your posing to distribute that out. Lower your shoulders and pull them back a little - you are raising your shoulders a bit and it’s making you look even narrower up top.

With just about every pose, I would focus on feeling like you are compacting your torso down and spreading everything else out wide.

You need to try to make your back double biceps pose look less mechanical and geeky and way more natural and sexy. Whatever you are doing with your hands and wrists, change it. Try to elevate your elbows slightly so you aren’t making such a perfect right angle. When you grow some traps, you’ll discover that there is a balance between making those traps pop out vertically and spreading that mass across your back. But it’s hard to work on without any meat back there, which is why I conclude with traps, traps, and more traps.

Good luck. Honestly, I would think most of this would be clear to you without needing to frequently post in Rate My Physique…to me it seems like you are just asking for punishment. Personally, I’d keep the cover on that thing for a few years while you keep your nose down and work hard. As a bodybuilding fan and competitor, you should have a pretty keen awareness of what you need to work on.

Good luck, keep up the good work.

Their is a reason I went on TRT and hired a coach and your seeing it. I needed some training and diet direction from an unbiased expert eye as well as some formal medical hormone treatment due to some clinically confirmed low T levels. I corrected both and then let time do the rest.

Are you saying that by not seeing any change my TRT doc and coach are both worthless and not helping? I’m just doing my thing and complying with both of them 100% and busting my ass daily in the gym and at the kitchen table to do what I have to to make any gains I can big or small. I would have to think that 17lbs gained in 9 months is not too shabby is it not?[/quote]

I’m glad you’re getting hormone therapy, it sounds like that was at least 1 missing piece to the puzzle.

I’m not sure your diet is what it needs to be to improve your physique. You don’t have to post your diet information for me to be convinced of that, your physique is all I need to see to come to that conclusion.

Whether or not your coach is worthwhile is a matter that only you can decide. I don’t know what you would look like without coaching.

I’ll answer your last question with a question. If I can’t tell the difference between the before and after pictures, and it seems most of the other guys here can’t either, then does it matter that you gained 17 lbs?

I guess my last question would be, are you stronger now than you were 9 months ago, particularly on the heavy compound movements?

Strength on bench press, shoulder press, leg press, squats, rack deads have all went up in load and in reps. i added 40lbs to my bench, 50lbs to my squat and 30lbs to shoulder press (seated bb). my rack deads have went up in reps, 405x8 vs just 5 before and deadlifts have went from 455 for 5 to 455 for 8.

my coach likes the fact that strength is going up progressively as is bodyweight which he feels is a tell-tale sign T is up and adaptation is happening steadily. his program for me has arms being done twice a week as with shoulders. he has pointed out its a weakness of mine we are working to minimize/correct. i only do cardio twice a week HIIT style per our combined agreement. i tend to get flat and soft with lots of cardio volume/frequency so we bypass that.

the posing i do is at his request to see my physique from set/fixed angles every time i send him pictures. by no means is that my “best” posing, its just the few quick shots i do at 7am sunday mornings after my weigh in to send to him.

thanks for the honest responses guys as thats all i look for. feedback on what you do or do not see happening. objectively i am seeing it in the gym and on the scale but subjectively (what our sport is) i am not seeing it, much like many of you have mentioned already.

It sounds like those are some pretty huge improvements on the big lifts, so congrats on that. Perhaps the pictures don’t really do you justice. Adding 40 lbs to your bench should result in a substantial change to your physique, and I’m just not seeing that in the pictures.

Am I reading your deadlift numbers right? It looks like your deadlift is 50 lbs heavier than your rack pull. That makes no sense to me.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Am I reading your deadlift numbers right? It looks like your deadlift is 50 lbs heavier than your rack pull. That makes no sense to me.[/quote]

i rack dead from under the knees about 1" so it may be a bit “deeper” of a rack dead then most do but my coach wants as much back as possible in the lift and as little legs as possible since i am tall. he switched to strictly rack deads with a wider grip for the past 6 weeks matter of fact so my rack dead has only recently caught up to my floor deadlift. shows how much was in the legs vs back id say! lats/traps never been this sore!

Out of curiosity, what are your lifts like? Bench, squat, OHP etc.

most recent maxes were: (within last month)

floor dead 495x3
rack dead 525x3
bench press 275x3
db seated shoulder press 85’sx2 (bb kills my shoulders in fix position)
squats 395x3 (breaking parallel)
not maxed on anything else in months or longer so cant list much else.

floor dead 495x3
rack dead 525x3
bench press 275x3
not maxed on anything else in months or longer so cant list much else.[/quote]

Taking your bench for example, a 275x3 bench would put your close grip bench for the same reps at somewhere between 80 and 90% of that (220-250). Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I have never seen a guy with arms the size of yours close grip that much.

Your other lifts seem considerably high too for your current size. Something seems off IMO.

[quote]Awes wrote:

floor dead 495x3
rack dead 525x3
bench press 275x3
not maxed on anything else in months or longer so cant list much else.[/quote]

Taking your bench for example, a 275x3 bench would put your close grip bench for the same reps at somewhere between 80 and 90% of that (220-250). Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I have never seen a guy with arms the size of yours close grip that much.

Your other lifts seem considerably high too for your current size. Something seems off IMO.[/quote]
Doesn’t seem off to me. A friend of mine is similar body weight (205 lbs) and has a 564 deadlift and a 315 paused bench, and doesn’t look as lean muscular as this guy (not that this guy looks super lean and muscular).

I have done 3 years solid of competitive USAPL powerlifting from 2010-2012. Did 4 meets each year in and around Missouri when I worked in Columbia, MO.

Trained, ate and competed 100% powerlifter during that time. Odd part of it all is that I weighed just 195-200 that whole time. Had my best lifts then which were a bit higher then what I listed there. The numbers I listed here are from the past months maxes. Given the almost 2 years time since lifting for pure maximal strength they of course have dropped some.

Having developed that strength duirng that time however should be no surprise that I can lift more then I appear to be able to lift. And yes as stated above. I knew and still know guys at 190-200lbs who got me but 25% more on most the lifts and their as tall or taller then me to. I see no oddity about what my numbers show?

Last pics were Sept 21, these were taken Nov 23. 2 months progress. 207lbs and 6’2"

I had a dunk tank test done last week and it said 8% which I gotta say, is just not what I see myself at. I would say 12ish is more realistic. I have seen way too many college male athletes at a real 8% as well as physique guys and bodybuilders and I know what 8% looks like on guys my age and height/build. This is not it. Would those of you here also agree 12ish is more where I stand despite what the hydrostatic said?

new coach has had me on 4100 cals a day every day on 5 lift days and same on my 2 HIIT days. since Sept 21.

My new max lifts are as follows:

495x8 deadlift
400x3 squat
275x1 bench
175x1 seated bb press

back shot

I had a dunk tank test done last week and it said 8% which I gotta say, is just not what I see myself at. I would say 12ish is more realistic.

…

My new max lifts are as follows:

495x8 deadlift
400x3 squat
275x1 bench
175x1 seated bb press[/quote]

If you asked me to just throw out a number for your bodyfat, I would have said 14-15ish. But who knows.

I’m more interested in your lifts. Have you ever considered shifting your focus to powerlifting? Your body seems to be better suited to lifting heavy things than aesthetics. 495x8 deadlift is crazy good for someone who’s working more towards aesthetics. Hell, that’s probably more than I can do, and I lift almost strictly for strength. That would put your max in the 600 ballpark. That’s pretty good in the 198 class (which is where I’d think you would compete at your current bodyweight.) That’s a quality squat as well. Throw on some knee wraps and you’d be squatting 500 in no time (assuming you don’t wrap now).

I’m curious what happened to your bench press though. The last update had your bench at 275x3. What happened?