T Nation

Gains are Slowing

I’ve been training seriously for about a year and a half, before that it was push ups and sit ups before bed. But anyways I would like to think I’ve made really solid gains- December 2010= 138 pounds @ 5’8 June 2012= 181 pounds @ 5’9. My gains are starting to slow, and I was just wondering whether I should switch things up abit or just keep going as it is. I train 5 days a week, and I try to have the best diet a grade 11 can have during school and what not.

For anyone who cares, above is a pic of my transformation from grade 9 to grade 11 (2.5 years)

Good progress dude!

The gains will slow after the first year or two as the newbie window closes.

What is you’re current split/routine like? How do your meals look?

Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Chest
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Bis/Tris

Meal one: 4 peices of toast with nutella, 2 glasses of milk, Quarter scoop of NO xplode mixed with 5g creatine
Meal two: Sandwich with chicken breast
Meal three: Decent sized cheese burger from school’s cafeteria
Meal four: Sandwich with chicken breast again
Pre workout: NO xplode, geranium capsul
Post Workout: Whey protein shake
30 mins post workout: Chicken breast sandwich
Meal six: Whatever is cooked for supper (usually pasta and some meat)
Meal seven: Two glasses of milk and whatever I choose for a bedtime snack

Obviously the diet can vary from time to time because I’m in high school but whatever hey?

good job, you’ve used your time and hormones wisely.

IMO, changing things up are only truly necessary if you are getting injured and you need to work around injuries, or your split isn’t designed to allow adequately for recovery, or you want to focus on bringing up lagging body parts, or for some strange reason adding reps and weight to the bar and eating are not making you grow.

what poundages are you putting up on your main lifts (bench, rows, OHP, squat, dead)?

if your growth is only beginning to slow after 1.5 years of dedicated hard work, I wouldn’t be too concerned as long as you are still making gains over time.

My bench has been shit lately, like it really hasn’t been moving up… I’ve been focusing more on the 10-12 range to gain some size for the ladies, also my first lift for chest is usually incline bench.

My Max lifts on a good day are these:

Bench: 275
Seated OHP: 205
BO Row: 225
Squat: 435
Deadlift: 395

The main thing that has stalled is just like my overall size gaining and my bench. Ide like to put on some more thickness and size.

what weights are you putting up for each lift in those rep ranges?

what does your chest day look like? and is it incline or flat bench that is stalling?

also, I’d like to see a vid of that squat and bench.

Good work.

I stopped doing flat lately, and that’s because my incline and decline bench have been stronger IMO. So that could probably explain why flat is lacking. But a normal chest day would look like this:

Incline: 155 x 10-12 4 sets (I touch chest on incline, i figure it’s the way to go)
Decline: 225 x 8-10 3-4 sets
Wide Chest pres machine: 2 plates each side 12-15 reps 4 sets
Incline Chest flyes: 40’s x 10-12 3 sets
Mid cable flyes: 3 sets of 10-15
Pushups: 2 sets

Good progress for being so young, but i don’t understand No Xplode for breakfast?

[quote]JuicyBroPump wrote:
I stopped doing flat lately, and that’s because my incline and decline bench have been stronger IMO. So that could probably explain why flat is lacking. But a normal chest day would look like this:

Incline: 155 x 10-12 4 sets (I touch chest on incline, i figure it’s the way to go)
Decline: 225 x 8-10 3-4 sets
Wide Chest pres machine: 2 plates each side 12-15 reps 4 sets
Incline Chest flyes: 40’s x 10-12 3 sets
Mid cable flyes: 3 sets of 10-15
Pushups: 2 sets[/quote]

there’s nothing really wrong with not doing flat bench as decline will hit your lower chest anyway, unless you plan on competing as a powerlifter at some point or you want to rotate flat bench back in later. in the case of the latter, the time not spent with that movement will come back to bite you in the ass for a few weeks or months later on as you try to re-learn the movement.

your chest development should be ok as long as you are progressing with inclines and declines, and with your isolation work.

if you can touch your chest on inclines and continue to progress without hurting anything, more power to you.

with your rep schemes, are you ramping to your top set? or are the 3-4 sets of inclines all done at the same weight, all 3-4 sets of declines done at the same weight, etc.?

still waiting on that squat vid.

The NO xplode for breakfast is just cause it makes the creatine not taste awful, and I try to keep er roughly around the same weight but I sometime increase it by 20 pounds or so… I’ll try to get the squat vid at some point, cant say max squats are the most fun thing to be honest :stuck_out_tongue:

^^^ use OJ. or add it to milk. In my experience creatine doesnt taste of anyting, i just mix it with water.

Yeah but like the grittyness is a pain, i used to just put the 5g scoop in my mouth and pound it back with a sip of water. But i guess I’ve turn into a pussy the past few months haha

Good progress, man. You’ve put some good work in and it’s paid off. What are your goals in the future? Plan on competing in bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc.?

CS

You tried adding things like rest pause, drop sets, forced reps to try and get some more weights on the bar again? If you’re no longer adding reps or plates then you can’t really expect to get bigger. Drop the reps down to like 6 or 8. Bitches love guys who train in the 6-8 range! FACT!

Yeah but like the grittyness is a pain, i used to just put the 5g scoop in my mouth and pound it back with a sip of water. But i guess I’ve turn into a pussy the past few months haha[/quote]

Lol this is the exact reason I don’t take creatine I can’t handle thte grittyness.

Good work bro keep it up.

if you cant handle creatine gold help u if you every try powdered aminos…

Yeah but like the grittyness is a pain, i used to just put the 5g scoop in my mouth and pound it back with a sip of water. But i guess I’ve turn into a pussy the past few months haha[/quote]

Try snorting it…hell, who knows maybe it will absorb faster

Hahaha yeah man snortings gotta be the way to go, and for the past few months I was training in the 6-8 range its just been recently that I’ve bumped er up to 10-12 sometimes even 12-15