Gains After 35

I’m 40 and I’ve never been bigger or stronger. When I go to powerlifting meets, I always notice some of the strongest guys are in there 40s. I think it is just about taking care of yourself and being smart.

I go into stealth mode every now and then…lol

55 here. Never better. (although a hip replacement literally threw a spanner in the works.

TQB

well i am now 63 will turn 64 in march… I agree that much is said about getting older after 35 and is nonsense, if you really want something. For me 4 operations since 1990, the hardest part started when I hit 62
and it wasn’t because of the operations.

Its not like i haven’t gotten stronger and smarter I have. But the problem is i need more time to recover. I was doing really well up to Oct 28 then we had a freak snowstorm in New England, without electricity for 5 days lost 5 pounds and got a bit depressed but came back up and was doing well up to Jan 1 2012 when I caught a nasty cold down for a week and yesterday was the first day back at lifting, had to ease into it.

Was thinking I have to plan my workouts more and do a better job of sensing when I need to cut back. I mean I knew I was tired all of the week after christmas but I kept going, plus because of family home I stood up later than usual so i pushed my immune system to far but hey shit happens lol.
But come on 35? lol omg you guys are so funny… Yeah i know a lot of guys that age might have a lot of stress etc…

I’m 46 and I’ve been lifting since I was 16. I’m 6’1, 228lbs-not ripped not fat 35 inch waist, 50 inch chest, 18 inch upper arms. Biggest change I’ve noticed this side of 35 is the increase in aches and pains and the need to really pay attention to what your body is telling you. All things being equal, recovery time increases with age. If you don’t give yourself enough recovery time your older joints are likely to get pissed off and start acting up.

I’ve had to give up some of the big exercises like back squats and barbell bench due to injuries. Rather than get down about my limitations I look at it as a challenge to work around them and bust my ass every workout. I admit it makes me feel good to train harder and lift more than people decades younger.

If you train hard and smart, recover properly and control your food intake, do some cardio, you can make additional gains after 35.

I really believe that training keeps you young.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
I think people vastly underestimate what they can do after 35. I do think that as you get older its helpful to stay leaner as you add size.[/quote]

For what it’s worth, I’m 37, just started lifting a few months ago. I am growing fast, feel great and would probably pick a fight with the 20’s something me for fun right now. Grrrrrr.