Gaining Weight

[quote]optheta wrote:
instead of ur snacks you eat in between meals replace those with double whoppers. see how that goes for a month.[/quote]

Quad stackers.

try eating things like pizza for lunch or even dinner, if u have a good metabolism then u wont gain fat and will gain weight. also try to use lower rep ranges like 6-10 reps in ur workout. so yes eat more overall but add some unhealthy stuff with lots of calories in there too, hope this helps

[quote]Shontayne wrote:
Simple Truth - If you aren’t gaining weight, you aren’t eating enough. Make a plan, stick to it.[/quote]

It really is this simple.
I don’t like the whole fast / slow metabolism thing. Try thinking there are efficient and in-efficient metabolisms. People who have in-efficient metabolisms do not extract and utilize the nutrients from the food they eat properly. They must consume extra food to compensate. It is a weakness you must overcome!

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Most every perpetually skinny guy that ended up putting on some size had to force feed themselves at some point. Your body will adapt to it and you’ll actually start getting hungry every few hours for a FULL meal. [/quote]

They have eaten so little for so long, the feeling of being full is uncomfortable. People act like the hard part takes place in the gym…

[quote]drock82 wrote:
Well Morning I’ll have about 4 eggs and some toast

Then about every hour or so i have snacks here and there like nuts, veggies, and fruit.

For lunch i’ll either have a few pieces of meat such as chicken or steak. I’ll also have a sandwich on the side and other little snacks to go with it.

and about an hour or 2 later i’ll have some snacks and i usually will eat dinner at about 7- 730 and it just depends what dinner is… i’ll have pasta or meat and side dishes with it. and then after working out i have a protein shake.[/quote]

I am the same height as you and have a similar metabolism. You don’t eat nearly enough to put on weight and putting on the weight is not going to be a pleasant experience. You are going to be sick of eating and eating will loose most all enjoyment during the process. Here is what I had to eat to put on weight.
Meal 1
8 whole eggs with 3 peices of cheese, and a packet of oatmeal. 980 calories
Meal 2
ON Pro-complex gainer with 2 cups whole milk and 1 table spoon Olive oil. 1,085 calories
Meal 3
Some chinese food with mixed vegetables and brown rice. Something around 800-1000 calories
Meal 4
ON Pro-complex gainer with 2 cups whole milk and 1 table spoon Olive oil. 1,085 calories
Meal 5
California pizza kitchen thin crust bbq chicken pizza. 900 calories
Meal 6

Meals 3 and 5 of course are just a single examples of something I might eat. I try to eat things that are calorie dense with a good amount of protein. I don’t want things overly processed though the CPK pizza certainly is processed but not as bad as it could be. If you really do have the same metabolism as I do this will not get you fat at all as long as you are lifting. I’m sure if you ate like this and layed around all day long you might eventually get fat on this diet but not if you are active.

You most likely will not be able to jump right into eating like this. It will take some time but it gives you an idea of what you need to work up to if you seriously want to put on weight. You are forcing your body to do something is simply does not want to do. It is going to take a lot of effort on your part to do this. The good news is after you get the weight and mantain it for a while you shouldn’t have to eat as much to maintain it. I seem to do well at around 4,000 calories a day to maintain.

Good luck.

[quote]mojo jojo wrote:

Meal 1
8 whole eggs with 3 peices of cheese, and a packet of oatmeal. 980 calories
Meal 2
Meal 3
Some chinese food with mixed vegetables and brown rice. Something around 800-1000 calories
Meal 4
Meal 5
California pizza kitchen thin crust bbq chicken pizza. 900 calories
Meal 6

[/quote]

You see what this gentleman is doing? He knows EXACTLY how many calories he’s eating per day. The first thing to do is take a lesson here and make sure you know exactly what you are eating everyday (cals/macros).

To me it looks like you just eat whatever and have no idea of the calories ingested. Important to know, or you can’t gauge progress and adjust accordingly.

this may buck conventional wisdom but i started to gain weight quickly when i ditched the 6 meals a day thing. it didnt jive with my system all that well. i wouldnt be hungry enough to eat big enough at those 6 meals. i started eating bigger but less often.

also try adding a protein shake as your drink for every meal (50g of protein per shake)

make PB&j your best friend.

for snack try eating sludge.

half a cup of peanut butter
50g protein powder
some berries
and water for better texture.

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Mud-vein wrote:
If your weight is not going up then shut the fuck up and eat until you gain weight.[/quote]

No you shut the fuck up and stop being a douchebag. K thx[/quote]
Yeah OP should eat less food or try my ultra secret workout that will make him super jacked and make his dick bigger.

The first time I got to 220, it damn near took the amount that mojo posted. It was easier this time, but I’ll probably have to ramp it right back up to that level to reach 230-240. It is not pleasant, but it IS NECESSARY.

BTW, welcome to the Nation, Mojo. I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

[quote]actionboy wrote:
i wouldnt be hungry enough to eat big enough at those 6 meals.[/quote]
That’s the whole point, though. You eat, not because you’re hungry, but because it’s time to eat. It sucks sometimes. You have to muscle past the ‘I can’t eat another bite’ feeling to stretch your stomach.

Eating calorie-dense food helps. You won’t have to eat as much to get your requirements. And when it’s time to cut, switching to less-calorie-dense food lets you eat almost the same amount, so you’re not starving all the time.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:
That’s the whole point, though. You eat, not because you’re hungry, but because it’s time to eat. It sucks sometimes. You have to muscle past the ‘I can’t eat another bite’ feeling to stretch your stomach.

Eating calorie-dense food helps. You won’t have to eat as much to get your requirements. And when it’s time to cut, switching to less-calorie-dense food lets you eat almost the same amount, so you’re not starving all the time.[/quote]

If he is a true ectomorph like myself it will suck most of the time. As I said previously eating like this really destroys the enjoyment of eating. But then again he didn’t ask how he could enjoy eating food more he asked how to gain 20 pounds when you have a fast metabolism. As JayPierce said calorie dense foods are you friend in this situation. Sometimes I get so sick of eating I eat a super calorie dense meal (2,000+ calories) simply so that I can eat one less meal that day. I will still try to take in 50grams of protein every 2 to 3 hours but 50 grams of protein seems like nothing when you are consistently eating around 1k calories per meal. You will also want to avoid certain calorie dense foods that make you feel full longer. I find that whole nuts can do that to me. Peanut butter not such a problem but a handful of nuts may make it harder to get the next meal in.

Thanks for the welcome Jay. I’m not a heavy poster but when I feel I have something to offer I will add to the conversation.

In my exeperience this isn’t the way to gain the leanest of weight but whole milk is a very cheap and effective way to add mass.

[quote]behexen wrote:
In my exeperience this isn’t the way to gain the leanest of weight but whole milk is a very cheap and effective way to add mass. [/quote]

I tend to think the people even focused on “the leanest of weight” instead of pushing to make the most gaisn in muscle possible will only hold themselves back.

Being leaner does not mean you gain muscle faster. If anythiong, they often gain much slower as a result of being more concerned about their level of leanness than their overall gains.

I know you aren’t saying that specifically, but many can take things that way.

X, you todl me to eat more burgerz in another thread. I know the internet doesn’t matter, whatever…but here’s a guarantee: I will go from 185, starting next week, to 210 minimum by December. Doubt me, cuz its gonna happen lol. But seriously, call me out if you want then, but I’ll get there, AT LEAST. Gonna shoot for 220. Going to make a new log and start fucking shit up. You’ll see. I don’t make empty promises…

If you can’t eat enough calories, then drink them. Drink your shake with whole milk, add peanut butter to it and just double that shake up… that’s about 500 extra cals right there that you won’t even notice. Drink another one of those a day and you’re gold… at least for a while

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]behexen wrote:
In my exeperience this isn’t the way to gain the leanest of weight but whole milk is a very cheap and effective way to add mass. [/quote]

I tend to think the people even focused on “the leanest of weight” instead of pushing to make the most gaisn in muscle possible will only hold themselves back.

Being leaner does not mean you gain muscle faster. If anythiong, they often gain much slower as a result of being more concerned about their level of leanness than their overall gains.

I know you aren’t saying that specifically, but many can take things that way.[/quote]
I see that your cut is coming right along, X. Looking more jacked every time you post a pic!

Maybe soon the Hater Squad will STFU and learn something.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]actionboy wrote:

Eating calorie-dense food helps. You won’t have to eat as much to get your requirements. And when it’s time to cut, switching to less-calorie-dense food lets you eat almost the same amount, so you’re not starving all the time.[/quote]

ya im just saying the 6 meals a day thing doesnt work for everyone. im not saying dont force yourself to eat more im just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat. i know some fuckin large guys that work as lawyers, doctors, etc etc. that only really have time to drink shakes during the day but once 6 o clock rolls around they eat three or four big meals. it works for them, its what i feel works for me.

but i digress, i guess i didnt eat like this going from 160 to 210. its just how i eat now.

I feel like eating when you are not hungry is a great way to add extra adipose onto your body…If you are not hungry why eat? When I am training my ass off, my body is craving for me to eat like a beast, so I eat, but I am not putting food into my mouth to force feed myself. Did that at one point…turned into a slob.

I only eat 3-4 solid meals a day…Big meals they are but that’s it and I don’t have any shakes.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
I feel like eating when you are not hungry is a great way to add extra adipose onto your body…If you are not hungry why eat? When I am training my ass off, my body is craving for me to eat like a beast, so I eat, but I am not putting food into my mouth to force feed myself. Did that at one point…turned into a slob.

I only eat 3-4 solid meals a day…Big meals they are but that’s it and I don’t have any shakes.[/quote]
Apparently, I don’t gain weight as easily as you. I have found it damn near impossible to gain fat unless I’m eating a bit on the dirty side (except for peanut butter. PB goes right to my love handles now).

Even force feeding on a clean diet only got me to 195, and couldn’t budge the scale from there.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

I only eat 3-4 solid meals a day…Big meals they are but that’s it and I don’t have any shakes.[/quote]
Apparently, I don’t gain weight as easily as you. I have found it damn near impossible to gain fat unless I’m eating a bit on the dirty side (except for peanut butter. PB goes right to my love handles now).

Even force feeding on a clean diet only got me to 195, and couldn’t budge the scale from there.[/quote]

Yeah everyone is different, if what you’re doing is working, keep doing it.