Gaining Weight

I want to gain muscular weight and i know to do this I must eat. Problem is, food costs money and in this recession ( i live in Michigan which is in a recession by itself independent of the national reession) jobs are hard to come by. I applied for unemployment.

Anyway, i want to know what kind of food can I get thats cheap yet will help me build muscle, im 175 and want to get into the 195-200 pound range.

This woman that worked at my old job who was in the marines for a minute (yes she was a bulldyke) told me that if someone was underweight when they went in for recruitement they would be told to eat 5 pounds of potatoes a week and that would put the size on them. What does anyone with experience think of that?

bulk rice, potatoes, peanut butter, and eggs are all lots of calories for cheap. The issue is getting quality protein- tuna can be decently priced, and you can check places that sell meat at the end of the day and try to pick up meat they were supposed to sell but didn’t for cheap.

check out the local grocery store hot food counters near closing time.
I have seen those roasted chicken sell for $2 a bird.

Yeah I have a job, yet still have a hard time getting everything I need and going to school. I’ve been trying to budget a lot

Usually my staples are things like 18 pack eggs Krogers 2.19 i think.

Ground round is cheap (or sometimes I use ground chuck, with all ground beef I rinse the hell out after cooking,sometimes sirloin is cheap as hell, so always look and /compare prices $$)
Red Potatoes are what like .79 cents a lb most places
Yeah and also a lot of places like krogers later in the day will discount certain meats sometimes that will expire soon. So trick is to just cook that shit right away or freeze some.
oatmeal=cheap as hell
orange juice/grape juice

veggies=some fruit/produce markets will discount 2-4 packs of some bruised/soft peppers, plus things like broccoli/ Cauliflower that were still good just an older lot sometimes are marked down.

buy the krogers brand pure olive oil for frying stuff and extra light tasting oil you can use later when needed for quick cals.

plus you also buy the cheap krogers brand kids cereal and use it for pwo mixed with some whey protein and water.

Maltodextrin for pre , during and pwo is cheap as hell usually if you buy huge tubs from Now Foods at vitaminn shoppee.

fish oil i buy when i can afford it (not right now though)
Edit:also I buy the big bags of whole almonds, baking needs section the straight raw almonds.

do it up I’m in Michigan so I know you have a Krogers/Meijers real close I bet

so you bench 145lb dumbells for sets of 10 but you have no clue how to gain weight? This just does not make sense to me.

Whole milk.

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:
so you bench 145lb dumbells for sets of 10 but you have no clue how to gain weight? This just does not make sense to me.[/quote]

Strength is not a problem, and im no expert I just go in and lift whatever i can…im not really into the hows and whys. I may be 175 but im muscular i just want to be muscular at a heavier weight.

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:
so you bench 145lb dumbells for sets of 10 but you have no clue how to gain weight? This just does not make sense to me.[/quote]

Im like a piano prodigy who just sits at a keyboard and can play it without really knowing any of the keys or how to read music.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
eatliftsleep wrote:
so you bench 145lb dumbells for sets of 10 but you have no clue how to gain weight? This just does not make sense to me.

Im like a piano prodigy who just sits at a keyboard and can play it without really knowing any of the keys or how to read music.[/quote]

Yeah and I call bullshit on most of your lifts until I see videos. I know bigger guys who dwarf me and you who have those numbers. I just don’t see you matching their strength.

Oatmeal, tuna, beans, and bulk rice brother. I’ve never seen a 145er. Actually every single “freak size” DB I’ve seen only go up in 10lb increments. Maybe its just me, but something does smell fishy about that claim.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
clip11 wrote:
eatliftsleep wrote:

Im like a piano prodigy who just sits at a keyboard and can play it without really knowing any of the keys or how to read music.

Yeah and I call bullshit on most of your lifts until I see videos. I know bigger guys who dwarf me and you who have those numbers. I just don’t see you matching their strength.[/quote]

Oh ye of little faith…!!! Im not going thru the trouble of posting videos, maybe im too lazy to do it? Who knows!

But ill tell you who does know my lifts, the good folk that work out at the powerhouse gym in highland park and southfield, MI!

Seriously im past the point of trying to get people on here to believe my lifts, I really dont care anymore whether you believe them or not. Plus, my lifts are not the point of this thread but youre trying to make it a point!

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Oatmeal, tuna, beans, and bulk rice brother. I’ve never seen a 145er. Actually every single “freak size” DB I’ve seen only go up in 10lb increments. Maybe its just me, but something does smell fishy about that claim.[/quote]

At my gym (and every other gym ive been to) they go by fives i.e. 130, 135, 140, 145, 150 etc.

Oatmeal, tuna, beans, and bulk rice brother.[/quote]

True, all of these things are cheap as hell in bulk. As said above, whole milk by the gallon. Invest in a Sam’s Club or a CostCo membership and buy eggs by the hundreds.

Oatmeal, tuna, beans, and bulk rice brother. I’ve never seen a 145er. Actually every single “freak size” DB I’ve seen only go up in 10lb increments. Maybe its just me, but something does smell fishy about that claim.[/quote]

That fishy smell may be the tuna you were referring to.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
I want to gain muscular weight and i know to do this I must eat. Problem is, food costs money and in this recession ( i live in Michigan which is in a recession by itself independent of the national reession) jobs are hard to come by. I applied for unemployment.[/quote]

No, not really. Lower your standards. Get a piece of shit job being some peon in a major chain. I guaran-fucking-tee (especially now college semesters are dwindling to the end) that a job is not hard to find, as long as you try enough. Fuck man, when I’m looking for a job, I literally spend like two days rounding up like 50 applications and submitting them.

So again… you’re not trying hard enough.

And when you do get this job, fork up the initial money for Sam’s Club and buy in bulk there.

But please know that when you cruise off of unemployment you are ONLY PERPETUATING THE SYSTEM.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Carlitosway wrote:
clip11 wrote:
eatliftsleep wrote:

Yeah and I call bullshit on most of your lifts until I see videos. I know bigger guys who dwarf me and you who have those numbers. I just don’t see you matching their strength.

Oh ye of little faith…!!! Im not going thru the trouble of posting videos, maybe im too lazy to do it? Who knows!
[/quote]
Knew you were going to say this shit. Look I’ll make this real simple. Get videos of all your lifts and proving each one of them. You said you needed some cash right? I’ll give you 50 bucks via paypal just for proving those numbers.

Don’t give me bullshit like I have no camera or this or that. Everyone has a friend who has a digi. Now put up or shutup.

Yeah also let me know when you go workout. I train @ powerhouse to. Southfield/highland park isn’t that far from me. I could use a partner especially one of your superb strength/sarcasm

Ground Turky, cheap, good and lots of prot

[quote]clip11 wrote:
eatliftsleep wrote:

Im like a piano prodigy who just sits at a keyboard and can play it without really knowing any of the keys or how to read music.[/quote]

False, prodigies don’t exist. The only reason people think they do is that they start when they’re very young. The only think that makes them different is that they work hard past their comfort zone, and find new ways to get over sticking points/humps because of it.

Eggs and whole milk are pretty cheap for what ya get.

Tuna, too.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Carlitosway wrote:
clip11 wrote:
eatliftsleep wrote:

Knew you were going to say this shit. Look I’ll make this real simple. Get videos of all your lifts and proving each one of them. You said you needed some cash right? I’ll give you 50 bucks via paypal just for proving those numbers.

Don’t give me bullshit like I have no camera or this or that. Everyone has a friend who has a digi. Now put up or shutup.

Yeah also let me know when you go workout. I train @ powerhouse to. Southfield/highland park isn’t that far from me. I could use a partner especially one of your superb strength/sarcasm
[/quote]

If you that close you can come see me then you might have even seen me before.