T Nation

Gaining Weight the Only Way to Increase Power?

Since I’ve been training for a few months with Olympic lifters I’ve been hearing things such as “if you gained 30-40 lbs you’d be a real beast,” “you need to eat more dairy and gain more body fat to get stronger”, etc. I don’t understand why I’d need to increase body fat significantly to get higher numbers on my lifts. Back in high school I remember some skinny guys who were very powerful/strong, 165 lbs guys power cleaning 265, 175 lbs squatting 500, etc.

Myself, using a caliper on my obliques it reads at 7-8% body fat, but considering the results I had from a DEXA machine last year, it’s probably really around 9-10% at the most.

As far as weight fluctuations, this summer I was 207 lbs. I have lost about 15 lbs since then, have been eating a TON of healthy food ($600 minimum a month on groceries), and yet I still continue to get stronger and lose body fat. I’m not complaining, and personally I think the ability of the CNS to handle loads is more important than weight. Any thoughts?

You can do it, it just so happens that the bigger you are most of the time the faster you gain.

do it as long as you can, it wont last forever

edit for clarity (as in keep getting stronger, and eating lots of good food, because eventually you will need to eat more to get stronger and grow, my experience anyways)

My guess would be if you are eating more than normal, losing weight and getting stronger, then you werent eating enough to begin with. This happened to me when i began my bulking phase awhile back. Shouldnt last too long.

You can gain strength without gaining fat but its a lot more difficult. Typically, people don’t have the ability to manage their food choices to the point of eating a near perfect amount of calories so their bodies have enough to repair, maintain, and stay fueled for all their calories expenditures. The easy way is to eat more than you need, gain a bit of fat, then lose it for the competition. Therefore, most people will recommend gaining a bit of fat to gain strength, since it’s the simplest and easiest way to get it done.

How have your OLifts/ PLifts increased?

It can be done but it’s not easy and your results will stag when you near 2x bw C&J at the same bw. Most people won’t get past 2x bw without gaining weight unless they were savagely over weight to start with.

Getting stronger is easier then increasing your OLifts due to the technicality of the lifts.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

It can be done but it’s not easy and your results will stag when you near 2x bw C&J at the same bw. Most people won’t get past 2x bw without gaining weight unless they were savagely over weight to start with.

Getting stronger is easier then increasing your OLifts due to the technicality of the lifts.

Koing[/quote]

Well, I’ve hit PRs on both lifts while dropping 15 lbs since the end of the summer. If you can get up to 2x bodyweight on the clean and jerk at the current weight then I still have quite a ways to go before I max out my strength potential around this weight.

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

Well, I’ve hit PRs on both lifts while dropping 15 lbs since the end of the summer. If you can get up to 2x bodyweight on the clean and jerk at the current weight then I still have quite a ways to go before I max out my strength potential around this weight.[/quote]

I can’t C&J 2x bw. At 87kg and cutting to 85kg over the last 2 yrs my lifts have stalled :frowning: so I’ve had to go up, at 90kg and I feel so much stronger. I use to cut froma soft 88 to 85-84 and would be okay but the last cut broke me. I was much harder at 87kg and the water weight just wasn’t coming off like it use to :frowning: and it just drained the f0ck out of me.

Bro has C&J more then 2x bw @ 69kg and 70kg and 62kg. He can drop 1kg a week for 4 weeks and maintain his strength levels for about 4-5 weeks. He’s down to 66.5kg in the morning he will bulk up a bit to 69-70kg.

You’ll know when your not lifting more at a given weight and have to increase your weight. 15lbs?! Whats your bf% before and now?! Thats a chunk of weight to drop buddy! Also the OLifts are technical so not all gains are through strength gains but technical efficiency.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
I can’t C&J 2x bw. At 87kg and cutting to 85kg over the last 2 yrs my lifts have stalled :frowning: so I’ve had to go up, at 90kg and I feel so much stronger. I use to cut froma soft 88 to 85-84 and would be okay but the last cut broke me. I was much harder at 87kg and the water weight just wasn’t coming off like it use to :frowning: and it just drained the f0ck out of me.

Bro has C&J more then 2x bw @ 69kg and 70kg and 62kg. He can drop 1kg a week for 4 weeks and maintain his strength levels for about 4-5 weeks. He’s down to 66.5kg in the morning he will bulk up a bit to 69-70kg.

You’ll know when your not lifting more at a given weight and have to increase your weight. 15lbs?! Whats your bf% before and now?! Thats a chunk of weight to drop buddy! Also the OLifts are technical so not all gains are through strength gains but technical efficiency.

Koing[/quote]

My bf% with a DEXA machine before was around 11.5% (don’t remember how much with calipers, I think maybe 10%), now I’m at around 7-8% with calipers, which means around a 10% body fat from a DEXA machine (most likely). I don’t mind the weight dropping because I look better and am stronger and jump higher.

Before December I’m thinking of getting another DEXA scan done.

[quote]TurboLykes wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

My bf% with a DEXA machine before was around 11.5% (don’t remember how much with calipers, I think maybe 10%), now I’m at around 7-8% with calipers, which means around a 10% body fat from a DEXA machine (most likely). I don’t mind the weight dropping because I look better and am stronger and jump higher.

Before December I’m thinking of getting another DEXA scan done.[/quote]

Aight.

It’ll be interesting to see how long your gains are without having to increase your bodyweight. For me it’s was about 3yrs in the 77’s and 2yrs in the 85’s and now I’m 90kg taking my time to fill out to the 94’s.

Koing

I wish I could put in my 2 cents here but I can’t since I’m a classic endo-mesomorph. I gain muscle and fat easily. When I got heavier, fatter, I got stronger all at the same time. My BW shot up to 240lbs, then I dropped down to 183lbs and not nearly as strong as I was at 240. Yes, it’s a huge drastic bodyweight change, but my body dealt with it just fine. I sure do miss being that strong though and being that heavy. This weight gain happened in the first 5 months. I went from 190 up to 233. I don’t know if this helps brother but I thought I’d tell you my experience with weight gain and strength gain.

Stay Strong.
LCB