Gaining Weight In Spurts

Hey, I’m a newbie builder. I’ve been eating well and working out for a long time but just 4 weeks ago really commited. I am 5’7" and weigh about 120 pounds. Very low body fat but i don’t know what it is.

My problem is that for the first 3 weeks of training, 2,100 calories wasn’t gaining me any weight so i raised my daily intake to 2,600. This wasn’t showing much promise either and i was thinking of rasising it untill halfway through my third week when i, in one day, went from 115-120 lb. and stayed at one twenty for three days till know so its not fluctuation.

Can someone tell me whats wrong?

Dude, same things happened with me. I’ve gained about 20 or 25 pounds in the last year, and I’d go for like a month without gaining, and then put on like 5 pounds in a week and keep it off.

Kind of why I don’t agree with trying to maintain a really low body fat while gaining- you never know when you’re body is ready to really start growing. Muscle growth is defintly not linear. I feel like fat loss is though, for the most part.

For right now, focus on increasing your workout poundages and/or reps each week. As long as these are going up and do not stagnate, you’re on the right course.

Check your middle to see if you can pinch more fat or not to see if your calories are in the right “zone”.

Muscle growth does happen spurts. After about 8 weeks, try a shift in your routine — different rep scheme, muscle groupings, exercises, etc. — and get ready for another spurt!

[quote]LilGuyBigPlans wrote:
Hey, I’m a newbie builder. I’ve been eating well and working out for a long time but just 4 weeks ago really commited. I am 5’7" and weigh about 120 pounds. Very low body fat but i don’t know what it is.

My problem is that for the first 3 weeks of training, 2,100 calories wasn’t gaining me any weight so i raised my daily intake to 2,600. This wasn’t showing much promise either and i was thinking of rasising it untill halfway through my third week when i, in one day, went from 115-120 lb. and stayed at one twenty for three days till know so its not fluctuation.

Can someone tell me whats wrong?[/quote]

Is this a joke?

[quote]pwilliams wrote:
Is this a joke? [/quote]

No. This, as he said, is a newbie. So holster the attitude, Tex.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind and keep lifting as I am, and just a comment. “is this a joke,” does nothing for me but take up space. Thanks to everyone else though