Gaining Weight But Bench Feeling Weak

I’ve been running 5/3/1 for around 9 months, first BBB now SST and I’ve never felt strong benching, but I’m getting bigger but it stills seems to weak for me. When I started BBB I was around 140-145 and benched 200 for a 1rm. Now I’m 160 and I have not maxed out since then, but today(3x5) my last set was 150 and I only managed 6 reps. And it felt pretty difficult.

Also, for reference my press 1rm is 130, which seems much stronger than my bench. Should I just reset my bench even lower and not worry about it? This is the second cycle since my most resent rest which stared at 170, so currently TM is 175.
Thanks

During your last cycle, how many times did you get 145? Also what about your 3+ week and 1+ week?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
During your last cycle, how many times did you get 145? Also what about your 3+ week and 1+ week? [/quote]

I’ll check my log tonight after class and let you know.

Have you added concepts like First Set Last? Or are you doing the basic 5/3/1 program (3 sets of 5, 3 or 1 + rep PRs)?

[quote]some_dude wrote:
Have you added concepts like First Set Last? Or are you doing the basic 5/3/1 program (3 sets of 5, 3 or 1 + rep PRs)?[/quote]
Just standard, using the SST template.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
During your last cycle, how many times did you get 145? Also what about your 3+ week and 1+ week? [/quote]
I only 145 for required reps(5) I didn’t much sleep the night prior. But on 5/3/1 week I did get 160x6 and on 3+ I hit 155x6 as well

[quote]Young33 wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I only 145 for required reps(5) I didn’t much sleep the night prior. But on 5/3/1 week I did get 160x6 and on 3+ I hit 155x6 as well[/quote]
I would keep going if you still get more than your required reps on each week. Sometimes you just have a bad week.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
I would keep going if you still get more than your required reps on each week. Sometimes you just have a bad week. [/quote]

Jim says if you hit the required reps you earn the right to move forward. It is better to get more, but as long as you hit required reps you are good. Set PR’s when you can, but always get the required reps.

Try gaining 10-15 pounds. I know weight gain is the elephant in the room but all the old school power lifters would eat their way out of sticking points. Plus, the bench seems to be really dependent on body weight.

[quote]knormxxx wrote:
Try gaining 10-15 pounds. I know weight gain is the elephant in the room but all the old school power lifters would eat their way out of sticking points. Plus, the bench seems to be really dependent on body weight.[/quote]
I know people throw this out all the time, but not everyone wants to gain a weight just to improve their lifts, especially if they are not already at a high enough level. Sure, eventually the only way to get stronger is to grow more muscle, but most are a long ways off from that level.

[quote]Young33 wrote:
I’ve been running 5/3/1 for around 9 months, first BBB now SST and I’ve never felt strong benching, but I’m getting bigger but it stills seems to weak for me. When I started BBB I was around 140-145 and benched 200 for a 1rm. Now I’m 160 and I have not maxed out since then, but today(3x5) my last set was 150 and I only managed 6 reps. And it felt pretty difficult.

Also, for reference my press 1rm is 130, which seems much stronger than my bench. Should I just reset my bench even lower and not worry about it? This is the second cycle since my most resent rest which stared at 170, so currently TM is 175.
Thanks[/quote]

I thought you were prepping and training for a physical test for being a fireman. Perhaps your training for this goal is hindering one of your workouts. Serving two masters is never a good idea.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]Young33 wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

I thought you were prepping and training for a physical test for being a fireman. Perhaps your training for this goal is hindering one of your workouts. Serving two masters is never a good idea. [/quote]

This is true, benching is not “important” right now. I dont plan on stepping on the platform soon.

As long as Im getting stronger and faster in general and in my firefighting training, im not going to really worry about my bench too much.

[quote]knormxxx wrote:
Try gaining 10-15 pounds. I know weight gain is the elephant in the room but all the old school power lifters would eat their way out of sticking points. Plus, the bench seems to be really dependent on body weight.[/quote]

this is true, but simply not necessary at the moment being that im not competing.

don’t get too caught up in how one workout went. consider sleeping more.

Give it a little more time I’m certain that gaining weight helps the bench press but it takes a little time before it starts to happen. My bench went up about 30lbs the same time I put on 20lbs. Now I’ve lost 15 and my bench is back 15lbs. I found my overhead got very strong when I gained weight too. But the affect on my deadlift was nothing and my squat not so much either.