Gaining Strength with Higher Bodyfat?

Hi, coach
English is my second language, so i´m sorry for my mistakes.
I had injury year ago, i gained a ton of fat during the time when i couldn´t train (27% bodyfat). In last months I´ve tried to lost as much as it was possible (I did Athlete Lean Athlete Strong - great program by the way) and currently I am on 19% bf. I know you are not big fan of bulking above 12-15%, but I cannot drop any fat for 2 months and I thought I could gain some strength. Can you recommend me some of your programs for 3-4 months? Plus, I thought I could do some Energy system work from your article Running man twice a week to avoid gaining fat. Is it good idea?
I really appreciate your work,

MedSt

Try the power look program, good for strength and also has alot of volume for size

Instead of ending your cut short because you stalled, you might wanna drop the calories a little more, add in more cardio/fat burners, increase workout intensity/density, or any other strategy for continued fat loss to get the ball rolling again. If physique is your goal, you’d probably be better served getting your bf lower before trying to add weight

Muscle burns fat , clean up diet a Little, add some cardio .
I just had a girl ask how much weight i lost weight same just put on 15 pounds muscle, in outline muscles, traps, shoulder thighs, calves

What is the most important to you? Being strong or being lean.

Of course we want both, and ideally we will all get more muscular, stronger and leaner.

But knowing what is MOST important to you is still key because it helps make the best choices with your training and diet.

So if you could only have ONE:

1. Carry plenty of fat but be strong

2. Be lean and defined but not that strong

Which one could you best live with, which one is more appealing to you.

If being strong is a lot more important than being lean, by all means stop the fat loss effort and try to get stronger.

But if you really want to be lean, abandoning when it’s starting to get though will NEVER get you lean.

You went up to 27% body fat because you were inactive.

Then you started training again and dropped down to 19%… Trust me dropping from 27 to 19% is EASY if you went from NO training to training… so chances are that to get to 19% you did not have to make many sacrifices and it was fairly easy at first.

Now you reach a point where you have to work for it and maybe sacrifice foods you like. But that what getting lean is about.

I’d like to tell you that everybody can get lean without pain, sacrifices, discipline and effort. But it would be a lie. YES there are some who easily get lean without much effort. But most of us aren’t like that.

To go from 27 to 19% only required to start training again and maybe eat a little better… not difficult.

To go from 19 to 12 you will have to work a lot harder. Do cardio, maybe conditioning work like famer’s walks and sprints, cut out junks from your diet, reducing your carbs and fats, etc. It will be harder work… on some days you will have a hard time not eating the crap food you crave… but that’s how it is for most people.

To get from 12 down to 9-10%, even if it’s only 3% will be much harder than it was to drop down to 12%.

And if you chose to go down even lower, down to 6-7% then on some days you will actually feel like you are losing your mind :slight_smile:

Sadly there is no easy way to get lean, if you are are not someone who is naturally lean. Getting lean is SIMPLE: eat a caloric deficit, reduce carbs and keep them only around your workouts, make your diet mostly veggies and fish/chicken, do cardio, lift hard… SIMPLE… but it’s hard and its why you don’t see that many people getting lean.

So I ask my question again: what is most important to you? Because if getting lean is REALLY important to you, it WILL require sacrifices and effort, it WILL get frustrating at times and it IS a long term process… if you stop dieting as soon as you stall for some time you will never reach your goal.

4 Likes

I’m not the OP but thanks for sharing this @Christian_Thibaudeau. Really helped me not to give up my diet.

Great words, thank you…
My goal is to be healthy, so the answer is clear.
I´ll try to continue.
Can I ask you: Is this good routine to follow for fat loss?

DAY 1

1A Deadlift
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

1B Incline Benchpress
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

2A Back Squat
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

2B Chins
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

Day 2

1A Suitcase Carry Left Hand 5 x 60m
1B Sprint 5 x 60m
1C Suitcase Carry Right Hand 5 x 60m
1D Sprint 5 x 60m

Day 3
some ESW
IBUR
or
1A Jog 10 x 60s
1B Sprint 10 x 15s

Day 4

1A Snatch Deadlift
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

1B Push Press
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

2A Front Squat
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

2B BB Row
Week 1 7x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 2 8x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 3 9x4 70% 1RM EMOM
Week 4 10x4 70% 1RM EMOM

Day 5

ESW

Day 6

1A Suitcase Carry Left Hand 5 x 60m
1B Sprint 5 x 60m
1C Suitcase Carry Right Hand 5 x 60m
1D Sprint 5 x 60m

Day 7

OFF

And again: Thank you.

I would move on to ‘Zombie Apocalypse’ template -will lean you out fast while allowing for strength gains